Editing Commercials From Movie

bandello

Question

Hi,

I've followed the directions for editing commercials from a movie. I've set the markers for commercials i'd like to remove. As you can see from the enclosed picture, I have 8 commercials that I'd like to remove. I had hit my DELETE button on them but when I went to burn the DVD, the commercials had not been deleted. Can someone please explain what I'm supposed to do after they've been "marked".

Thanks

post-113895-0-19873800-1374162127_thumb.png

2 answers to this question

There isn't a Delete button so you must be referring to the OK button. The editor tells Toast what segments to skip when making the video DVD while leaving the original video file untouched. When you click OK you should see Toast report the video as being shorter in time in the main Toast window.

It should have worked. I notice that your video has MPEG audio. This is uncommon. I wonder if Toast isn't able to trim out segments when the source has MPEG audio. I don't have anything with that to try. It's more common for videos with MPEG 2 video to have AC-3 or PCM audio.

Since it should have worked but didn't, my only suggestion is to use the freeware MPEG Streamclip to trim out the commercials. With Streamclip you mark and in and an out point and make that edit, and then proceed to the next in and out point. When you're done choose Save as MPEG to write a new video file which you then can add to Toast.

Hi,

And thanks very much for the reply and suggestions. I'm still wondering if there's something I'm doing wrong. I did see that when I had put the "markers" in (as shown in the picture that the file size/length was shorter than the original. I do remember in one of the videos that the original file is not "destroyed". So, it's a non-destructive edit. But why it didn't edit out the commercials is a mystery to me. I'll try the Streamclip, or I may try and contact Roxio and speak to a Tech person if I can't get it to work again. About the audio source, I'm not sure about that either. I'll do some research on this on the Roxio website Q/A.

Thanks again.

Dan