BrianR

Avchd Video, No Audio

Question

I bought a Lumix ZS30 Superzoom camera with AVCHD video - my first time using this standard. I took it to visit grandkids over the July 4th hoiday and have lots of great videos.

I have a completely fresh Win8 Pro install and a fresh install of Creator NXT Pro on my desktop.

I am able to bring video into VideoWave but I have no sound. The file formats for each video are .M2TS, .CONT, .PMPD and .TMB.

My recording quality says:

AVCHD Progressive

1920x1080, 60p

Image Sensor Output 60p

28Mbps

With GPS information

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help!

7 answers to this question

Ignore the file other than the .m2ts. I googled for them and they are artifacts from the camera.

Download and run Gspot Codec Information program (Link) and tell us what it says about the audio. Just drag one of the files to the Gspot screen and it will tell you about format of both the video and the audio.

In a lot of cases, video taken by cameras masquerading as camcorders have given audio issues. In most of those cases, using a third party converter to high definition mpg2 has solved the problem.

GSpot v2.70a downloaded and installed

Dragging several of the files over, all I get is this:

--- Container ---

File Type MPEG-2 Transport Stream

Mime Type: video/mp2t

I have no info, either video or audio - on the right side of the app.

Do I need to run something else or something different?

Please shoot a 3-5 second video of nothing in particular. Copy it to your computer. There is no need to use a transfer program since the file is already digital and on a memory card. Have music or other playing in the background. Upload it to a file sharing site like UpforDown. We will download it and see what is going on.

Also did you try to use a third party video conversion program? Actually use Video Copy and Convert (part of NXT) to convert the video to a high definition mpg2. file. See if that works in Edit Video _Advanced (Video Wave).

Okay, I think I have good audio + video files - but they have .mts extensions.

The camera cane with PHOTOfunSTUDIO 9.1 PE, and insisted that it was needed to transfer the videos. So when I use that product to move the files, they end up in a .m2ts format but without audio in VideoWave. Other programs were able to play the same .m2ts file without issue.

What is the difference between a .mts extension file and a .m2ts extension file? Am I losing some functionality with the .mts file?

Sknis, thanks for your help and your patience!

Post a link to the on-line manual for that camera. Have you tried just copying the file to your computer = what have you got to lose? I have as well as others have transferred digital files to computers and it won't screw up your computer.? Are you going to post a short video so we can look at it (as requested) ?

You camera allows for two different video file types (if I remember it right) have you tried using the "other" file type?

Please, we are trying to do some troubleshooting and you are not responding. You post as if you don't read the responses we make. It is hard to help if we feel ignored and you go off in different directions. Sometimes you have to take baby steps in learning and be comfortable with one piece of knowledge before trying to solve you own problem: You posted "What is the difference between a .mts extension file and a .m2ts extension file? Am I losing some functionality with the .mts file?"

Feel free to Google for that information . Go here and read (link). Hint: Same format under different names.

Videowave has trouble with some audio formats.

Please post the sample file sknis asked for.

My cannon with .MOV extension has no audio when added to videowave too.

Sknis and cdanteek,

First off, thanks for your replies - I have followed your posts for years.

My last post was meant to say that I found the files I should have copied over to begin with, and they were .mts files. I was embarrassed because I should have done this before posting to you. These files with .mts extensions seem to work just fine in Videowave.

I did google .mts vs .m2ts and got ambiguous results in the two hits I read, so my question to Sknis was in case there is something bad about the .mts file type.

At this point I think I'm back up and running with .mts files. If you want me to continue with samples for the sake of improving knowledge, I'll be happy to help any way that I can.

Thanks, Brian