• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Supported Input Formats...photo

jasperita@yahoo.com

Question

Hello, I don't understand Photo "Supported Input Formats" of System Requirements. I just bought an iMac Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.4. I had to get an external burner for this computer. LG External Blu-ray Writer. Model BE14NU40. It only has software for PC, but plugs and plays some with my computer without software. Without software I can read CDs and write to a blank CD. I have never had DVDs or Blu-ray. It will not burn Blu-rays either without software. I've been told. I've been pulling my hair out trying to get this external burner onboard. I contacted Apple and they gave me a short list of software programs that would work with the writer and my Mac. The only program that also allowed a Blu-ray burn was Roxio. I have only had one computer in the past. A Gateway PC 500 SE I got in 2002. Roxio Easy CD Creator Version 5.1(57) 1989-2000 was bundled with the computer. I kind of grew up with being able to add to a multi-session, non finalized CD many times. I also burned many Photo data CDs. Most photos were Tiff, but some were my Nikon camera's raw NEF files. They always burned without any problem. I took all this for granted. Now in trying to learn about Toast Pro (the only program, I guess that will let me do multi-session disks and burn Blu-ray) I came to the System Requirements for Toast 11 and Toast Pro. Both have the "Supported Input Formats," for Photo listing all these file formats, but no Raw files are to be seen!!!! I don't understand what this is all about. Will Toast not pick up Nef files? I am now mostly going to take Nef files on my camera and do not want to archive these files on optical disk as any other file but Nef. If this is so, and the Nef files can not be burned to disks as Nef, I can't believe it since I've been doing this for years with Easy CD Creator 5.1! What is going on here? And even more so, what could I do to fix this? Is there any other software that can do it? How could this be fixed? I was almost ready to get Toast! Thank You So Much for any help in this. I don't know so much about it and I've contacted my writer company, Apple, Best Buy and no one else knows too much about this.

Thank You So Much For Any Help,

Thank You,

Sandy

4 answers to this question

The limited photo formats only apply when making a video DVD, Blu-ray video or what Roxio calls a photo disc in which it creates a special Mac & PC slide show. What you're wanting to do is make a data disc and Toast will burn anything as data.

You also refer to burning incremental data on discs. Macs do this different from PCs when using CD media and don't do it at all on DVD media. However, you can do it using Toast with Blu-ray discs by inserting the blank Blu-ray media and choosing "Format Blu-ray disc for dynamic writing" in the Toast Recorder menu. Burning incrementally to CD media involves choosing "Write Session" instead of "Write Disc" in the Advanced tab of the Recorder Settings menu. Each session shows up as an individual volume on the desktop and there is no erasing and rewriting unless you choose to erase an entire disc using CD-RW media. What I suggest is using either a USB flash drive or Blu-ray dynamic writing to do incremental data burning.

I am SO HAPPY TO HEAR I can burn my NEF photo files in Toast and also do multi-session disks, except DVD!! Thank You So Much!!! I am thinking of getting Toast Pro. Roxio said this was the softwear that would burn Blu-ray. Maybe a thumbdrive would be better to archive my documents on. I'm not sure of thumbdrives for photos though. How long and stable is their archival life? Have too many sessions on my document CDs to have these many volumes on my desktop! Thumbdrives sure take up less space! On Blue-ray how do individual sessions show up? I was wondering if here was the place to ask questions if I have a question on running Toast? Does Toast have any instruction on it? Does the Roxio site have instruction on Toast? Thank You so much for this information. I was really hung up on anywhere else to ask. Changing from Mac to PC has not been as hard yet, as the new blue-ray writer with the Mac! Thank You again for your help,

Sandy

Toast has a some tutorials you can view when it is opened. It also has a pretty good guide in the Help menu. Your questions are welcome here and there is a lot of information you can search for in this forum. Toast 11 Pro includes the Blu-ray plugin which is needed if you want to make a Blu-ray video disc. I don't think the Blu-ray plug in is needed for burning the data discs, however. The Pro version has some nice extra applications. If you don't think you'll use those extras, you can buy the Blu-ray plugin individually. The Toast application itself is the same whether you buy the Pro or Standard versions, with the exception of the Blu-ray plugin.

Roxio also has a site called My Moments which includes tips and tutorials. Here is a link: http://mymoments.roxio.com/enu/hot-topics.html

As for the stability of flash or thumb drives, I don't know. I recommend them to people who wish they could use DVD media for incremental burning. Instead, use a 4 GB flash drive and when it gets full copy it to a DVD, erase the flash drive and begin again.

I haven't tried Dynamic Writing using a rewritable Blu-ray disc but my assumption is the disc becomes just like a hard drive where files can be added and erased. I'm pretty sure dynamic writing requires a rewritable disc.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE HELP! I will be reading up and printing, which always helps. My overall information for burning CDs, on a PC, in the past was just enough, with questions. I really am grateful for this information and help! Hope to search the board! Thank You again.

Sandy