File Edit Is Extremely Slow

noneedtoknow

Question

This started happening the other day: when I click on "edit" on a video, the beach ball comes up, and I have to wait about 10 seconds, this is very time consuming, as I have to "edit" many videos daily on Toast. I have a brand new Mac Pro, about a month old, the highest quality one that is available, I even bought new RAM yesterday, bringing my RAM up to 28gb (used to have 12.) My start up hard drive has over 100gb free, about 23gb free system memory according to Activity Monitor. I cleared out all my cache, temporary files etc etc with Onyx, restarted several times, no items on my desktop, don't keep programs running when I'm not using them, verified my drive, everything was fine, verified disk permissions and repaired the problems. I don't know what else to do, any ideas? This is the only program running slow, everything else is fine.

6 answers to this question

Well I had to redo these .toast files, I did them about a week ago, only to find out they were all messed up, and at the time I originally created them, this delay wasn't happening, it's only been happening for a few days. I tested them in MPEG-2 after I converted them, had this delay problem, then I tested them in their original file types, which were MKV and AVI, the delay was present as well, I know it doesn't have to do with the file type because like I said, this wasn't the case last week with the same exact files. It's now doing it with all file types, no matter how small, big, long, or short the videos are. I'm just trying to create .toast files to create DVDs.

I'm going to buy a new hard drive and try reinstalling my mac from scratch, hopefully that will work. I wish I didn't have to, but none of what's going on makes sense, since I have so much memory, free space and am taking all the correct precautions to keep a full speed comp.

Just to let you know I've run into problems with Toast's editor, but I'm pretty sure that is just with HD MPEG-2 files. One problem is the spinning ball would never stop so I couldn't start editing. The other problem is that Toast would arbitrarily cut off the rest of the video when making the DVD following some edit in the middle. I could only check if it did that by viewing the completed .toast disc image.

I think you should be fine with other video formats and with standard-def MPEG 2 video. It's something to watch for, however.

There is a h.264-encoding application from ElGato that has a very good editor similar to Toast's. I don't know if it works with MPEG 2 however. The freeware app MPEG Streamclip can edit MPEG 2 videos but it is slower to use because you need to trim after marking each in and out point rather than after marking all the edit points. They may be options to consider if you can't get Toast back in shape.

Something else to look at is whether a version of Toast 11 earlier than 11.1 may have a editor that works better for you. They rewrote Toast for 11.1 so 11.0.6 is different. You may have that from your original purchase or on a backup. You can have multiple versions of Toast 11 available (and open) at the same time.

Just to let you know I've run into problems with Toast's editor, but I'm pretty sure that is just with HD MPEG-2 files. One problem is the spinning ball would never stop so I couldn't start editing. The other problem is that Toast would arbitrarily cut off the rest of the video when making the DVD following some edit in the middle. I could only check if it did that by viewing the completed .toast disc image.

I think you should be fine with other video formats and with standard-def MPEG 2 video. It's something to watch for, however.

There is a h.264-encoding application from ElGato that has a very good editor similar to Toast's. I don't know if it works with MPEG 2 however. The freeware app MPEG Streamclip can edit MPEG 2 videos but it is slower to use because you need to trim after marking each in and out point rather than after marking all the edit points. They may be options to consider if you can't get Toast back in shape.

Something else to look at is whether a version of Toast 11 earlier than 11.1 may have a editor that works better for you. They rewrote Toast for 11.1 so 11.0.6 is different. You may have that from your original purchase or on a backup. You can have multiple versions of Toast 11 available (and open) at the same time.

They're standard MPEG-2 clips. I'm going to buy a new HD this week and post an update to let folks know if reinstalling Mac is helpful for this situation, I'd prefer to just keep using Toast, cause like you said, you can have multiple versions of Toast open at once, which I utilize, but no matter which ones I use, I get the same problem, 11.1, 11.0.4, 11.0.2, 11.0.