ThechemistNL

1080P Footage Via Hdmi (X360) Gives Problems In Every Editing Software I Have Used

Question

I have a problem with editing my captured footage from the game Halo 4 on my Xbox 360 (no other game attempted yet).

the footage is recorded properly, but when I export in videowave, I have de-synced A/V. I have already attempted several different export output profiles and matched framerate as well as kbps, but still it's out of sync.

My capture settings:

resolution - 1080P

quality - 10000 kbps

System specs:

MB: Asus P6T

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 (LGA 1366) (overclocked from 2.67 to 3.7GHz)

RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 (underclocked to 1485MHz to match CPU OC)

GFX: Asus nVidia GeForce GTX 660 OC 2GB GDDR5

Cooling - more than sufficient. CPU is watercooled with Corsair Hydro H100i and doesn't go higher than 58°C under 100% load on all cores (prime95 tested)

apart from unsynced A/V in videowave, other video editing software I have tried for this all had their own share of problems with the raw footage recorded through hdmi.

Cyberlink PowerDirector 11: Imports the files and automatically splits it into scene segments, which seems nice, until you put the segment on the timeline and half of the scene is missing, or audio or video goes missing. (I had no problems with component input from PS3 using this editor!)

Corel Videostudio Pro X6 + SP1: very unstable with files passing 4GB ( I had a 1 hour 48 minute video file at 6.8GB). Export stalled at 18% (which took it 2 hours to get there with a 5:40 video...)

Sony Vegas Pro 12: Imports the files, but only shows a part of the file on the timeline.

I am at a loss and very disappointed with this. I have about 5 hours of footage and I can't do anything with it.

Did anyone have a similar problem, and if you did and managed to fix it, please share your solution with me.

Turns out a piece of freeware called Any Video Converter was the solution to my problem. It's a simple piece of software but it got the job done where paid applications failed -_-

Edited by ThechemistNL

6 answers to this question

apart from unsynced A/V in videowave, other video editing software I have tried for this all had their own share of problems with the raw footage recorded through hdmi.

Cyberlink PowerDirector 11: Imports the files and automatically splits it into scene segments, which seems nice, until you put the segment on the timeline and half of the scene is missing, or audio or video goes missing. (I had no problems with component input from PS3 using this editor!)

Corel Videostudio Pro X6 + SP1: very unstable with files passing 4GB ( I had a 1 hour 48 minute video file at 6.8GB). Export stalled at 18% (which took it 2 hours to get there with a 5:40 video...)

Sony Vegas Pro 12: Imports the files, but only shows a part of the file on the timeline.

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 (LGA 1366) (overclocked from 2.67 to 3.7GHz)

Ya think??? :huh:

Set it back to STOCK as well your RAM and GPU and your issues should go away ;)

Ya think??? :huh:

Set it back to STOCK as well your RAM and GPU and your issues should go away ;)

I'll give it a try, even though my overclock is stable. I don't have RAM issues and I'm not bothered by the slight loss in ram speed since my cpu gained over 1GHz performance boost.

I doubt my OC settings have anything to do with the stability of the programs I've used. resetting my gpu settings (only changed the display setting for the capture software) would mean my video would once again glitch when capturing gameplay and cutscenes, so I'm not even going to try that.

will update to let you know if it solved anything.

EDIT

Set my hardware back to stock, but no changes. software still behaves in the same way as described in my original post. Any other ideas?

Edited by ThechemistNL

Seems nobody really knows how to fix this.

Well, I hate to be the one to say this... But I would be really happy if Roxio would offer more support for their crash-prone bundled video editing software. I, as well as other people paid good money to get the Gamecap Pro. When I pay €139.99 for a device (which excludes the needed cables), I expect something awesome. something that gets support when needed.

Don't get me wrong. My captured videos of PS3 games has given me no problems at all. But since xbox 360 doesn't have HDCP and allows 1080p capture over HDMI, that is what I want.

I've done almost anything on my side to fix the problem. My last option would be to purchase a component cable for my xbox, but I think it's preposterous that when a device offers HDMI support, the video output file makes it impossible to edit when there are cutscenes in the video. At the very least, Videowave should be able to handle a 6 minute video and offer correct A/V sync.

I really would like a patch that allows me to choose whether or not a cutscene is also registered as a chapter marker in the output file.

If need be I will upload the source and VideoWave exported video to YT so you can see what I mean.

What frame rate do you have your XBox set to? I only ask because you say you're capturing 1080p, but the GameCap Pro only supports 1080p at 30 fps. It supports 1080i at 60fps. Not sure if that's an issue or not, but thought I'd mention it.

What frame rate do you have your XBox set to? I only ask because you say you're capturing 1080p, but the GameCap Pro only supports 1080p at 30 fps. It supports 1080i at 60fps. Not sure if that's an issue or not, but thought I'd mention it.

The framerate of the halo videos are at 29.97fps. The raw video capture files play perfectly with any media player but editing gives problems somehow. I have 1 program yet to try, magix movie edit pro. I'll give it a shot and let you all know how that plays out...

I decided to look up some freeware video converters and came across the Any Video Converter. Gave it a try and I must say, for a bit of freeware it did what several top of the line programs didn't. It's a work-around but it beats having to settle for a lower resolution :) I'll set topic as solved now :)