• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Please Help- File Extension Issue?

Ssreenie

Question

Hello: Please help. I'm getting so frustrated.

• When I do a direct "record DVD" the burn process is successful but the DVD doesn't capture all the VHS file.
  • When I do the "record, edit, save" process, then the DVD has a burn successful process but won't play in the same DVD player that the earlier cut-off recorded DVD plays.

I've tried reading some of these messages and am getting confused. I should not have to change a file extension I would think? I put the DVD in my laptop and checked the properties and the files are .VOB on both the cut-off DVD and the the burned DVD that won't play.

I looked at the file extension on a couple of others I made, using "record DVD" and they show as .MIG

I'm totally confused and was hoping to just pop in a VHS in my machine, a recordable DVD in my burner, and let Roxio do its thing.

I'm just lost.

Any feedback that helps is greatly appreciated.

2 answers to this question

Hello: Please help. I'm getting so frustrated.

• When I do a direct "record DVD" the burn process is successful but the DVD doesn't capture all the VHS file.
  • When I do the "record, edit, save" process, then the DVD has a burn successful process but won't play in the same DVD player that the earlier cut-off recorded DVD plays.

I've tried reading some of these messages and am getting confused. I should not have to change a file extension I would think? I put the DVD in my laptop and checked the properties and the files are .VOB on both the cut-off DVD and the the burned DVD that won't play.

I looked at the file extension on a couple of others I made, using "record DVD" and they show as .MIG

I'm totally confused and was hoping to just pop in a VHS in my machine, a recordable DVD in my burner, and let Roxio do its thing.

I'm just lost.

Any feedback that helps is greatly appreciated.

I have no idea what you did when you used "record DVD". I have never heard of video files with the extension ".MIG".

A standard video DVD will have a folder called Video_TS and that folder will contain a number of files with the extensions ifo, bup and vob. If your DVD does not have these file types then you do not have a video DVD.

Also a standard 4.7GB DVD can only hold 60 minutes of best quality video. So if you are trying to squeeze longer on the DVD the quality will suffer or the video may be cut off.

The best method of creating a DVD from VHS video is to use the "record, edit, save" process. Nobody recommends the "direct" to DVD process.

Hello and thanks Digital Guru, for your reply.

As I've captured your attention, I want to continue so that I might be successful.

I agree that "direct to DVD" might not be the best method. When using this, I do get DVD's that play on my DVD player and laptop. But, they run out of space so don't capture it all. My VHS is an old purchased movie. It says that the length is 101 minutes. The recordable DVD is 120 minutes. So, I thought it would be large enough.

Now, when I use the "record, edit, save" process, this is when the DVD is not recognized in my DVD player or laptop. But, it's the same software I used in the "direct" process. I haven't changed, nor would I know to change anything. So, I'm just unclear as to why this is happening? But, I see several posts in this forum are having the same issue.

I merely mention the file extensions as when I put the burned DVD in my laptop, I check the properties and see these file extentions. I the "direct to DVD" files, I do see the folders and file extensions you mention. One question here; why does there seem to be so many IFO files in the folder. It is only one VHS I've copied so not sure why so "information" files for the same VHS? This might be why it runs out of room during the burn process because there's so many?

When you say: "I've no idea what you did during the burn process?" I must say I inly imported the file, put in a DVD and hit burn. I did nothing else.

I used your suggestion to try DVD+RW so that I would not keep using up DVDs. Because it would not play back in my DVD player, I thought maybe this had something to do with it. So, I burned the same file on a Verbatim DVD+R DL. But, it was the same issue. The DVD player and laptop doesn't recognize the file? So, this is the situation I am facing.

Again, thanks for any feedback, reply, suggestion and patience.

Regards,

Steve