Not Liking This Software

fungusbrains

Question

I bought this software today. I tried to burn a video to disk, using various formats of the video. Some formats won't burn. Some formats won't give me sound. The one format that gave me video and sound only had half a picture, with half the screen black.

I spent 30 bucks to buy this disk at Wal Mart, and so far it is useless to me. I didn't get a support code in my email either. It took several steps, but I was finally able to log in on this forum.

Can someone help, or do I need to unregister and find a sucker who will buy the disk from me?

Now I will only get 5 hours of sleep, and my presentation will not be ready for tomorrow.

AND, I wasted several DVD disks.

Edited by fungusbrains
  • Like 1

7 answers to this question

Let me be more specific then. I have a video on my pc. I wanted a video DVD to play in a VCR. It came out with good video and no sound. I used a converter to change the format of the video, and got the same result when I burned it. I tried a couple of other formats, and they weren't supported. I finally got one to work (wmv?), the sound was good, but the video screen was half black, and I only got half of the picture.

It's too late now. I spent $30 and missed my opportunity. I would like the program to be able to work, but it is no good to me if I can't use it for the purpose for which I bought it.

Let me be more specific then. I have a video on my pc. I wanted a video DVD to play in a VCR. It came out with good video and no sound. I used a converter to change the format of the video, and got the same result when I burned it. I tried a couple of other formats, and they weren't supported. I finally got one to work (wmv?), the sound was good, but the video screen was half black, and I only got half of the picture.

It's too late now. I spent $30 and missed my opportunity. I would like the program to be able to work, but it is no good to me if I can't use it for the purpose for which I bought it.

A DVD to play in a VCR? :blink:

Why did you use a converter? What converter? What was the initial video format? Where did you get the video?

You have really not supplied any information in order to help you.

You bought a limited version of a full program (what do you expect for $30) which does not support all video formats as input.

"computer specs exceed the minimum requirements." means nothing, list them.

avi (original, no sound was on the DVD, so I tried burning more formats as listed below, all with poor results)

quicktime

mp4

wmv

realplayer format

If you need that specific on the computer hardware, then the specs are not truthful.

And, smartiepants, we old folks have our DVD player on our VCR.

I think I will box the program and send it to Roxio with a nice little note.

avi (original, no sound was on the DVD, so I tried burning more formats as listed below, all with poor results)

quicktime

mp4

wmv

realplayer format

If you need that specific on the computer hardware, then the specs are not truthful.

And, smartiepants, we old folks have our DVD player on our VCR.

I think I will box the program and send it to Roxio with a nice little note.

I am an "old folks" too ( and have been working with computers since 1961 )and I wouldn't have one of those "DVD-VCR combis" if given to me free! BTW, I figured that is what you meant.

There are 100's of different avi formats and you program does not recognize most of them. It may also not recognize mp4 or "quicktime" or whatever format you mean. RealPlayer of course is a totally useless format.

Sending it back to Roxio is also a pointless since you did not get it from them.

You bought a "crippled" program from WalMart so take it back to them.

Thank you for the explanation of your goal.

It would be a big help to know which version of the Red Box you have, as there have been Four of them to date and many older ones are still sitting on dealers shelves :huh:

It will either be Version 10:

post-39730-0-11959200-1375959356_thumb.jpg

Or Version 14:

post-39730-0-17494300-1375962693_thumb.jpg

(Versions 6 & 9 should be long gone from the shelves and only found in the attics of Ebay ;) )

Your PC specs may be needed and I fail to understand your reluctance to provide them! But if there is something I need you check or change don't you think it would be helpful to both of us if I knew your operating system :wacko:

And now a little DVD Player 101...

ALL
DVD Players will play a 'DVD Movie'!

But Only
Some
will play a Data Disc with video files in a limited number of formats...

Not ALL Players can play every disc out there! Some struggle or will not play some brands or types of media...

And some Players will have trouble with any DVD Movie, Authored in any setting below HQ!

Knowing that, you can see why your attempts to output to other formats did not work...

Most likely the missing audio from your attempt to Author a DVD Movie falls into 2 categories...

One is that your Source Files used AC3 audio.

In that case you received a warning that AC3 Audio was not supported and will be replaced with Silence!

If that was the case, then it was a self inflected user error ;)

Your Player may require LCPM Audio over MPEG-1... This is the Default in V14 but needs to be set in V10.

Media is possible but less likely... Generally stick with the good stuff, Verbatim (Singapore) and Taiyo Yuden (JVC) and you can't go wrong!

Any of that ring a bell?

Edited by Jim_Hardin