dr135

Exact Same Issue - Split From Another User's Topic

Question

I'm having the exact same issue. I'm using Memorex disks. And get this, I can burn using the Roxio Burn. so, its not the disks. It's the software. When I use the Burn Data module in Roxio NXT, I get your same error. I think there's something messing up. I also found that having AnyDVD HD running screws up Roxio at times, so I turn it off when burning to Roxio Burn. But the burning in Roxio is so bad that I lose 1 out of 2 disks, also. Tried different disks, doesn't help. I did a format and it worked right for a while, then back to this error. Can't burn any disks right now. Another funny thing is that when I uninstall and reinstall NXT, it doesn't help. But, when I do a clean install of Win 8, the problem goes away. So, I think it is a driver error somewhere, or something wrong with Roxio interacting with something in a full windows system. If you find something that helps, please lety me know what to try. I also wonder if having an SSD on my C Drive may do something, though my temp drive is a regular hard drive. Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated cause I can not even use Roxio right now for much, and that hurts a lot.

I'm having the exact same issue. I'm using Memorex disks. And get this, I can burn using the Roxio Burn. so, its not the disks. It's the software. When I use the Burn Data module in Roxio NXT, I get your same error. I think there's something messing up. I also found that having AnyDVD HD running screws up Roxio at times, so I turn it off when burning to Roxio Burn. But the burning in Roxio is so bad that I lose 1 out of 2 disks, also. Tried different disks, doesn't help. I did a format and it worked right for a while, then back to this error. Can't burn any disks right now. Another funny thing is that when I uninstall and reinstall NXT, it doesn't help. But, when I do a clean install of Win 8, the problem goes away. So, I think it is a driver error somewhere, or something wrong with Roxio interacting with something in a full windows system. If you find something that helps, please lety me know what to try. I also wonder if having an SSD on my C Drive may do something, though my temp drive is a regular hard drive. Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated cause I can not even use Roxio right now for much, and that hurts a lot.

It's not the software. Afterall Roxio Burn works as you say and the Burn Data of NXT uses the same burn engine.

Most likely it is the bottom of the barrel Memorex discs you are using

Before discounting the discs being the problem, try a few of a few different brands and check it out. It's a pretty inexpensive and quick test.

I will try verbatim and let you know what happens. I thought for sure it wasn't the disks, but I'll try again. Appreciate your suggestions and beliefs this will work. Thanks.

I Tried TDK, since a family member had them, and that didn't work either. All are DVD +R DL. Will try more.

Exact Same Issue - Split From Another User's Topic

What issue is that?

Error messages?

Almost (but not quite) always when I am copying a DVD using NXT the program stops halfway through the process and delivers the message "There was a problem writing to the disc". This happens whether or not I have saved an image of the file first. The failed discs are all brand new. The DVDs to be copied have no protection, usually doc files or music file backups, sometimes mp4 files but none with DRM.

The detailed error message this latest time was:

The following is the error message I get every time.... It occurs within seconds of starting the burn process in Data Burn. if it doesn't come up, which is very rare, the disk usually doesn't burn right. I haven't burned a good disk in more than 2 months using Data Burn. Sense: 03 ASC: 73 AS CQ: 03 (Command 2A)

Px.dll: 5.04.17.1

PxAFS.DLL: 5.04.17.1

pxdrv.dll: 1.02.88c

PxMas.dll: 5.04.17.1

PxSFS.DLL: 5.04.17.1

PxWave.dll: 5.04.17.1

pxwma.dll 1, 0, 0, 3

trying Verbatim disks today, but I'm betting the same error occurs as on the other 2 brands I've tried.

Power calibration area error

There are many cases where there is a problem with the disc, or information cannot be retrieved from the disc properly. The PC may be unstable or try a new disc.

Can you burn with another application?

Try this free software to burn the Roxio image file to disc.

9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB) CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application

Tried verbatim disks and they too have same error. 3 different types. So digital guru who said it was the disks is obviously incorrect. I can burn using the Roxio Burn, but sometimes they are bad, even though they say they aren't, or they'll stop inbetween. Had same problem 3 months ago and did a complete win 8 clean install. worked for a while, then Roxio did the same thing. trying imgburn

Had same problem 3 months ago and did a complete win 8 clean install. worked for a while, then Roxio did the same thing.

There are many cases where there is a problem with the disc, or information cannot be retrieved from the disc properly. The PC may be unstable or try a new disc.

With imgburn, the disk burned beautifully. The same disk that Roxio wouldn't burn and had the above error. I can't understand why you might think this is a physical disk error. I feel clueless, sorry if I don't get it. But again, the very disk that Roxio wouldn't burn and came up with error, Imgburn burned beautifully and even verified and I used the files.... and they worked perfectly. What do we do next?

It's quite clear that it is a software issue.

You mentioned earlier that having AnyDVD HD running broke Roxio's burns so you turn it off when burning. AnyDVD puts its AnyDVD.sys filter in the same lowerfilters registry key where later versions of Roxio software put PxHelp20.sys, so those two .sys files could be interfering.

Suggestion: Since AnyDVD is very simple to uninstall and reinstall, how about

-uninstalling AnyDVD, and deleting anydvd.sys from C:\Windows\Sysytem32\Drivers

-restarting the machine and trying a Roxio burn

-reinstalling AnyDVD

If this doesn't clear the problem you've only lost a few minutes time, but if it clears the problem then you've nailed the cause on the head.

Regards,

Brendon

Yes, as Brendon said, now that you have done all of the steps you've done, it clearly isn't a simple disc issue. But it's always worth ruling that out. It's a fairly inexpensive thing to test, and doesn't take too long. Thanks for doing that.

Same error comes us px.dll error as before. it comes immediately when you set it to burn.. then the DVD door pops open and it wants you to insert another disk... doesn't matter what I do, it repeats. AnyDVD was removed completely, anydvd.sys was not in drivers as I checked after removing. Restarted computer, same error. Got another idea? Thanks for the help, by the way. Dave by the way, I'm running Win 8 64 bit with a 2700K processor, 8 gig ram an NVidia 570GTX, a Bluray burner (2 months old, but prevfious drive did the same error which is why I got the new one :)) and DVD burner. The error comes in either drive. But get this. It will now burn a disk image I just made with Roxio, but not burn without that error on the regular Data Burn. Also, if it helps, when typing to name the disk I am to burn on the Burn Data Menu, it types slowly, as if something is hanging up or interfering. And, the same thing happens when I'm choosing video to edit in advanced video edit.... it hangs, and often will time out and lock up and Windows will tell me to close the program and it wants to contact Microsoft with the problem with the program. I don't know if its anything, but nothing on my computer hangs, so its just unusual. Any other ideas?

Hi,

Sorry that removing AnyDVD didn't work, but it was worth checking.

The error that's being reported is a Power Calibration error. The display of the PX Engine modules is just a diagnostic to show a Support tech what version of the PX Engine you're running - it doesn't mean there is an error in the PX Engine.

The Power Calibration Area is a piece of the disc where the drive tries writes at varying levels of laser power. It then reads back those writes, and picks the most suitable power level for that disc. If it can't find a suitable speed/power level combination the burner reports a Power Calibration Error.

This error usually shows with either a shoddy quality of blank disc, or a burner drive which is failing, or infrequently a burner drive with a dirty lens. Your drive shouldn't be falling off its perch at only 2 months old. From your description about when you're entering the name it does sound as if something is interfering with the software. Anything which is interfering could stuff up timing loops and cause total chaos like you've described. Trouble is I can't think of a way to nail down what it might be. :(

Brendon

OP says that an uninstall and then reinstall of NXT doesn't cure the problem, only a reinstall of Windows 8, so I don't think a 'repair' would do anything that uninstall/reinstall doesn't do. That's why I haven't suggested one.

But, I'd be happy to be proven wrong on this.

Uninstalled and reinstalled, and same error occurs at same time, with the same lagginess as listed above. I still haven't installed AnyDVD yet, so no part of it has been running during reinstallation or post-installation. Do you know where I might go to solve this? Imgburn still works fine, burning an ISO file works fine on both drives.

I have seen posts like this before, why I asked you to try ImgBurn in the first place.

My advice use ImgBurn. ;)

then, you don't feel we can solve the problem, I guess. Didn't get your point at the time, thought we were diagnosing. Sorry.

By the way, Nero 12 works fine for burning also. Power2Go also works fine. I don't understand why Roxio NXT Pro fails to burn very same disks. I think its probably a bug of some kind. So, all in all, we tried multiple brands of Disks, and in the end, Imgburn, Nero 12, and Power2Go all will burn Data Disks, but this type of error continues on Roxio NXT Pro. And, uninstalling and reinstalling Roxio NXT Pro does not help. I hope someone, sometime discovers a fix. As for now, my Roxio NXT Pro is sidelined for burning Data Disks. Though I love it for Several other things, it is too unreliable for serious Data archiving for me anyway.

After 1 month of working, I figured out the problem. The statistics say this can't happen, but it did. Normally with this kind of error, you should try different media, blow out your drive with compressed air, all of which I did to no avail. Then, after doing everything, I replaced the bluray burner drive. Originally, I had a Plextor that showed this power calibration error. then, I bought a new drive and got the same error. I even tried replacing the SATA cable and a different SATA connector on the motherboard. In the end, I thought having a newer drive prevented me from the same problem. But it didn't. When I replaced the burner, the error never showed. It was a bad Bluray burner. And though it sometimes burned fine with one program or another, the drive must have been dying. Too bad drives can't tell you when they are dying some other way like being SMART capable, but they can't. So, a new burner fixed the problem. I think this is significant. So, with 2 drives with calibration errors (what's the chance of that?), I found out both my old and several month old drive were both bad and a new drive fixed the calibration error problem. Roxio NXT is NOT, NOT, NOT, NOT the problem. So glad to be back burning again! thanks for all who helped.

Well, sorry. The new drive did not solve the problem. After burning several disks, the power calibration error is back. It now is found on 4 different DVD and bluray burners. I reinstalled Windows 8 64 bit and with no other programs installed, then I installed Roxio NXT. The power calibration error came up again. I'm now using Nero 12 with no problems. I fear this is the end of the road for me and NXT Pro. I don't want to buy NXT 2 Pro because I'm afraid the problem will continue. I love Roxio's GUI so much. Hate Nero's GUI. But, I'm out of options.

FOUND THE PROBLEM... AFTER LONG TRIAL! I found that my SDD from Crucial was faulty and thus, Roxio Burn would lose the controller connection to the hard drive. Crucial did acknowledge this as a defective drive and has since replaced the drive and I've had No problems, except with AnyDVD. With Anydvd, I cannot erase a rewritable disk or burn a disk in several different bluray and DVD writers I've tried. I know this is a bug with anydvd hd which I'm using. After closing anydvd hd, the burning and rewriting work perfect IF I RESTART ROXIO AFTER SHUTTING ANYDVD HD DOWN! Hope this helps anyone out there!