• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
TheOmegaPixel

Separate Audio And Video Components

Question

Hi, I'm not sure if this has been covered but if it has been just feel free to drop the link in the reply.

I want to a buy the Game capture pro card but i need to know if it can work with my current set up.

I want to record PC games (and consoles in the future).

My Video currently feeds through a HDMI cable to my monitor and my sound is directly into my headset from my mother board's on board sound (via 3.5mm headphone jack).

My question is; can I run the video component through HDMI and then run the audio seperately through the audio ports on the device?

How I imagine I would accomplish this is by running the video through HDMI cables as per intended.

Then run the audio through the sound card in my PC via a 3.5mm jack (standard analogue headphone jacks) into a 3.5mm to 2xRCA adapter, then into the capture device, out to a 2xRCA to 3.5mm jack adapter then into my headset.

Will this record audio and visuals in one file, all synced?

Also can I run Audio and Video from a console in a similar fashion?

I will be purchasing a small laptop to attach the capture device to, so details for that are unkown.

my system is:

intel core i7 3930k

Asus nvidia gtx560ti

Asus Rampage IV Formula (with on board sound card)

2TB HDD + 500GB HDD (no raid)

16GB RAM at 1333MHz

Samsung TV/Monitor

Thanks

9 answers to this question

...if the laptop will do the capturing, your system specs are moot :huh:

But the Laptop must meet or Exceed these specs ~ HERE

You did notice the, or Exceed part :)

It should work as you describe... I have added audio into the capture seperately and it combines with the audio carried by the HDMI.

In fact that is the 'trick' listed to capture your own comentary, which Roxio otherwise left out ;)

Ok so just an update, I bought a hd pro device and set it up but it isn't working as intended. I can capture video through the hdmi component but when I run the audio through the 2 RCA ports for audio I get nothing in my capture. I should mention that I can't get audio through my monitor so running audio along the hdmi component isn't an option.

I can't find any option to select an audio device in the captures.

Not sure about the PC part,I haven't tried but as far as the console goes,yes you can use a headset,many people do.

They usually come with an adapter that goes inline from the audio out RCA's on the console.

I use an XBox as my console and I run video using HDMI and then have the HD audio adapter plugged in also.This gives me a second audio out that has RCA's.These are what I connect to my headset.

I also get sound thru the HDMI that goes to my home theater setup and can be heard through there.

On Xbox at least you can get 2 audio sources but only 1 video.

On the PC I would think it might work the same as you tell Windows what Playback device to use.

If you tell it to use the Video cards sound it will come out on the HDMI cable.If you tell it to use your sound card (as would be normal) then I'd think you'd still get it from the headphone jack.If that's the case then the mini-rca adapter would probably work.

I solved the problem by using a small tv as a new monitor so i can now run audio through the hdmi.

I then just plug in my headset to the tv and have an extension cable for my headset's mic.

Ok so just an update, I bought a hd pro device and set it up but it isn't working as intended. I can capture video through the hdmi component but when I run the audio through the 2 RCA ports for audio I get nothing in my capture. I should mention that I can't get audio through my monitor so running audio along the hdmi component isn't an option.

I can't find any option to select an audio device in the captures.

What are you trying to capture that won't go through? Gameplay audio or just your microphone?

If it's a case of the former, I don't know what to tell you as we need more specifics. If it's a case of the latter, check to see if your microphone isn't muted or has in Windows Volume Control (Every version I've seen tends to do this by default for some weird reason). You may also wanna check the mic gain too (NOTE - Mic Gain & Volume Control ARE NOT one & the same though mic gain is part of the Volume Control UI) as should be set to AT LEAST 20 db for decent mic volume

Hope this helps.....

Happy Gaming :)

Edited by PC Gameboy

What are you trying to capture that won't go through? Gameplay audio or just your microphone?

If it's a case of the former, I don't know what to tell you as we need more specifics. If it's a case of the latter, check to see if your microphone isn't muted or has in Windows Volume Control (Every version I've seen tends to do this by default for some weird reason). You may also wanna check the mic gain too (NOTE - Mic Gain & Volume Control ARE NOT one & the same though mic gain is part of the Volume Control UI) as should be set to AT LEAST 20 db for decent mic volume

Hope this helps.....

Happy Gaming :)

I don't really see how this would work???

The RGC only captures what is traveling down the USB cable to the PC... Any settings about volume or a microphone connected to the PC are totally irrelevant :huh: