Sir Alverez

Creator Doesn't Recognize My Burner

Question

Hello-A few months ago I bought Creator NXT pro, loaded the installation cds and was making my own mix cds in no time. Within the last 2 months Creator is not able to recognize my CD burner. I have paid tech support twice to help me with the problem only to have the problem return. I am tired of forking over money to get a band aid and would prefer to find a method that makes my program burn cds like it used to do. What kind of information do I need to supply to help get a solution?

10 answers to this question

Hello,

Good information to start with would be:

[1] When your system is working properly, what changes are made which cause it to lose recognition of the burner?

[2] What did Tech Support get you to do which made the burner recognized once more? [as much detail as possible, please]

[3] When the system loses the burner again, have you tried doing the fixes that Tech Support told you about?

[4] What other CD/DVD burning software do you have installed?

Regards,

Brendon

Brendon-You are asking the right kind of questions but I don't think that I will be able to adequately answer them. Installation of NXT pro was in late November. I made about 15 cds since then. In January I spent a lot of time with an online tech who worked long hours trying to find the anwer to my problem. Somewhere along the way I noticed that NXT was now recognizing my burner when nothing had really been "fixed". There is a button that allows you to pick your writer speed and sometimes this button does not appear so I am unable to pick my speed. The last time I worked with tech help they clicked on the button (which somehow appeared) and my problem was "solved". I fear that I will have to either a) pay once again to get this problem fixed or B) use an older version of Roxio which worked for me in the past. I have turned off my i-tunes burner for fear that I may get a conflict between software. Last night I had to burn a cd so I used my windows media burner which worked like a champ. I'm sorry to say that I did not notice what the tech experts tried. All I know is that my aiblity to burn mix cds has been curtailed by the inablitily of the software to work.

Sir Alverez,

It's sad there wasn't something very obvious that they could point at and fix whenever it was needed, but I guess that's computers for you.

I'm wondering if perhaps you have a registry filter problem? That could explain why Windows sees the drive while Roxio doesn't. I have seen cases where the iTunes software has caused a problem.

To explain:

-Windows uses a registry key to allow it to communicate with optical drives, and as long as that registry key is intact then Windows Explorer [My Computer] can open discs and the Windows Media Player burner can operate on them.

-Roxio uses a filter entry it installs in that same registry key, to allow the Roxio programs to connect to the CD/DVD drives.

-If the Roxio filter entry gets disturbed then the Roxio programs lose contact with the drive, although Windows keeps operating happily.

-If the actual registry key gets damaged Windows will rebuild it from scratch, but it gets rebuilt to factory settings without the Roxio filter.

What I'd like you to do is look at the registry key and post a screenshot of what you see. There are several ways of looking at it, but this doesn't require you to install extra software.

-Run REGEDIT, the Windows registry editor

-Press Ctrl and F (find) and search for lowerfilters. Regedit should show you a key which looks like this, for the first few lines anyway

post-208-0-69149200-1374285281_thumb.jpg

Can you make a screenshot of your key and post it here please? If you don't know how, come back to me and I'll point you to instructions.

Regards,

Brendon

-

Edited by Brendon

Brendon,

I was able to get to the area you mentioned but I was unable to paste the information that you wanted to see. Would you be so kind and give me the information to place the screen capture you requested?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Sorry to be so long before I answered. Much has been happening at home, and I'm in a different time zone.

Presuming you have managed to grab the screenshot, please see Big Jim's post on how to attach it to a message in the forum. http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/74120-posting-a-picturescreen-cap-on-roxio/

If you're having trouble capturing the screenshot, there's a nifty application called PrtScr at Fiastarter.com which will grab the whole screen or just part of it and drop it on your desktop as a JPG or PNG file. It's small, free, and here http://www.fiastarta.com/PrtScr/Download.html and I use it all the time.

Regards,

Brendon

Brendon,

I hope I gave you the correct screen capture.

JeffREG.pdf

Take a .jpg screen shot next time you need one and post the .jpg not a Adobe Reader pdf..

post-97-0-13442700-1374506353_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the help, Cdanteek.

Yes Jeff, that's excellent thanks. Your key is identical to the one in my Windows 8 operating machine [not the old specimen in post #4.] You're running a 64-bit Windows 7 or 8, right?

The filter entry is in the registry as it should be, but if Roxio isn't seeing the optical drive [but Windows is] then the filter isn't working properly.

Can you check for the filter system file, PxHlpa64.sys please? It should be in the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers folder.

Would you check and see if it's there, please?

Regards,

Brendon

Okay Jeff, if the file is in the right place and it is referenced properly in the registry, then something else must have broken in there.

It is part of Roxio's PX Engine, and that's the only mechanism I know of which handles Roxio seeing and dealing with optical drives. The only suggestion I have left is to reinstall the PX engine to try and fix whatever link is broken.

Luckily Cdanteek has given a very detailed set of instructions for what is a quite short procedure, but to make them work you have to follow them precisely.

Please read post #6 in this topic http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/74799-no-drive-detected/?do=findComment&comment=374534 to download the file and reinstall the PX Engine. Feel free to come back here is you have any questions about doing that, and of course let us know if the procedure helps you.

Regards,

Brendon