• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Question

I just bought and installed NXT. when I try to burn a production to dvd it wont recognize the blank and says the drive is empty. I have tried dvd-r, dvd+r, and even bought a new pack of dvd-r's. I'm sure I'm missing a button somewhere. I'm using a bran new Toshiba S55 I-7 from staples.

For more info, I took clips from my gopro, converted to some avi format so NXT would read it (gopro's protune setting causes nxt to lock up and shot down), I put the clips into the timeline editor to cut out the stuf I don't whant, click on burn, Burn Project window pops up, and it says "dirive empty". the name of my drive is TSSTcorp CDDVDW SU-208BB. Am using win8.

I believe the drive to be working because it installed the software and also the WinDVD that came with NXT says the vertion I have won't play a copy righted movie when I put in Ace ventura. Lame, my old windvd played movies all the time. Formating the disk will at least tell me what speed it will be buring but still will not highlight the burn button

Edited by tripplec

Actually this has been pretty infrequent in reacent years...

Do 2 things, in this order:

Device Manager (Win-Pause, upper left corner) Delete (uninstall) your Optical Drives!

Reboot

IF that does not help, follow the instructions in cdanteek's Post 6 about the PxEngine, HERE

Let us know how that works out ;)

I'm new to win8 from xp and can't find anything so bear with me. computers no longer seem to come with the operating system disk so I want to make sure deleting optical drives is not going to end up making me go to a repair shop for a reinstall.

I'm new to win8 from xp and can't find anything so bear with me. computers no longer seem to come with the operating system disk so I want to make sure deleting optical drives is not going to end up making me go to a repair shop for a reinstall.

I tried to uninstall drivers for dvd drive but when the computer reboots it still shows I'm running the most current driver so I'm not sure I'm doing it right

Ok I succeded in installing PXengine and it said it was successful and I restarted but am still having the same problem. any other ideas would be greatly apretiated as I'm out a bit of money if I can't figure this out. on a side note am I going to need to uninstall pxengine since it didn't work.

I tried to uninstall drivers for dvd drive but when the computer reboots it still shows I'm running the most current driver so I'm not sure I'm doing it right

I did also try deactivating the dvd driver just out of curiosity and it did shut down the drive till I reactivated it but it made no difference on nxt.

i see that there are a lot of complaints on the drive when I googled for it. Have you tried to get it replaced with something "better" with Toshiba Tech support? Have you gone to their support site/ Users group (if here is one) to see if they have any complaints about that drive?

Link to Toshiba forums.

Edited by sknis

I'll look into that. the computer does burn to the disk I tried that out of curiosity to see if it was the drive itself and it seems to work. But I'll check their web site too.

well thank you for your help but it appears it's my computer. I installed nxt on my old laptop and it burned fine. back to staples I go.

• Like 1

@Tripplec , Its not the computer, trust me on this one, I bought a brand new Dell, had the same problem, returned it and bought an Asus, even better computer, both with Windows 8 64 bit, both did the same thing. The problem isn't fixed yet. I tried all the tricks the Gurus have posted and one got a little irritated with me, but having said that, it's still not working.

I can burn a Data disk in Roxio NXT but nothing in MyDVD..

I contacted Roxio and this is what they said!!

Thank you for contacting Corel Customer Support.

To be honest with you, we haven't figure out any exact solution for this one so we are suggesting any alternative workaround that might work. Since ISO is working, you can work with it until we figure out this issue.

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any further questions.

I'm hoping enough people complain so that they find a solution, it has something to do with Windows 8 -64 and Roxio NXT, NOT the computer.

Roxio 11 worked ok before the upgrade, so I may go back to that, the only problem is that when I went back to Roxio 11 on the Dell, it did something and I wasn't able burn there either.

Also be aware that NXT has a count..you can only install it 10 times, After that you have to get Roxio to reset the count... All my other programs see both of my drives, so its a problem with Roxio NXT... sorry for the bad news... I got a nice guy from Roxio to help me, so maybe when he comes up with the answer, I'll post it. It is frustrating.

Here is what you can do while we wait... burn an Image file in MyDVD istead of burning to disk, and download Active ISO Burn -its free and works good. It will produce the same effect as if you were burning to disk.

Hope this information helps. Jack

MoreOfMe,

Thanks very much for that information narrowing the problem down, and the comments and workaround from Customer Support.

I'd be very grateful if you would post any answer they come up with.

Regards,

Brendon

I'll post once I hear back from Roxio with a solution that actually works. I just uninstalled Roxio NXT and reinstalled Roxio 2011 and everything works as it should... so it's definitely a bug in the NXT version. I wish they would test their software with different configurations and different computers and all OS, 32 and 64 bit versions before selling it to the public and create all these headaches. The average person cannot do many of the changes that are suggested, it should work right out of the box..with no issues. I also use Cyberlink Power Director with no issues whatsoever. Anyway, hope we get answer soon. If I could ask for my money back I would, but it's been six months since my upgrade purchase.

A few owners ago we used to have beta testing, and that was very useful as well as quite fun. Often the enthusiasts would find bugs the company people would miss. [sigh. . . ]

Most software you purchase now has a patch or upgrade the minute you install it... I would test beta software if they offered it to me! There are so many different configurations out there, I'm sure that is why it's impossible to find all the bugs... A friend of mine has the same OS and NXT and has a different problem with NXT, it reboots when he puts a blank disk in his drive...again, some type of conflict between NXT and another program. He also uninstalled it and hasn't had that problem since. It is what it is, but kills me to think I gave Roxio $99 for the upgrade and can't use it the way it should be used.

I have a new HP ENVY laptop and I get the same error. Drive is empty, capacity of current disc: 0

Windows 8 Pro. The drive reads fine, and I can write to it from Windows Explorer.

I thought I’d throw in my two cents worth on this subject.

After I installed NXT on my new HP Pavilion h8-1360t computer, one of the first problems I encountered was the ‘Drive is empty’ issue in MyDVD. That was just the tip of the iceberg. After doing extensive testing of the NXT applications, I have found several problems. This is a summary of the problems I have found:

Roxio Desktop Burner does not start when a disc is inserted in the drive. If it is started manually from the Windows Start Menu, it displays a message to insert a disc even though a disc is in the drive. Complete failure of function.

• The Burn Data Disc function does recognize a blank, unformatted disc in the drive for an initial burn. However, if the disc is left Open for an Append, when the disc is inserted to Append, NXT hangs with the message ‘Reading disc, please wait…’ The only thing you can do is Close NXT, but when you do that, you cannot restart NXT until you use Task Manager to kill the process, RoxioCentralFx.exe *32. This is an inexcusable error!

Copy Disc does not work. NXT hangs with the message ‘Reading disc, please wait…’ This is the same as documented above - you can close NXT, but when you do that, you cannot restart NXT until you use Task Manager to kill the process, RoxioCentralFx.exe *32.

• Copy Disc to Image does not work. With any type of DVD disc, it hangs as described above and the Task Manager has to be used to kill the process, RoxioCentralFx.exe *32.

MyDVD shows ‘Drive is empty’ when Burn to Disc is selected.

MyDVD will create an image file if ‘Save disc image file’ is selected.

Burn Disc Image does not work. It throws an error message that there was an error writing to the target disc and no data is written.

• Rip Audio CD, Burn Audio CD and Burn MP3 CD work normally. (Hooray!)

Discs not recognizable by NXT worked fine in other programs such as Power2Go, ImgBurn, and Windows Explorer.

I have worked with HP Support and we have ruled out the drive as the source of the problems. If you are interested in all the details, they can be found in the topic:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/89663-nxt-pro-not-recognizing-disc-in-drive/

Regards,

Jerry

I thought I’d throw in my two cents worth on this subject.

After I installed NXT on my new HP Pavilion h8-1360t computer, one of the first problems I encountered was the ‘Drive is empty’ issue in MyDVD. That was just the tip of the iceberg. After doing extensive testing of the NXT applications, I have found several problems. This is a summary of the problems I have found:

Roxio Desktop Burner does not start when a disc is inserted in the drive. If it is started manually from the Windows Start Menu, it displays a message to insert a disc even though a disc is in the drive. Complete failure of function.

• The Burn Data Disc function does recognize a blank, unformatted disc in the drive for an initial burn. However, if the disc is left Open for an Append, when the disc is inserted to Append, NXT hangs with the message ‘Reading disc, please wait…’ The only thing you can do is Close NXT, but when you do that, you cannot restart NXT until you use Task Manager to kill the process, RoxioCentralFx.exe *32. This is an inexcusable error!

Copy Disc does not work. NXT hangs with the message ‘Reading disc, please wait…’ This is the same as documented above - you can close NXT, but when you do that, you cannot restart NXT until you use Task Manager to kill the process, RoxioCentralFx.exe *32.

• Copy Disc to Image does not work. With any type of DVD disc, it hangs as described above and the Task Manager has to be used to kill the process, RoxioCentralFx.exe *32.

MyDVD shows ‘Drive is empty’ when Burn to Disc is selected.

MyDVD will create an image file if ‘Save disc image file’ is selected.

Burn Disc Image does not work. It throws an error message that there was an error writing to the target disc and no data is written.

• Rip Audio CD, Burn Audio CD and Burn MP3 CD work normally. (Hooray!)

Discs not recognizable by NXT worked fine in other programs such as Power2Go, ImgBurn, and Windows Explorer.

I have worked with HP Support and we have ruled out the drive as the source of the problems. If you are interested in all the details, they can be found in the topic:

http://forums.suppor...-disc-in-drive/

Regards,

Jerry

You did not specify what OS you are using. I don't have the time to search through your long posts to look for that info.

I am running NXT on a VIsta system and have not encountered any of the problems you listed

You did not specify what OS you are using. I don't have the time to search through your long posts to look for that info.

I am running NXT on a VIsta system and have not encountered any of the problems you listed

All that information is in my signature at the bottom of my post, but for the record, the PC with all the NXT problems is an HP Pavilion h8-1360t running Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit.

Jerry

All that information is in my signature at the bottom of my post, but for the record, the PC with all the NXT problems is an HP Pavilion h8-1360t running Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit.

Jerry

Jerry ~ I have been following your other Topic...

It seems most likely that your Drive is the issue...

The ONLY way to 'rule out' a drive is to REPLACE it :huh:

Or substitute an external, like a USB drive.

It it had been a software issue, a lot more than a few folks would have had it -_-

Jim,

Thanks for the advice, but like I told Brendon, I don't feel like spending the money to absolutely rule out the drive. Also, remember ALL other programs that read/write to the drive work without a problem.

I'm content to use NXT the way it is and use other programs to perform those functions that do not work with NXT.

Regards,

Jerry

Actually this has been pretty infrequent in reacent years...

Do 2 things, in this order:

Device Manager (Win-Pause, upper left corner) Delete (uninstall) your Optical Drives!

Reboot

IF that does not help, follow the instructions in cdanteek's Post 6 about the PxEngine, HERE

Let us know how that works out ;)

Well, well, well.... I just had an idea this morning to try another drive and low and behold it WORKED! I had 2 Blue Ray drives in my system and I'm guessing that MyDVD didn't recognize either drives, so I installed a regular DVD drive and it sees that one. And I can officially say that it works. Don't know if it's a problem with Windows 8-64 or a problem with Roxio NXT, all I know is that it works... hope this helps others and I will post this message on the other forum boards with this topic.

A few owners ago we used to have beta testing, and that was very useful as well as quite fun. Often the enthusiasts would find bugs the company people would miss. [sigh. . . ]

Well, well, well.... I just had an idea this morning to try another drive and low and behold it WORKED! I had 2 Blue Ray drives in my system and I'm guessing that MyDVD didn't recognize either drives, so I installed a regular DVD drive and it sees that one. And I can officially say that it works. Don't know if it's a problem with Windows 8-64 or a problem with Roxio NXT, all I know is that it works... hope this helps others and I will post this message on the other forum boards with this topic.

But nothing there lets your origanal drivers off the hook as being the problem :huh:

On the otherhand, do you have the NXT or the NXT Pro?

I think all of the Guru's have the Pro version and there could be some difference between the 2...

But nothing there lets your origanal drivers off the hook as being the problem :huh:

On the otherhand, do you have the NXT or the NXT Pro?

I think all of the Guru's have the Pro version and there could be some difference between the 2...

I have NXT Pro, and your right, it doesn't solve the problem entirely, because it should see my BD drives, but at least it's a step in the right direction. If the problem is in the drivers and NXT not seeing those drivers, then you would think that it would be an easy fix for Roxio, don't you think? This computer is only a few months old and it came with one BD drive, I had another BD drive, so I installed it as well, but that one one was about 3 or 4 years old. Windows 8 had no problem seeing the drives, but NXT couldn't see them at all. The DVD drive I installed came from an older HP computer and it's also about 4 years old, but works as I said.

I inserted a BD blank disk in the BD drive, and MyDVD in NXT still said No Disk in drive. So I can't burn a BD disk. But for now I can burn a regular DVD disk.