• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Roxio Easy Vhs To Dvd 3

Butchfromjax

Question

I purchased the Roxio Easy VHS to DVD 3 two weeks ago as I have had good experience with other Roxio products. When I use this program to transfer a single VHS tape to a DVD, it works fine and plays fine on my TV in all of my DVD players. However, when I do a multiple video clip to one DVD, once the DVD is burned, it does not play correctly. The audio plays fine, but the video "rolls"rapidly. I can make out the video, but cannot watch it. I contacted customer service (now at Corel) on numerous occasions and their last comment was as follows: "

Easy VHS to DVD 3 will only accept .MPG or .MPEG video files; the .VHS file type is not supported. If possible, you can simply re-capture from the original video source to be saved to your hard drive as MPG/MPEG files."

I simply don't understand and have not been able to get customer service to communicate with me again. How can it be that this program will not accept the VHS file type when that is the purpose of the program?

I am using a Staples DVD+R, which I use for all other applications and have had no problems. I have burned video's and slide show programs, music programs etc and all have worked fine on both my PC and my set top DVD players. This is the first time I have had an issue with a burned DVD.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

10 answers to this question

I purchased the Roxio Easy VHS to DVD 3 two weeks ago as I have had good experience with other Roxio products. When I use this program to transfer a single VHS tape to a DVD, it works fine and plays fine on my TV in all of my DVD players. However, when I do a multiple video clip to one DVD, once the DVD is burned, it does not play correctly. The audio plays fine, but the video "rolls"rapidly. I can make out the video, but cannot watch it. I contacted customer service (now at Corel) on numerous occasions and their last comment was as follows: "

Easy VHS to DVD 3 will only accept .MPG or .MPEG video files; the .VHS file type is not supported. If possible, you can simply re-capture from the original video source to be saved to your hard drive as MPG/MPEG files."

I simply don't understand and have not been able to get customer service to communicate with me again. How can it be that this program will not accept the VHS file type when that is the purpose of the program?

I am using a Staples DVD+R, which I use for all other applications and have had no problems. I have burned video's and slide show programs, music programs etc and all have worked fine on both my PC and my set top DVD players. This is the first time I have had an issue with a burned DVD.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

The response from Roxio customer support does not make any sense and seems to indicate that the person has no knowledge of the program. I have no idea what he/she means by "VHS file type".

First of all, you should always capture to to hard drive and then burn to DVD. This will separate the capture and burn process and often results in fewer coaster.

What do you mean by multiple clips? How long in total time is the video you are trying to put on the DVD? A standard 4.7GB DVD can only hold 60 minutes of best (HQ) qaulity video, any longer and the video has to be compressed. What burn setting are you using?

I should first mention that Roxio support is being handled by a company called Corel- I have always been pleased with Roxio, but Corel Customer Service/Support really is the pits!

With this program, there are only two ways to transfer the VHS tape to a DVD. The first option is to play the tape and record onto a DVD in a single step. That process works fine. The second option is to play multiple clips, save to hard drive and then burn a DVD once you have edited out what you want. By multiple clips, I am referring to taking segments off of several VHS tapes and saving and editing them. I should note that there is no "SAVE AS" option to select a file time- all files are saved via using the VHS to DVD program and all programs save as .VHS. I think this may be the problem, but customer service at Corel did not have a clue. This second progam option does not work. Once done, I go to the burn process and the DVD is burned, but will not play properly on any DVD player.

I have tried to move the saved progarm to my Videos and then change the file type from .VHS to another file type to see if that works, but I have not been successful. I am an old feller and definitely not computer literate- I have no idea what I am doing wrong or how to correct.

Thanks for your assistance!

I should first mention that Roxio support is being handled by a company called Corel- I have always been pleased with Roxio, but Corel Customer Service/Support really is the pits!

With this program, there are only two ways to transfer the VHS tape to a DVD. The first option is to play the tape and record onto a DVD in a single step. That process works fine. The second option is to play multiple clips, save to hard drive and then burn a DVD once you have edited out what you want. By multiple clips, I am referring to taking segments off of several VHS tapes and saving and editing them. I should note that there is no "SAVE AS" option to select a file time- all files are saved via using the VHS to DVD program and all programs save as .VHS. I think this may be the problem, but customer service at Corel did not have a clue. This second progam option does not work. Once done, I go to the burn process and the DVD is burned, but will not play properly on any DVD player.

I have tried to move the saved progarm to my Videos and then change the file type from .VHS to another file type to see if that works, but I have not been successful. I am an old feller and definitely not computer literate- I have no idea what I am doing wrong or how to correct.

Thanks for your assistance!

I don't know where you get this .VHS file type. Whenever I capture using the VHS2DVD3, the captured files have the extension mpg.

I never use the "direct to DVD" method since I always prefer to edit out segments, etc and not make a simple copy of the VHS video. Also quite often the program will stop if it tries to capture a blank section on the VHS tape and you wind up with a coaster.

An EVD 3 "Project File" has an 'VHS' extension!

No, Save or Save As is needed as Project Files are automatically created as soon as you click one of the project type Tabs at the beginning.

There IS an option to change the Project Name anytime you clich the Home Tab or start to exit the Program...

If you don't change it, it will automatically save a Project file using its' default name.

However, a *.VHS Project File IS NOT a video file in any way shape or form!!!

A DVD Movie Must Be Authored to a disc!

It is not merely files slapped onto a disc!

To do that you have to chose "Export", pick DVD and burn the disc.

I suggest you get a disc or 2 of DVD RW to practice with. It is erasable so you can try things and erase it.

Just don't use RW for anything you intend to keep! It is not reliable for storage.

• Like 1

An EVD 3 "Project File" has an 'VHS' extension!

No, Save or Save As is needed as Project Files are automatically created as soon as you click one of the project type Tabs at the beginning.

There IS an option to change the Project Name anytime you clich the Home Tab or start to exit the Program...

If you don't change it, it will automatically save a Project file using its' default name.

However, a *.VHS Project File IS NOT a video file in any way shape or form!!!

A DVD Movie Must Be Authored to a disc!

It is not merely files slapped onto a disc!

To do that you have to chose "Export", pick DVD and burn the disc.

I suggest you get a disc or 2 of DVD RW to practice with. It is erasable so you can try things and erase it.

Just don't use RW for anything you intend to keep! It is not reliable for storage.

Thanks Jim. I had no idea that VHS2DVD3 creates project files with the VHS extensions :wacko:

Thank you to both of you for looking in to this issue. Jim- the Save or Save As options did not come up on my program when I hit the home button or when I went to exit. Because this .VHS thing did seem to be an issue, I tried every option I could think of and looked at all drop down menu's, sub-menus, etc. to see if I could locate as "Save As" option, but could not. I did make several attempts and I did use a couple of rewriteable disc's to practice with, but with no success. I followed the user guide step by step multiple times and still could not burn a disk that would work on any set top DVD player. Considering what the Corel Customer Service person told me (see previous post)- (the .VHS file type is not supported. If possible, you can simply re-capture from the original video source to be saved to your hard drive as MPG/MPEG files.)- I have decided that either Corel Customer Support has not been properly trained OR that Roxio has mis-represented the product. I tend to go with the first one! In any event, I have sent the product back and requested a refund while I still have a chance. No doubt there are other companies out there who have a more user friendly version to accomplish the task of transferring VHS to DVD's. Thanks again for your help and input!

Thank you to both of you for looking in to this issue. Jim- the Save or Save As options did not come up on my program when I hit the home button or when I went to exit. Because this .VHS thing did seem to be an issue, I tried every option I could think of and looked at all drop down menu's, sub-menus, etc. to see if I could locate as "Save As" option, but could not. I did make several attempts and I did use a couple of rewriteable disc's to practice with, but with no success. I followed the user guide step by step multiple times and still could not burn a disk that would work on any set top DVD player. Considering what the Corel Customer Service person told me (see previous post)- (the .VHS file type is not supported. If possible, you can simply re-capture from the original video source to be saved to your hard drive as MPG/MPEG files.)- I have decided that either Corel Customer Support has not been properly trained OR that Roxio has mis-represented the product. I tend to go with the first one! In any event, I have sent the product back and requested a refund while I still have a chance. No doubt there are other companies out there who have a more user friendly version to accomplish the task of transferring VHS to DVD's. Thanks again for your help and input!

It is too bad that you gave up so quickly.

I use VHS2DVD3 to transfer all of my VHS tapes to my hard drive, edit and then burn to DVD. They all play fine on several DVD players that I have. If you had problems with this process then either you were not following the steps correctly or there is a problem with your system.

On thing I learned is that VHS2DVD3 does create project files that have the extension VHS. Those files of course are not video files and Corel/Roxio support is correct when they state that .VHS files are not "supported" as video files. Only mpg files are supported and they are the only video type that VHS2DVD3 creates.

The programs does not have a Save or Save As function. Even if it did it would not create any video file that could be added as a video file.

BTW, Roxio was bought by Corel quite a while ago so of course all support is through Corel. Also I would consider Staples DVDs near the bottom of the barrel in quality. along side any store brands, Memorex, Maxell and a few others.