• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Question

I work on the Windows platform - in Adobe Photoshop CS6 Extended and Photomatix. I create my Virtual Tours in Roxio Creator 2012 Pro. Host them myself on my own website. Send agents the link and they hook it up to their listings on the MLS. I've been exporting to Windows Media Video 9, 1280 x 720. Looks great on my monitor; clients love them. All tours are similar to this one - http://www.TorontoRe...keleyStreet.wmv PLEASE HELP me figure out which settings I need to everyone can see the tours on all mediums. Too many options, and I don't know what they mean!! Thanks so very much! :)

Edited by Thea

22 answers to this question

This would be better served if it were in the Creator 2012 Forums... I will get it moved ;)

I looked at your link and would guess you are using 4 second frames with a 1 second transition???

That leaves about 3 seconds of viewing which is a bit fast for my tastes. I would bump the frame to 5 seconds which will leave 4 seconds to look.

As far as a setting???

What issues have you had feedback on?

Oh my, Jim - you're very fast!! Thank you so much for moving this to where it should be!

I'm using 3.5 seconds with the transition (not sure how long that is). This is the speed my clients want. Viewers can stop it when they want to get a longer view. Apparently a quick, overall view is the preference.

(I don't know how to leave a line space between paragraphs (return doesn't work), as yours - sorry! Also hope font size is what I see. Seems terribly large. Apologies if I'm messing up

I've been told it can't be seen on a MAC. I suggested the free download to generate Windows files. Apparently exporting as Windows Media Video 9, 1280 x 720 can't be seen on some mediums (iPads, etc.?) I can't check, but one new client said the homeowners couldn't view the Tour.

HERE ARE MY SETTINGS ... Destination - Video File ... Purpose - All (someone suggested setting that to AVC H.264, but he wasn't sure, and if I change it, I have no idea what to set the Video File Quality to - since I don't know what any of this means ... Circle clicked - NTSC ... Video file quality - Windows Media Video 9, 1280x720 VBR. Is any of this making any sense? I thank you in advance for your patience.

Edited by sknis
Added Paragraphs.

Hello again, I've attached the PDF files of my settings in the hope that it makes clearer what my choices are and why I'm totally unsure of which settings to use - in order to create Virtual Tours which everyone can see, when I've posted them on my site, sent my client the link, and viewers who go to the MLS listing can see them on various mediums - at home and on-the-go.

I love my PC and am very familiar with Photoshop (which I've used since the first version came out in 1989), and now Photomatix for post-processing. I've ALWAYS worked on a PC, and at this stage in my career simply cannot change anything. I'm not a tekky and don't have the knowledge to make informed choices.

Thank you for your help + patience!ProgramSettings01.pdfProgramSettings02.pdfProgramSettings03.pdfProgramSettings04.pdfProgramSettings05.pdfProgramSettings06.pdfProgramSettings07.pdfProgramSettings08.pdfProgramSettings09.pdf

Edited by sknis
Edit, added paragraphs markers.

The quality of the video link posted is excellent!

I'm viewing it on a home desktop PC in W-7 or W-8 with a 26" monitor.

If you post it in less quality like a postage stamp for iphones or android phones the quality I'm seeing now will suffer.

How about posting more than one file so they can choose the device they are viewing it with, but that makes more work for you.

Experiment with output, export as, NTSC, all, and use less quality settings and have folks give you feedback.

Thanks for all this information - and the links.

I guess I was dreaming someone would simply give me a step-by-step of which settings should be in each of the Roxio Creator 2012 Pro setting spaces (from the long lists that pop up) to create a Tour which could be seen at best quality in all mediums, when the link is put up on the MLS.

From the info above, it seems you need my computer specs in addition to my Roxio version.

My files are large (about 35-65 megs). I'm not compressing, but am afraid to switch any settings because that may pose more problems than I have now.

Since I have no idea what the technical words mean, I've stuck with the way they were when I purchased the software - since changing 1 setting, produces different and a lot of various additional settings - none of which mean anything to me.

Your help is much appreciated. I can appreciate it must be difficult to help someone who has no idea of the terminology. And, I'm sorry if I included my email address - couldn't find where I did that.

Edited by sknis

Addressing viewing the files on a computer. MAC default browser is Safari. (Note there is a PC version also) I was able to watch the wmv file on it using Safari on my PC. I had no problems watching the vidoe on the MAC. The difference is (in my case) the PC playback started almost immediately, the MAC had to download the file before it would play it.

I don't own any Apple products other than the laptop. They may take different formats for the portable devices. You may have to create a web page with links to the WMV files and to ones that the IPhone and IPad will take. I'm not sure how the MLS site works so you may have to create more than one page. I think that you can select one format and size and it will do for everyone..

Once you have your wmv done, in Video Wave, select to output (top menu) select "All". The drop down will list the applicable formats for IPAd, IPod and IPhone. I think you didn't scroll down far enough.

I'm sorry if I am repeating something from above but I thought that the image may help. (By the way, I added some paragraphs in your posts above. I volunteer at and organization that has the same issue with paragraphs on that computer. The organization is one thta teaches computers to seniors and none of the techs can figure it out).

post-58-0-96910100-1374181517_thumb.jpg

Edited by sknis

I would guess that you are using Internet Explorer 10??? - the board software here has never been updated to work with it and getting Carriage Returns to work requires more than most users are up to :lol:

Steve is probably not aware but Apple has discontinued Safari for Windows ;)

I am wondering if the MP4 format would work for both???

I use it for many of my movies that I want to show in my iPad 2.

I Do Not have a MAC but will ask my Nephew what will work!

I was not aware that Safari for Windows was no longer available. :blink:

Edited by sknis

Thanks, guys!! :P

First, yes, I use Internet Explorer 10. And, I've found how to do carriage returns - by typing in my notepad and copy/paste here!

I know nothing about Apple products, IPhones, IPads, etc. and have a cell phone but only for emergencies when I'm on faraway photo shoots.

Yes, I have selected 'All' in the output menu. I have scrolled down all the way, and 'Windows Media Video 9, 1280x720 VBR' is near the bottom. The 'iPad Better Quality' bothers me a little. Why isn't there a 'Best Quality'. And 1280x720 seems a large size - which I'd want for full-screen viewing (but not sure anybody actually does that!).

MPEG files seem to be the most versatile, right?

I thought of trying 'MPEG-2High Definition 1080' - but not sure what's the difference between the 'i' and 'p'.

Thanks again, everybody, but I have to shut down. I've been at this almost non-stop since 4am! Tomorrow's another day. :blink:

I am still waiting for some MAC people to get back to me :lol:

The "P" & "I" are for TV's... They are Progressive or Interlaced and Progressive is yeilds the most accepted results.

hahahaha! I've always thought MACs are slower than PCs. :rolleyes: (Look who's talking, right?) Thanks bunches for the effort, and info re the 'p' and 'i'.

Now I am the weakest link...

I have made some files up and gathered some screen caps but I don't have time to TEST them right now :huh:

In VideoWave, I used both AVCHD 1280 x 720P/24 AND iPad 720p HD. (both under the AVC (H264) options.

I am hoping to find a One File Fits Both solution but I need to test both out...

The 'iPad 720' produces a smaller file since it encodes at almost 1/2 the bit rate of the other.

That is another thing I want to check on ~ Quality.

If anyone else can slap together samples and test them on PC & MAC & iPad, please feel free to do so!!! ;)

I had a chance to do some testing and it looks like MP4 is one that is readable to both a MAC and a PC while maintaining the same quality that you are using now...

Using Creator 2012, VideoWave it goes like this:

Export As:

post-39730-0-88114200-1374366425_thumb.jpg

Purpose - AVC (H.264):

post-39730-0-82141800-1374366433_thumb.jpg

iPad 720p HD:

post-39730-0-80551800-1374366442_thumb.jpg

Resulting in:

post-39730-0-24147900-1374366452_thumb.jpg

or AVCHD:

post-39730-0-33832900-1374366462_thumb.jpg

Resulting in:

post-39730-0-87085700-1374366470_thumb.jpg

The Files:

post-39730-0-15619500-1374366481_thumb.jpg

I did not choose the prettiest file for a sample...

But if you want to look at them:

iPad:

http://www.upfordown...Pad 720p HD.mp4

AVCHD:

http://www.upfordown...0 X 720p 24.mp4

I would suggest you try it for yourself using a few slides of high detail and post a 5 or 10 second test sample of each using those settings.

Then look at them and get someone with a MAC to download them and see what you think ;)

I did not test on my iPad 2, but will if you like?

You're amazing, Jim. So sorry I've been away - my hard drive died soon after my last post last Friday, and I had to have a new one installed/formatted. Presently my husband's in the process of reinstalling everything. Then I start on my settings, etc.. What a mess. I did NOT forget about you, and can't thank you enough for all your efforts and responses. This is the first time since Friday I've been able to get onto the internet - and wanted first to let you know why you've not heard from me. My printer's not yet 'hooked up', but I'll print this to PDF so I can print it, and work with it, when I'm fully back up. You've cheered me up - and I thank you again for sticking with it. I'll let you know how it goes. Warm regards, Thea

...So sorry I've been away - my hard drive died soon after my last post last Friday...

I had NOTHING to do with that!!! :lol::D:lol:

When you get it back together, we should talk about Backup Programs ;)

Hello, Jim ... I'm back!! Thank you again so much for your continuing patience and wonderful help. I DO KNOW you had nothing to do with the computer crash - LOL. Lost the hard drive, but my husband DOES back up every week or so on an external hard drive. Unfortunately, it hadn't been done for about 3 weeks, so that meant searching and redoing a bunch of stuff. Reinstalling Windows is a mess. All 900+ contacts in 1 folder, instead of the 10+ into which I had them all organized. If it weren't for computer crashes and family emergencies / obligations, we could actually get some work done, right?! I want to thank you WHOLEHEARTEDLY for the fantastic time and effort you've put into getting me the information I needed. Here's a link to my last Virtual Tour .... http://www.TorontoRealEstatePhotographer.com/Videos/625MarksburyRdPickering.mp4 Photos aren't up to the quality I'd like, but with the computer down and Photomatix not yet installed (and did I tell you, the camera in the shop, so using a loaner), I processed them in Camera Raw only - and no music. Amazing results, though with the new Roxio settings ... 1280 x 720 p 24 mp4. ONE QUERY ... your file (above) is MPEG-4 Movie. My file is MP4 Video - and with 36 processed photos and simple transition (no music and no pan/zoom), the file size is 137,916KB ... about 100,000KB larger than my average WMV file size. It took about 20 minutes to upload to my website - but amazingly enough, when I sent the link to my client, it took only 3 seconds to load so he could view it. The time it took with the WMV file was approx. 25-35 seconds!! Amazing. I'm still trying to figure out why my file doesn't say, 'Movie' and why the file size is so large - or is that normal? The photos ARE 1280x720p @ 72dpi - but there are 35-45 of them in each Tour. Thanks so much again. I'm seriously MUCH further ahead than I was before, and my VT looks great.

Where are seeing the terms "MPEG 4 Video" and "MPEG 4 Movie"?

I am guessing it is in Windows Explorer in the Type Field, like these:

post-39730-0-03477600-1375130226_thumb.jpg

These 'types' are assigned to the Extension of the file by a Program associated with that file extension. It does not really have any meaning...

Files sizes are a function of the quality of the file, the length (movie) and bit rate is was rendered with.

Roxio normally does Fixed Bit rate rendering with the exception of its' WMV outputs. There you will note the work Variable is used (VBR).

Naturally it will usually produce the smallest files. But sometimes you sacrifice Quality to get them and you release all control to the program.

Here are 3 outputs based the same 49 second file and their sizes:

post-39730-0-42113900-1375133660_thumb.jpg

Thanks again, Jim ... and you're right! Windows Explorer. And quality was certainly compromised with the wmv file. This mp4 is MUCH better!

Here is another thought...

You can pull them into Video Copy and Convert and output them at a lower Bit Rate.

post-39730-0-17316200-1375184108_thumb.jpg

You can see them compared to the originals (inset) I made:

post-39730-0-39317000-1375184112_thumb.jpg

Dabble with the Quality setting till you hit the balance you want between Quality and Output Size.

Be sure that you test the downloads on More than One PC - Tablet - Phone... ;)

Oh my goodness! There's more? I'm such a bad 'dabbler', and the testing on another PC is no problem (husband's computer), but neither of us has a tablet or phone. Not too hard to find somebody who has both, though. We're so 'out-of-touch', so to speak. Thanks again - and I WILL check that out. :unsure:

Well a lot of us have them here!

If you do not want to Open Post a link, send me an private message and I will be happy to take a look ;)

Just Hover on my name and the option will pop up:

post-39730-0-51293700-1375209549_thumb.jpg

:D Thanks!