• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Help. Blank/black Preview Screen

Eric83

Question

Hello everyone. So I need some help. I find it frustrating that I paid 160 dollars and there isn't a technician to talk to over the phone to resolve my issue. The first issue I encountered was being unable to have in game sound in my recording. I manage to install the device and record a game. Upon reviewing the footage is when I realized it didn't retrieve any sound. First off, I'm recording a PC game on a recently purchased sony vaio SVS1512DCXB laptop ( intel core i7-3632QM Processor/2.20GHz, Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000/NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M LE GPU 2GB, total memory of 12Gb, Windows 8 64 bit). The same laptop that i'm gaming on is connected to the Roxio Game Capture HD Pro. I looked under my sounds mixer and saw the device there which was not muted so I don't understand why its not obtaining sound. I do have a turtle beach headset (Px21) connect via usb to have surround sound and to chat via Skype with friends. I'm sure it won't record in game chat but should at least capture the in game sound. The way I have it connected is HDMI to the Device HDMI input and the usb connected into the pc for power. I'm not using the HDMI out since i'm using the laptops 15.5" screen to play on. The second issue I am experiencing is when I decided not to use the device anymore and unplugged the HDMI cable. When I wanted to play with it again (keeping in mind I just bought it less than 24 hours ago) my preview screen that was working the first time around is now blank and black. It does however still allows me to capture my gameplay, its just not show casing it in the preview screen anymore. Now the unit is lite purple/blue and the HDMI is lite the same color. Within the program that status is green and says ready and lets me capture video, just nothing shows visually in the preview screen. I have tried uninstalling and repairing, yet nothing has fixed it. I looked online and tried a few things and still no results. Has anyone had these issues that could possibly aid me?

9 answers to this question

That link did not help. For one I'm recording from a laptop, in which is the same laptop I'm playing on. I'm not using a play station or Xbox. The recording works and I can review it, however, the preview screen is blank/black. When I first installed it I was able to see the desktop on it. After I unplugged the HDMI cable after use and plugged it back in later is when I noticed the preview screen no longer shows anything, but I am still able to capture gameplay. I want to know how can I view the preview screen again?

The other issue is the recording sound. I removed the head set and it still doesn't record in game sound. I probably sure it won't record voice chat which I'm fine with just curious why in game sound isn't there.

That link did not help. For one I'm recording from a laptop, in which is the same laptop I'm playing on. I'm not using a play station or Xbox. The recording works and I can review it, however, the preview screen is blank/black. When I first installed it I was able to see the desktop on it. After I unplugged the HDMI cable after use and plugged it back in later is when I noticed the preview screen no longer shows anything, but I am still able to capture gameplay. I want to know how can I view the preview screen again?

The other issue is the recording sound. I removed the head set and it still doesn't record in game sound. I probably sure it won't record voice chat which I'm fine with just curious why in game sound isn't there.

What are your Windows Recorder settings?

post-39730-0-33421700-1375013307_thumb.jpg

post-39730-0-23433700-1375013305_thumb.jpg

post-39730-0-74264900-1375013306_thumb.jpg

WHAT are you playing?

HOW?

I am curious as almost no one has been able to record on the same PC they are playing from :huh:

I tried it and it did not work - but I was using a movie and VLC Player output to the RGC and not an actual game...

Digital Guru, you mentioned how I was able to record on the same pc that i'm playing on. It actually wasn't hard to be honest. My laptop is a Sony Vaio SVS1512DCXB which has a NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M LE GPU 2GB graphics card integrated with the mother board im assuming. On the right hand side of my laptop has a HDMI port. All I did was hook the USB of the Game Capture HD Pro to the laptop and then hooked the HDMI from the Laptop to the Video Input side. Then I was able to record and view the preview screen, however, once I removed the HDMI cable from the pc while unit was on I no longer can see the preview screen but I am still able to capture and record my games. The game I've been playing is called "League Of Legends." I'll put a picture of the Roxio capture software screen so you can see what I'm talking about.

Blank Preview.pdf

Posting pictures here is easy after you do it once ;) Info HERE

post-39730-0-38640000-1375097760_thumb.jpg

post-39730-0-76730200-1375097761_thumb.jpg

the One PC Capture, is something I need to revisit!

One thing you said makes No Sense... You said that once you started capture, you removed the HDMI leading to the RGC and could continue capture???

I do not see how this is possible as the software only captures from the RGC Device and without a signal there would be Nothing to capture... It is not capable of capturing from your screen or from the Video Card/Chip ;)

Thanks for the info, I will try it when I can.

Okay, when I first hooked and installed the unit everything worked fine except the sound recording. When I no longer was using the item thats when I unplugged the HDMI cable from the laptop while the unit was powered but not recording. When I plugged HDMI back in later to use that's when I noticed the preview screen was black/blank but I was still able to record my game play the visual just not showing on the preview screen. I returned the unit thinking maybe that will resolve it and nothing. I have uninstalled and reinstalled and nothing. I'm not exactly sure what is happening BUT when I go to devices and screens it shows 1/2 screen being split. When I click screen one it shows my desktop, however when I click screen 2 it shows that same blank screen on the preview screen on my display screen. So I'm assuming something was changed automatically when I removed the HDMI or I dont know. Keep in mind though that i can still record my game play with the blank preview screen it just not showing the image as the picture above if you haven't seen it.

Yes I did misunderstand what you were saying about the HDMI ;)

One thing I am not seeing in your Sound Pictures is Line-In, under Recording...

THAT is normally where we would expect to have set to default.

The Blank Screen is most likely a Video Card/Chip issue. We have had a few users report but no one has ever mentioned if or How they resolved it :huh:

The "split screen" is something I have not encountered... Got a screen cap of that???

So here is the split screen I was talking about. I'm running window 8 so on the right corner with your mouse some setting pop from the side and you click devices. Then from devices it shows you from the pictures I posted. Now keep in mind, even though it says multiple monitors there isn't. It only does that when I hook the RGC to the HDMI and I see it on one screen. when I first used it I could see the preview screen of my desktop prior to recording my game play. When I removed it is and plugged it back in is when the preview screen when blank/black. Remember I am still able to record my gameplay and it lets me capture just nothing is shown in the preview screen anymore.

post-114064-0-53897200-1375136631_thumb.jpg

post-114064-0-87411300-1375136646_thumb.jpg

Edited by Eric83