sweston7

Adaptec Directcd Upgrade Question

I had Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4.02d_d5 and Adaptec DirectCD 3.01d_d5 (Dell version) on my PC under Windows Me. When I upgraded to XP Home Edition the DirectCD did not work, so I can't access my files and pictures on CD. What's the best replacement product from Roxio so I can get to my files? Also, is there any problem buying Roxio products (e.g., Easy Media Creator 8) on eBay (I don't want a gray market copy)? They seem to be going for a lot less on eBay! Thanks in advance!

Steve

Hi Steve,

I just read my Direct CD 3.05 test disc when using Easy Media Creator 7.5's "Drag to Disc", and it read fine.

Drag to Disc (D2D) is the equivalent of the earlier Direct CD.

I think that D2D did an unauthorized write to the disc when I ejected it though, as it told me to wait while it prepared the disc for ejection and now the disc reads whether D2D is running or not.

Pah! Now I have to install version 3 again to make another test disc. I didn't need that.

eBay has always been a good source of genuine discs from owners who are upgrading and want to sell their old version. I think you're unlikely to get genuine Version 8 discs from there as it's the latest version, although I have seen some members saying they're going back to 7.x until 8's teething problems get fixed. I think if you can find a genuine 7.5 there it should be worth getting. There are also a lot of good discount deals going out there.

I think you should be aware, once you get access to your photos again, that storing them on a rewriteable disc is NOT a good idea since CDRWs lose data quite quickly. Neither is storing them on formatted discs because of reliability and interchangeability issues.

For reliability and universal access, store precious stuff on CD-Rs written as a standard CDROM by Creator Classic.

I had Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4.02d_d5 and Adaptec DirectCD 3.01d_d5 (Dell version) on my PC under Windows Me. When I upgraded to XP Home Edition the DirectCD did not work, so I can't access my files and pictures on CD. What's the best replacement product from Roxio so I can get to my files? Also, is there any problem buying Roxio products (e.g., Easy Media Creator 8) on eBay (I don't want a gray market copy)? They seem to be going for a lot less on eBay! Thanks in advance!

Steve

eBay copies are, by and large, being either sold on by someone who has upgraded, or sold by liquidators (apparently the person who had a few cases of ECDC 5.0 has finished them off; someone with a case or more of ECDC 5 Compaq edition has started selling), or sold by people who apparently bought a bunch and got the rebates, and now is selling the discs with book - no box, no rebate.

Selling a CD-R (except as a CD-R, by the spindle or otherwise) is illegal, and can get the seller permantly banned from eBay.

I've bought a few hundred music CDs and some software thru eBay (and sold a hundred or more CDs), with no CD-Rs.

Generally, when software has just been discontinued (when the newest Version has just come out) is when you get your best bargains on eBay (and amazon.com and overstock.com, etc). It would probably be a good time to get good prices on EMC 7.5.

CAUTION: when buying new software or hardware, always READ THE SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS and be sure you can use it on YOUR computer.

Lynn

Steve

I have the same problem. Was wondering if there was a free download. My computer says my drivers have been disabled due to compatibility and may cause problems in stability of Windows. Wondering about any new driver downloads to support this on my XP. Any suggestions. Thanks a lot!

I have the same problem. Was wondering if there was a free download. My computer says my drivers have been disabled due to compatibility and may cause problems in stability of Windows. Wondering about any new driver downloads to support this on my XP. Any suggestions. Thanks a lot!

Read this:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=805

You could you use the CD writing program contained in XP (if that meets your needs).

Edited by ogdens