• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 24 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Question

This is for the Digital Guru, I have a brand new Dell with plenty of power and memory..using Windows 8. I installed Roxio NXT , and MYDVD does not see either drives when drying to burn. The burn button stays gray..I tried different media on both drives. I tried upgrading all my Windows 8 drivers and nothing changed. I installed the PX Engine newer version 16A, and again nothing... the funny thing is that when I insert a blank DVD, the speed for burning shows up, but nothing else happens..there has to be a fix for this.. Ive read many post with the same problem and Ive tried all the tricks, but now I ran out of tricks out of my hat.. Ive seen you answer many people on this, but maybe by now you have a solution... any help will be appreciated.. thanks

I have a brand new Dell with plenty of power and memory..using Windows 8. I installed Roxio NXT , and MYDVD does not see either drives when drying to burn. The burn button stays gray..I tried different media on both drives. I tried upgrading all my Windows 8 drivers and nothing changed. I installed the PX Engine newer version 16A, and again nothing... the funny thing is that when I insert a blank DVD, the speed for burning shows up, but nothing else happens..there has to be a fix for this.. Ive read many post with the same problem and Ive tried all the tricks, but now I ran out of tricks out of my hat.. Maybe someone has had this problem and found the solution., my drives work fine in any other programs, even worked with Roxio 11, but not Roxio NXT, any help will be appreciated.. thanks

Does Windows see your optical drives (Burner)? I got a new Dell recently and had to contact support. They determined that the UpperFilter and LowerFilters needed to be deleted. Once that happened everything worked OK.

Here is more information. Be careful. If you decide to do this, make sure you back up your registry.

This is another one directly from Microsoft.

Edited by sknis

the funny thing is that when I insert a blank DVD, the speed for burning shows up, but nothing else happens..

post-97-0-30009300-1373897849_thumb.jpg

Yes windows and other programs see the drives...and the burn to disk box is checked, but the bottom burn box is gray.should I try the upper and lower filter trick?

Yes windows and other programs see the drives...and the burn to disk box is checked, but the bottom burn box is gray.should I try the upper and lower filter trick?

I have to test this but is your W-8 a x64 bit version?

If so try this to the 'T'.

http://forums.suppor...post__p__374534

I also noticed on your picture that the target media is -R DL on my computer it shows the same thing....does that mean its looking for -R media? I only have +R media!

ok...I went to My Registry, saved or exported a copy, looked at the GUID number for my DVD drives and by the way, under Device manager, they are both the same... I don't get an error code, so I can't find and error code in the registry. I found the Lower Filter number is PxHiPa64, but couldn't find any UpperFilter numbers to look at anywhere, even in the Device manager, no error codes. I didn't make any changes because I don't know where to go from here. My last post, I meant to say that YES, I have the windows 8 -64 bit version... any other suggestions? I appreciate your help.

ok...I went to My Registry, saved or exported a copy, looked at the GUID number for my DVD drives and by the way, under Device manager, they are both the same... I don't get an error code, so I can't find and error code in the registry. I found the Lower Filter number is PxHiPa64, but couldn't find any UpperFilter numbers to look at anywhere, even in the Device manager, no error codes. I didn't make any changes because I don't know where to go from here. My last post, I meant to say that YES, I have the windows 8 -64 bit version... any other suggestions? I appreciate your help.

Post # 3 sknis advised on lower filters.

In post # 6 I advised on getting the pxengine4_18_16a re-applied.

Why and how you mixed them both together is beyond me?

Try the suggestion in post # 6 and only that, now tell me if it fixed your problem?

Ok, now I'm confused...I thought I was talking to the same person... but apparently not... when you say pxengine4_18_16a re-apllied..what does that mean? do you want me to re-install?

I installed it once, but nothing changed... and what do I need to do get lower filters...? I'm not that experienced and trying to understand, but again, I'm a little confused!

What can I try or do next...there has to be a simple solution!

Here is another weird deal...my drives works in Roxio, but not MyDVD which is a program within Roxio! I can burn a data disk and an audio disk, but when I work on videos and then try to make a DVD in MYDVD, thats when both drives are not seen...

Did you click the link in post # 6?

Follow the post the link takes you to.

Can you do that with your computer and communication skills?

When you say Post #6 , Im assuming you mean ( in BLUE) Line number 6, where it says Click Here You no longer access the CD Drive or DVD drive?

I did that, both with the FIX IT and Manually by uninstalling the drivers, re-booting and trying the program again...

Unless there is a Post #6, which these posts are not numbered, if we are talking about these Topic Posts?

Again, I've done all of that, probably too many times already... I noticed now that the lowerfilters in my registry are gone...and I didn't remove them myself, so something I did removed them.

But nothing has changed... the program " MY DVD" in Roxio, still does not see the drives.

NEXT?

When you say Post #6 , Im assuming you mean ( in BLUE) Line number 6, where it says Click Here You no longer access the CD Drive or DVD drive?

I did that, both with the FIX IT and Manually by uninstalling the drivers, re-booting and trying the program again...

Unless there is a Post #6, which these posts are not numbered, if we are talking about these Topic Posts?

Again, I've done all of that, probably too many times already... I noticed now that the lowerfilters in my registry are gone...and I didn't remove them myself, so something I did removed them.

But nothing has changed... the program " MY DVD" in Roxio, still does not see the drives.

NEXT?

I'm referring to this post the link takes you to!

You don't follow directions and go off on your own tangent doing all kinds of things that we don't have a clue what you are doing..

When your ready to follow suggestions to fix your problem let us know?

post-97-0-49921500-1373933781_thumb.jpg

Why are you on this forum with an attitude? I just noticed that the posts are numbered on THE FAR RIGHT, I was always looking on the left, where it should be! But always assumed you were talking about the 17 solutions in BLUE that you print each and every time you post!

I did run that pxengine, more then once, and told you that!

Don't know if you work for Roxio or not, but if you do, I don't think they would be happy with the way you respond to people like me needing help!

You don't have to go out of your way and help me anymore, I can find someone else with a little more patience...

You should find another hobby!

Unless they are Clearly Identified, no one here works for Roxio... We are just fellow users who have lots of experience and try to assist others who normally appreciate it...

Good luck with your problem ;)

I appreciate the fact that your all trying to help, but when they start being disrespectful , thats when I draw the line. I wasn't understanding his instructions when referring to post numbers..

The point is, if your going to be here to help, you got to have patience...a lot of us are beginners and learning as we go!

There is no reason to get nasty like he did! He needs to explain himself better, and keep is cool!

Rule #1: When somebody is trying to help you, don't snap at him and bite the hand that feeds you. You may end up alone and hungry.

MoreofMe, did you figure it out. I am having the same problem with mine and like you I'm afraid if I start poking around in my computer I will royaly mess it up installing the pxengine. It seems odd we both have the same problem. I'm using a Toshiba S55 I7. I was hoping I could take my new gopro(three weeks old) put the files on my new computer(two weeks old)and edit with my new software (three days old) and enjoy it. My mistake is I went from using a normal camcorder with a normal computer (10 years old) and editing with the older videowave (8 years ago) and now I'm totally lost in windows 8. I've been reading a lot of posts on here about nxt trying to figure it out and from the complexity of the help I'm thinking I wasted 100$ and Roxio isn't what it was 8 years ago. Wish there was a better return policy on software. For the guru, I have another post on this you are already helping me with so no need to post here unless you know something the other guy didn't. I know it's hard to fix someone's computer over the internet when they themselves don't know how to run it. http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/89384-nxt-says-no-disk-inserted/.

MoreofMe, did you figure it out. I am having the same problem with mine and like you I'm afraid if I start poking around in my computer I will royaly mess it up installing the pxengine. It seems odd we both have the same problem. I'm using a Toshiba S55 I7. I was hoping I could take my new gopro(three weeks old) put the files on my new computer(two weeks old)and edit with my new software (three days old) and enjoy it. My mistake is I went from using a normal camcorder with a normal computer (10 years old) and editing with the older videowave (8 years ago) and now I'm totally lost in windows 8. I've been reading a lot of posts on here about nxt trying to figure it out and from the complexity of the help I'm thinking I wasted 100$ and Roxio isn't what it was 8 years ago. Wish there was a better return policy on software. For the guru, I have another post on this you are already helping me with so no need to post here unless you know something the other guy didn't. I know it's hard to fix someone's computer over the internet when they themselves don't know how to run it. http://forums.suppor...disk-inserted/.

You are better off following your thread than hijacking another thread. ;)

You are better off following your thread than hijacking another thread. ;)

I am following my own thread, posted on it two minuites ago. but the whole purpose of blogs is to talk to people who are having the same problems and have figured it out. Since MoreOfMe has the same problem I'm curious if he has figured it out or if his software is picking up dust on the shelf.

I am following my own thread, posted on it two minuites ago. but the whole purpose of blogs is to talk to people who are having the same problems and have figured it out. Since MoreOfMe has the same problem I'm curious if he has figured it out or if his software is picking up dust on the shelf.

MoreOfMe seemed to have a problem with attitude. :(

He started arguing with the Gurus and when he was told that wasn't appreciated, he stalked off the board and hasn't logged on since then.

Bought NXT Pro 3 on April 2, 2015. While trying to burn from MY DVD I get the Drive Is Empty notice using Windows 7. I tried to get help but they are closed Thursday and Friday for Good Friday.. Monday, I need a code to get a one time free support in the first 14 days of ownership. I called the sales number to say I never got a code. I bought it from Roxio online and they say the code in in the receipt email. No it is not. So I buy a one time telephone support for $25fso I can talk to them. After I explained it to him he said he will not charge this call against it and it is good for a year. No refund. We tried a few things that did not work. He escalated it to the next tier of support.

I got an email from Antonio which said:

Are you getting the "drive is empty" status message in the "Burn Project" window of the Roxio MyDVD ("Create DVDs") program? If so, have you tried to burn a data disc project to see if it works?

See if saving your MyDVD project to a disc image first, and then burning the saved disc image to DVD later, will work. Please refer to the link below for instructions on how to create a disc image and burn it to DVD.

I replied:

I can burn a data disk and the save to iso image and then burn it. Please call. I paid for phone support. 715-38#-####

Then he replied in another email:

The reason I asked about whether you are able to burn a data disc, or save a disc image of your MyDVD project and burn it, is because the "drive is empty" issue is a known issue that has no existing fix at this point for computers that are affected. This issue has already been reported to our Engineering department, but we have not received any feedback at this time as to how this problem can be corrected.

All we can provide is the disc image work-around, stated above. Another work-around is to use an external USB DVD writer.

When you buy a pricey piece of software you expect it to work 100% and not have to use a work-around. When you are supposed to get a free one time support and have to pay $25 to find out why and to get support and never get support it stinks,

I called back in and a nice guy said he could get me refunds but he would send me links in email because I had to do it myself. I filled out both forms online and removed the software and ageed to destroy it and got my refunds in a couple of hours.

I previously used Roxio Easy Media Creator on a Windows XP machine and really liked it but it will not run in Windows 7. My windows 7 computer is maybe 6 months old,I don't want Win 8, and I even bought another DVD drive. One of their techs said he thinks my DVD drives are too new for their software.

Now I'm stuck using cheap software I do not like. PLEASE FIX YOUR SOFTWARE.

This Topic is for NXT whereas you are using 3 versions later and after almost 2 years, time to lock it up!

If you like we can move your post to the right forum?

I don't think your in the mood to care, but this problem effects only a tiny portion of users and while we don't work for Roxio were are experienced users and have not been able to even pin down the circumstances for when it happens :huh:

The band aid fix you got is the best there is until such time as it can be identified and eliminated.