Sign in to follow this  
jcahouston

Black Menu Screen On Dvd Playback

Question

I have created a slideshow video using MyDvd with no chapters on Creator 2011 pro using Windows 7. On playback on a dvd player with blu-ray capability everything seems to run ok except the top menu screen is black but the audio backgroud is playing. I have created several slideshows with a combination of stills and movie clips and have never encountered this issue before. Once I start the video playing everything progresses nomally. I hope you can help, I have no idea where to start. Let me know if additional data is required. Thank you.

10 answers to this question

Total Time of the Project and its' Quality Setting?

When you play it on other machines and on your PC, how does it work?

Length of project has no effect. I am using High quality, progeressive, and 16 x 9. I have tried 3 different projects from 15 to 45 minutes in length. Bascially the menu background is not getting recorded and I have no errors, the burn runs to completion. I am also having a problem with the menu button link. I cannot get the play button to link to the 1st slide or video in the production and settings box will not allow me to change it. Thank you for your response

I neglected to reply to playing on other pc's. The results are the same on my windows desktop, windows laptop, and macbook. No background on the menu but the added text and button displays.

Which menu screen are you using or did you make your own? Have you tried a different one? Are you using your own audio tracks? Have you tried burning to a folder set or ISO and then burning the folder set or ISO to the DVD?

How about on someone else's player?

Edited by sknis

I have used Roxio Creator 8,9,10, and currently 11. It is my experience that the product has always been sensitive to the state of the computer and software and the first response to most problems is to reinstall. So, Here is my present condition. I have reinstalled the software, ran disk defrag and optimization, registry defrag, and file cleanup. I started with the Blue Silver menu because I could get 150 seconds of audio with it. That is the longest audio I have been able to obtain on any menu. I then changed to the Wedding menu because I can get 150 seconds of audio on it also. I assembled a 5 minute video using the Wedding menu and it compiled and ran perfectly. I am restarting my computer and closing as many processes as possible before assembling a video. I am now going to attempt some longer projects.

I have a suspicion that some of my problems may lie with the age ( processor and video cards, etc) of my computer. My C drive is 300 gB and I have only 100 Gb of free space. Do you know if that may be an issue? Is there any estimate or any way to measure the resource required to compile a video? I know my processor runs an average of 80% an hits 100% during the compile. I may be facing a computer upgrade if I wish to continue but I do not wish to upgrade to windows 8.

I don't really think anything on the PC would have any effect beyond shear processing TIME...

Normally when someone has this sort of issue it is due to the Quality being set low resulting is low mbps rendering which many players have issues with.

You said you set it HQ and you can check the Properties of one of the VOB files on your disc to make sure it is at 8-9 mbps for the Total Bitrate ;) - that is why I asked about Total Time, it Does Matter!

Quality of media could be an issue... You never said what you were using and keep in mind it can go bad just sitting around for years.

Ok, now I am really puzzled. I went back to one of my longer projects. I can watch the progress during the burn and everything looks like it is going well but when it gets to the "record menu" step, videowave just crashes and goes away??? no error messages, nothing. I am using Verbatim dvd-R 4.7gb 16x disks. I used them with the short program with no problem. The program is 24.27 minutes long and the iso file is 2,133,440kb and the dmsd file is 3,028kb. I think this meets your bitrate guideline. I don't know where to go from here. I will try another brand of dvd disk and cut the video program back in time length to see if I can get a succesful burn. very discouraging!

I just wanted to let you know. I reduced my project by a few seconds and after six attempts I was able to get a successful build, but I have no idea why it finally worked. I think we should close this thread since it is not going anywhere definitive or helpful to anyone. Thank you for your responses. Oh, bty, I cut a dvd from one of the earlier iso files and it would not play. Thank you.

Thanks for getting back!

The only way changing the length can effect the Bit rate is if you are using "Fit to Disc". And there the changes can be abruptly changed by seconds or ever a frame :huh:

But you said you were using HQ Quality and there, only you can change the bit rate ;)

With Creator 2011, I do recall, running a Repair install on occasions when I started to hit little things like this that made no sense...

It is something you might want to try when you have a little time on your hands -_- Goes like this:

First thing to do is to turn off your Anti Virus, Firewalls, Registry Cleaners, etc.

Now insert your Roxio Disc.

Be sure you accept the offer to Check for Updates (this is for Roxio, not Windows)

When you reach the screen where
Repair
is offered, choose that!

When the Repair competes, turn your AV & Firewall back on and reboot.

We will leave the light on for you...