Question

I am currently using EMC 10 on a Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit PC. I noticed that Roxio has an update available for the PX Engine Version 4.18.16a. My question is how can I find out what version of the PX engine I currently have and do I need to install this update? Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Jerry

9 answers to this question

I am currently using EMC 10 on a Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit PC. I noticed that Roxio has an update available for the PX Engine Version 4.18.16a. My question is how can I find out what version of the PX engine I currently have and do I need to install this update? Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Jerry

Why do you want to update? Are you having problems?

If everything is working, I would not "update".

As a matter of fact I am having some problems burning a MyDVD project. If I use hardware rendering for the final burn, the Menu screen does not render properly, the resulting DVD menu has a black background. Software rendering creates a proper menu. However, (and this is really strange) when I am in the MyDVD application building the menus, I must have Hardware rendering turned on or the selected Menu Theme shows a black background in the Preview window. This strange behavior was not evident until recently...perhaps the result of updating the display driver or interference from another application...I really have no idea why the problem has appeared. But when I saw there was an update to the PX engine, I thought it might be prudent to update, but I would like to be able to identify the current version of the PX engine that is installed...maybe I have the most recent. That's my story...pretty boring, huh?

Jerry

As a matter of fact I am having some problems burning a MyDVD project. If I use hardware rendering for the final burn, the Menu screen does not render properly, the resulting DVD menu has a black background. Software rendering creates a proper menu. However, (and this is really strange) when I am in the MyDVD application building the menus, I must have Hardware rendering turned on or the selected Menu Theme shows a black background in the Preview window. This strange behavior was not evident until recently...perhaps the result of updating the display driver or interference from another application...I really have no idea why the problem has appeared. But when I saw there was an update to the PX engine, I thought it might be prudent to update, but I would like to be able to identify the current version of the PX engine that is installed...maybe I have the most recent. That's my story...pretty boring, huh?

Jerry

I Since the PXengine is only needed for burning the DVD and has nothing to do with rendering.

How long in time is your project? If over 60 minutes and you are using a quality setting other then HQ the the video has to be compressed to fit on the DVD. Any time you compress video you lose quality and this may even affect the menus. Fit-to-disc is the worst quality to use. A standard DVD can only hold 60 minutes of HQ quality video.

What menu theme are you using? What are your system specs, especially video card?

My question is how can I find out what version of the PX engine I currently have and do I need to install this update?

Hi Jerry,

[1] Go to the Roxio toolbar Help > About this software, and you'll see the PX version just under the version, build, and CD key entries.

post-208-0-49807900-1375072858_thumb.jpg

[2] No, you don't need to update. It's more likely that your current version is newer than that "update". It is 4.18, and my EMC 10 has 4.2.

Regards,

Brendon

Well first of all I checked my current version of the PX engine and it is 4.10.22a which appears to be older than the mone thay are offering for download which is 4.18.16a. So, maybe I should update? Also, I am not burning long projects...probably a max of 30 min. When I am in My DVD program and select Software rendering from the Tools/Options menu and then select Change Menu Style, several of the menus display with a black background. Some of the trouble ones are Beach, Around the World, and Projector to name a few. However, if I select Tools/Options/Hardware rendering, all menu styles display normally. When I go to Burn the project, it is a different story...then I have to change to Software rendering to burn the video and menus properly. Needless to say I am baffled. FYI - I have attached a txt file with a summary of my system configuration including the Display adapter. I may go ahead with PX engine update, but I am going to create a backup image of my system before I do. Thanks for any insight you may have.

Jerry

HP8330_Basic System Configuration.txt

It looks like you may need to update your video card driver. They come out frequently and yours is a year old. Many visuals are related to the video card drivers.

Go here, read the instructions and install the driver. I think there is one from July 1, 2013. DO not install beta drivers!

It looks like you may need to update your video card driver. They come out frequently and yours is a year old. Many visuals are related to the video card drivers.

Go here, read the instructions and install the driver. I think there is one from July 1, 2013. DO not install beta drivers!

That's interesting, because just yesterday Windows did an automatic update to my graphics driver but it installed version 296.19 dated 3/7/2012. So today I went out on the NVIDIA website and found the latest driver for my card is 320.49 dated 7/1/2013. I think I'll update both the PX engine and the video driver and see what happens. Wish me luck. Thanks.

Updating video driver and PX Engine had no affect on problem. Finally threw in the towel and upgraded to Creator NXT. NXT is far from perfect, but at least I can create DVD's with menus and burn them to disk and image files.

The PX Engine only affects disc I/O, which you weren't having problems with.