• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Microsoft error message

RVdave

Question

I just downloaded and tried installing Easy Media Creator 9 Suite on my desktop and laptop, and have the same problem on both. When pushing the Roxio Home desktop icon to start the program, I get a MS error message saying "Roxio Creator has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." I then have the opportunity to Send MS the error report, which I did. Both machines are running XP SP2 and I've download this program 3 times and have uninstalled/re-installed it at least 5 times without any success. Is this a Windows compatibility problem, or a Creator 9 problem? I just ordered a backup CD, hoping I'll have more success with the CD than I'm having with the download. I've followed similar threads on this forum and have purged the registry of all Sonic and Roxio entries, so I "think" I'm doing as clean an install as possible. Thanks for any help you can provide. - Dave

• Answers 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to hear you got it taken care of :) Appreciate you posting back and letting us know.

So does it mean you really are a "HappyBob" now? (sorry, couldn't resist :huh: )

BTW, were you charged for the phone support?

No Larry, I was not charged for the phone support, that made me a HappyBob!

Actually, I'm happy most of the time, just a little frustrated around the edges (sometimes).

HappyBob and BsAs Wolverine,

If yuo're getting the error without IE 7 or Vista installed, then go to the EMC 9 suport contact page here and call Roxio.

First my apologies.... When I wrote the following:

I might as well add my voice to this. My windows is completely updated, Drivers are completely updated, running with SP2, Windows XP Prof. Begain with a clean install (removed any traces of prior roxio/sonic products as suggested in other threads, Used registry cleaner and rebooted) before installing EMC9 which was purchased at retail (full boxed version). Installation went smoothly. BUT... when I run the program components (e.g. MyDVD) I get all the same buffer overrun statements as Sgtrich reported in post #15 of this thread. Eventually I get the Visual C++ runtime error and complete program shutdown.

However, if I launch EMC9 using exactly the same procedure MyDVD runs without any apparent flaws. So I have a workaround, but it still suggests that something is very wrong.

Any thoughts???

I forgot to add the most important point, specifically that If I launch EMC9 from under any other profile except the profile that installed it..... then it works without any apparent flaws. I am at a loss to explain why my wife can use the software, my son can use the software, but when I log on with my profile it won't run without fatal errors.

I will enter this to the roxio support page, but based on other tries with Roxio Support, it seems like the best help comes from other users. That's why I'm posting here.

So why won't the software work with my profile?

Thanks

My machine is completely updated, according to Windows Update.

After Easy Media Creator 9 seemed to install flawlessly, every time I start it, approx. a minute later, I get the following error message:

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

-------------------------------------------

Buffer overrun detected!

Program:...d\9.0\RoxioCentral33\Main\Roxio_Central33.exe

A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the program's internal state. The program cannot safely continue execution and must now be terminated."

Then, after closing that error message, I get this one:

"Runtime error!

R6025

- pure virtual function call."

When I click the OK box on that message, EMC9 closes.

Help?

This is the problem I've been having. I don't have IE 7 installed, and Windows and all other drivers are completely up to date. I can get the program to work properly (or at least I don't get the error message) under my wife's user profile and one that I created just to test working with this program. The error message occurs only under my own user profile. All of the user profiles on my computer have Admin privileges. It seems that the program is corrupting the user profile to which it is downloaded/installed.

First my apologies.... When I wrote the following:

I might as well add my voice to this. My windows is completely updated, Drivers are completely updated, running with SP2, Windows XP Prof. Begain with a clean install (removed any traces of prior roxio/sonic products as suggested in other threads, Used registry cleaner and rebooted) before installing EMC9 which was purchased at retail (full boxed version). Installation went smoothly. BUT... when I run the program components (e.g. MyDVD) I get all the same buffer overrun statements as Sgtrich reported in post #15 of this thread. Eventually I get the Visual C++ runtime error and complete program shutdown.

However, if I launch EMC9 using exactly the same procedure MyDVD runs without any apparent flaws. So I have a workaround, but it still suggests that something is very wrong.

Any thoughts???

I forgot to add the most important point, specifically that If I launch EMC9 from under any other profile except the profile that installed it..... then it works without any apparent flaws. I am at a loss to explain why my wife can use the software, my son can use the software, but when I log on with my profile it won't run without fatal errors.

I will enter this to the roxio support page, but based on other tries with Roxio Support, it seems like the best help comes from other users. That's why I'm posting here.

So why won't the software work with my profile?

Thanks

Don't know the why, but it has been posted that they are working on a fix for it . In the meantime, if you call the number at the link I posted, they should be able to help you get it resolved.

I am having the same problem with Buffer Overrun errors. In fact, I am getting the Buffer Overflow eerror every few seconds, in response to simply moving my mouse over the desktop.

I have read this and a related thread. I do not have, and have never had, IE7 installed. I have disabled RoxWatchTray. That seems to have reduced the number of error messages but I still can not run Media Manager: it was giving the same error message. Now, it just does nothing when I select the menu item on my Start menu.

This is a brand new installation (I downloaded the software this morning). I am about to try a re-installation. But, this really isn't a very acceptable process. Blaming IE7 may be true in some cases. But, clearly the problme exists in other situations too.

This is the problem I've been having. I don't have IE 7 installed, and Windows and all other drivers are completely up to date. I can get the program to work properly (or at least I don't get the error message) under my wife's user profile and one that I created just to test working with this program. The error message occurs only under my own user profile. All of the user profiles on my computer have Admin privileges. It seems that the program is corrupting the user profile to which it is downloaded/installed.

I am having the same problem... I do not have IE 7 installed (never did) and I am up to date with my Windows updates. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Seems like this is a pretty common problem.

I had the same issues on my system after installing EMC 9 from EMC 8. I do not load the Media Manager or Back Up so I could not try disabling Roxwatch in the msconfig startup. I did have the latest version of IE 7 on my system and found that when I uninstalled IE 7 everything worked fine. I will try to reinstall IE 7 and see if it changes anything now that I have EMC 9 registered and working finally. My system is a self-built computer with the latest technology running Windows XP Pro SP2 and all available updates. I enjoy the use of IE 7 and hopefully Roxio will get this problem fixed quickly or I might have to look elsewhere for my burning/media software. I will post again after I install IE 7 again to let you know it worked or did not work for me.

If this was a downloaded update, it may be a corrupted file. Download again and see if it helps. If you have a bad connection, you may need to order the disks, if this was a download.

Nope. I installed EMC9 from a CD supplied by Roxio. Also, I do not have, or ever had, IE7 beta installed. I created a support ticket with Roxio Support and got an auto-response from them, saying to check their Knowledge Base, etc. and, if that did not help, "update your webticket with a detailed explanation..." I DID give a detailed explanation in my original request!

In googling "R6025", it is apparent that this is a program error, which we can do nothing to correct on our own. We have to wait for Roxio to produce an update to correct the bug in the program. Roxio, is anybody there?

Okay, this worked for me not sure if it will work for everyone else. I loaded EMC 9 and the content pack minus the back up and Media Manager. I do not use either of these programs from Roxio. It gave me an error message when I tried to start Roxio from the Roxio Home Icon. I uninstalled my IE 7 and clicked the Roxio Home Icon again and it went into registering my Roxio and started to work like a champ. I decided to try a reinstall of my IE 7 and rebooted my computer. I started IE 7 and surfed for a while then went back and clicked on the Roxio Home Icon and by the grace of the computer GODS and all that is HOLY it worked like a champ. I burned a few disks and it seems to truck on through it. Not sure why but it appears IE 7 kept the EMC 9 registration screen from showing up causing a problem with the program. If you revert to IE 6, let EMC 9 go through the registration screen, then reload IE 7 it should owrk like it did for me. I will provide further updates if something goes wrong.

Ok, I did the re-installation (45 minutes). Hasn't made a scrap of difference. I still get the Buffer Overrun error whenever I start Media Manager. I also get the same error each time after a re-boot.

This really is stupid and frustrating. I paid for this up-grade mainly becuase my HP DigitalMedia Archive and Sonic MyDVD software got broken and kept giving errors. The Roxio web-site (which is where I was sent by HP) didn't have any way to repair or fix my versions. So, I figured I'd get an upgrade and that the extra features of Easy Media Centre would give me some options I wanted to explore. I can create CD's. But it's not appropriate to expect people to buy and run sofware which is defective and giving error messages which interfere with the use of their computer.

Can someone from Roxio please respond, either in the forum or through my registered e-mail address?

Don't know the why, but it has been posted that they are working on a fix for it . In the meantime, if you call the number at the link I posted, they should be able to help you get it resolved.

Thanks Larry, I got phone support, who recognized the problem associated with installation profiles and the buffer overrun. Sent me a hotfix patch and now all is well. They said that they will be fixing this in a subsequent release. Thanks again

Thanks Larry, I got phone support, who recognized the problem associated with installation profiles and the buffer overrun. Sent me a hotfix patch and now all is well. They said that they will be fixing this in a subsequent release. Thanks again
Good to hear you got it taken care of :) Appreciate you posting back and letting us know.

So does it mean you really are a "HappyBob" now? (sorry, couldn't resist :huh: )

BTW, were you charged for the phone support?

Dave

I have the same problem with buffer overrun detected message - I just downloaded the new program and hoping my backup will work or some one answers our mesage.

I got the same problem (buffer overrun) - the program starts but after about 10 seconds I get the same message and the program is terminated.

I don't have IE 7 beta installed and I used regedit to erase all informations concerning "roxio" or "sonic".

Then I installed the downloaded file again, but there still is no change - I can not us the program.

I really hope, someone knows how to handle this.

Thanks for your help!

Bernie

Ok, I did the re-installation (45 minutes). Hasn't made a scrap of difference. I still get the Buffer Overrun error whenever I start Media Manager. I also get the same error each time after a re-boot.

This really is stupid and frustrating. I paid for this up-grade mainly becuase my HP DigitalMedia Archive and Sonic MyDVD software got broken and kept giving errors. The Roxio web-site (which is where I was sent by HP) didn't have any way to repair or fix my versions. So, I figured I'd get an upgrade and that the extra features of Easy Media Centre would give me some options I wanted to explore. I can create CD's. But it's not appropriate to expect people to buy and run sofware which is defective and giving error messages which interfere with the use of their computer.

Can someone from Roxio please respond, either in the forum or through my registered e-mail address?

I am not Roxio; just a user like you. Are you sure that the earlier programs got broken or did something else on your computer break? Audio codecs, other software updates, etc. You did not give us enough information to help troubleshoot your problem on your computer. How much free and defraggmented hard drive space do you have/ Did you try to do a install using your own tweaks?

We have seen that in about 90% of the cases running all of the latest windows updates fixes the issue. Give that a try first.

This machine has all of the MS updates applied. Of course we just went through "update Tuesday" and that update was applied today.

If, I turn off Roxwatch, in msconfig, will that disable any of the functionality of the Roxio suite?

I am not Roxio; just a user like you. Are you sure that the earlier programs got broken or did something else on your computer break? Audio codecs, other software updates, etc. You did not give us enough information to help troubleshoot your problem on your computer. How much free and defraggmented hard drive space do you have/ Did you try to do a install using your own tweaks?

The computer is about 2 months old, an HP MCE. I tried no 'tweaks', just the default insallation. The main disc is 250G with about 160G free. HP DigitalMedia Archive was posting an error box requesting access to installation files every few minutes (sounds broken). The only change I have made recently was adding a Hauppage WINTv PVR card which required me to activate Microsoft Media Center. That was a real pain. I don't know what that installation changed in detail but the MCE activation wiped out all of my desktop, video monitor and similar settings. I have got all of that back into shape but, much as I have tried, I can not de-activate or remove MCE. I also installed the Haupagge WINTv software (to use instead of MCE).

If I were the only person having this Buffer Overflow problem, I'd be more willing to accept it as something on my machine. But, clearly, this is a more general problem, and not just related to IE7. It is being discussed on a number of fora. It also appears to have occured with earlier versions of the Roxio products (e.g. it is mentioned in a review of Easy CD Creator 5 on a review on Amazon.co.uk). Finally, buffer overflows are a common thing for hackers to exploit, raising security concerns. When a compnay if given evidence of a consistent problem, they should be looking into finding the coding error and fixing it. Sorry for the rant but I am sick of having to 'fix' my computer.

I am having the same problem... I do not have IE 7 installed (never did) and I am up to date with my Windows updates. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Seems like this is a pretty common problem.

I got a reply from Roxio to the ticket I created on their help system which asked me to call technical support. After taking my info, the person who answered the phone immediately told me that he would send me a link to a patch to apply to my copy of EMC9. I applied that this morning, re-booted and seem to be able to use the product without an Overrun error. It's early days but it seems like the problem may have been fixed. Don't know why this patch isn't being made avaialble more widely (unless they are in the process of adding it to the support section of thier web site). FYI.

Any thoughts???

We have seen that in about 90% of the cases running all of the latest windows updates fixes the issue. Give that a try first.

My machine is completely updated, according to Windows Update.

After Easy Media Creator 9 seemed to install flawlessly, every time I start it, approx. a minute later, I get the following error message:

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

-------------------------------------------

Buffer overrun detected!

A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the program's internal state. The program cannot safely continue execution and must now be terminated."

Then, after closing that error message, I get this one:

"Runtime error!

R6025

- pure virtual function call."

When I click the OK box on that message, EMC9 closes.

Help?

Archived