• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 26 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Steve2006

Video Output Half Blacked Out When Using .wmv Files

Question

I am having the exact same issue as this guy -- http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/89291-burning-progress-screen-is-half-blacked-out/ -- but it is extending further. Even in VideoWave when trying to edit, when I try to export the video it's half-black. It only happens for WMV files -- MP4, AVI, MPG are all fine. It's definitely something to do with the Videoware software -- if I put together a project with all different types of files, when the program hits the WMV file the CPU goes through the roof.

I am running Windows 7, and am fully up-to-date on all video drivers and Windows patches (including MXSML and .NET). I tried using the "Copy and Convert Video" tool to convert the WMV to MPG but this fails with the same half-black screen.

Any ideas?

Perhaps the codecs used are corrupted. Just to make sure, do you have Windows Media Player version 10, 11 or 12 on your computer? Have you tried to reinstall WMP? Does the video play correctly in WMP?

Are the wmv files from a different source than the others? What is that source?

Download the free GSpot Codec information Applicance or the free Super Easy Codec checker and drag one of the wmv videos to the window. It will tell you a lot about the video such as the codec used, if it is on your computer, the bit rate, etc. Do a screen shot of that and use the "More Reply Options" at the lower right to post that jpg screen shot in your replay.

I am having the exact same issue as this guy -- http://forums.suppor...lf-blacked-out/ -- but it is extending further. Even in VideoWave when trying to edit, when I try to export the video it's half-black. It only happens for WMV files -- MP4, AVI, MPG are all fine. It's definitely something to do with the Videoware software -- if I put together a project with all different types of files, when the program hits the WMV file the CPU goes through the roof.

I am running Windows 7, and am fully up-to-date on all video drivers and Windows patches (including MXSML and .NET). I tried using the "Copy and Convert Video" tool to convert the WMV to MPG but this fails with the same half-black screen.

Any ideas?

Are you rendering in Software or Hardware?

Onboard video chip or dedicated video card?

Thanks for the replies!

- It happens to all WMV files regardless of where they came from. In addition, I checked a couple of WMV files that I successfully burned DVDs from in the past (I've used Roxio for a while) and now they fail.

- When I render in hardware, it displays OK but exports wrong. When I render in software, it is wrong on both display and export.

- The videos play perfectly in Windows Media Player. I am running 12.0.7601.17514. I checked for updates, and it says I am running the most up to date components.

- I'm attaching screen shots of both SuperEasy Codec Check and GSpot.

post-15159-0-38575600-1375025804_thumb.jpg

post-15159-0-79782200-1375025810_thumb.jpg

post-15159-0-84753100-1375025821_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

Any possibility of posting a very short (10 second) section of the video before any editing (other than the cut)? Use a file sharing site like UpForDown to post it and then provide a link.

Any possibility of posting a very short (10 second) section of the video before any editing (other than the cut)? Use a file sharing site like UpForDown to post it and then provide a link.

I'm not sure how that would help; as I said, it's not just one video. The issue is occurring on ANY WMV file, including WMV files that previously worked with no issues. So there's really no possibility that it's a problem with the WMV file itself.

I'm not sure how that would help; as I said, it's not just one video. The issue is occurring on ANY WMV file, including WMV files that previously worked with no issues. So there's really no possibility that it's a problem with the WMV file itself.

I would not have asked if I thought that it would not help in diagnosing the issue with the file. If we can't work with it, then there may be an issue with the program; if we can, there may be an issue with your computer hardware -- perhaps your video driver. To provide information on your computer, do this.

Rather than arguing with the request and if you really want help, provide the information. If you need more help with either posting the video or providing the information on your computer, please let us know.l

Here is the link for UpForDown.

Edited by sknis

I will ask again!

Onboard video chip or dedicated video card?

Do you have QuickTime installed?

O-kay, then.

I'm attaching the system info. As I said, it fails with any WMV so I'm attaching the Windows Movie Maker Sample File. http://www.upfordown...load/view/86196 . It's small, and it has the same problem as all the other WMV files.

A little more info -- I need to export the file as a MPEG-2 for DVD. If I try to use the "Smallest File" option, it works (although it produces a file that is not really suitable for DVD burning). If I choose any other option in the MPEG-2 (Normal Quality, Better Quality, Best Quality) it fails.

Since that seemed to point to WMV to MPG conversion, I tried other formats and it looks like I can export to other formats (like MP4) fine. So my workaround for now is to export to HD MP4.

Obviously, I would prefer to be able to use the product as designed, but at least this will allow me to keep going while we try to resolve this.

Tx

DxDiag.txt

I'm attaching the system info. As I said, it fails with any WMV so I'm attaching the Windows Movie Maker Sample File. http://www.upfordown...load/view/86196 . It's small, and it has the same problem as all the other WMV files.

The video I downloaded is horrible quality, but I see the whole frame video, no half black like you explained?

Yes, as I had said, this happens with all WMVs so since you wanted to see one I just sent you a file. Here's what it looks like on my machine:

post-15159-0-57704400-1375045439_thumb.jpg

PS -- I do have Quicktime installed, to answer a previous question.

Yes, as I had said, this happens with all WMVs so since you wanted to see one I just sent you a file. Here's what it looks like on my machine:

PS -- I do have Quicktime installed, to answer a previous question.

Does the out put file like I viewed show half black or do you just see half black in videowave render window like you show in post #11?

Is QuickTime something you use or need?

Yeah, the generated file is half black, it looks exactly like the render window. I definitely use Quicktime, only mentioned it because someone on this thread asked.

Yeah, the generated file is half black, it looks exactly like the render window. I definitely use Quicktime, only mentioned it because someone on this thread asked.

I asked, have you did any updates to QuickTime lately?

Video card updates?

Windows updates?

Edited by cdanteek

I played with this in Creator 2012 Video Wave. If I selected a high definition mpg2 output, I got the same half display you did. If I selected other mpg2, I got everything from letterbox to about 25% of the screen with the image at the bottom.

That wmv file is standard definition and a small frame size. I guess that we see what happens if you try to convert it to high definition and a DVD size frame size.

Silk purse and sow's ear comes to mind. You can't make a video any better than what you start with.

post-58-0-06768200-1375052557_thumb.jpg

Edited by sknis

The file I sent you is not the one I want to use. This issue happens with EVERY WMV file on my computer. Here's the info on one of the files I was working with:

post-15159-0-69683700-1375053707_thumb.jpg

It happens if I try to edit the file in Videowave. If I bypass and go right to MyDVD and try to add a WMV file to a DVD I get the same half screen. It doesn't matter what WMV file it is, doesn't matter how large or how small. Same things happens to all of them. I've tried files that I have already edited successfully and it happens to them. I've tried it on files that I have already successfully burned to a DVD and it happens to them.

I'm not sure your "silk purse and sow's ear" analogy works here, at least with regards to the video file. I'm wondering if I should just try uninstalling and re-installing. Maybe there's something "stuck" in a cache or something. Are there any "tricks" to uninstalling?

I hope he does better than me. I still get half screen or letterbox depending on what mpg2 choice I make. It plays the same as the render preview.

Normal rather than wide screen and output to mpg2 smallest file size and it rendered and played properly. Either of the generic mpg2 worked properly.

Edited by sknis

You two have to explain exactly what your doing in what application?

Because when I render it, export as, DVD best quality, I don't get a half black preview.

W-7 x64 Ultimate with C2011 Pro.

Interestingly, on my Creator 2012, if I change Render from Hardware to Software, my WMV files go Black!

Likewise the Rendered file as well...

I'll do you one better! This is Creator 2012 Pro Video Wave storyline. I turned off hardware rendering and turned on software. This is what I see in the preview window - not even going to rendering! It looks like this in both normal and wide screen. When I go back to using hardware, I see the entire video with black or gray bars.

Steve2006 - are you using hardware or software encoding?

Sinc ethis is the first time anyone noticed it, is it possible that a Windows update triggered it. Windows Media Player v12.0.7601.17514 (probably not important.)

It may be possible that Creator 2011 worked OK but 2012 and NXT doesn't?

post-58-0-25607500-1375189929_thumb.jpg

Edited by sknis

I just reset videowave and closed and rebooted.

Now I get this, Timeline or Storyline.

post-97-0-45101400-1375190431_thumb.jpg

post-97-0-67312100-1375190432_thumb.jpg

post-97-0-17381500-1375190434_thumb.jpg

post-97-0-90564900-1375190585_thumb.jpg

Work around for the original poster. Use a third party converter to convert the wmv files to mpg2 and use those files. There are several free video converters and some will batch convert. I just tried doing that and it worked. as expected.

CD, what are you doing differently from the original poster, from Jim and from me that you are not having any issues with the files (other than using a different version). Steps please.

CD, what are you doing differently from the original poster, from Jim and from me that you are not having any issues with the files (other than using a different version). Steps please.

Post # 24 explains what I'm doing with pics.

What part don't you understand?