• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
RVdave

Microsoft error message

Question

I just downloaded and tried installing Easy Media Creator 9 Suite on my desktop and laptop, and have the same problem on both. When pushing the Roxio Home desktop icon to start the program, I get a MS error message saying "Roxio Creator has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." I then have the opportunity to Send MS the error report, which I did. Both machines are running XP SP2 and I've download this program 3 times and have uninstalled/re-installed it at least 5 times without any success. Is this a Windows compatibility problem, or a Creator 9 problem? I just ordered a backup CD, hoping I'll have more success with the CD than I'm having with the download. I've followed similar threads on this forum and have purged the registry of all Sonic and Roxio entries, so I "think" I'm doing as clean an install as possible. Thanks for any help you can provide. - Dave

I am having the same problem with Buffer Overrun errors. In fact, I am getting the Buffer Overflow eerror every few seconds, in response to simply moving my mouse over the desktop.

I have read this and a related thread. I do not have, and have never had, IE7 installed. I have disabled RoxWatchTray. That seems to have reduced the number of error messages but I still can not run Media Manager: it was giving the same error message. Now, it just does nothing when I select the menu item on my Start menu.

This is a brand new installation (I downloaded the software this morning). I am about to try a re-installation. But, this really isn't a very acceptable process. Blaming IE7 may be true in some cases. But, clearly the problme exists in other situations too.

Ok, I did the re-installation (45 minutes). Hasn't made a scrap of difference. I still get the Buffer Overrun error whenever I start Media Manager. I also get the same error each time after a re-boot.

This really is stupid and frustrating. I paid for this up-grade mainly becuase my HP DigitalMedia Archive and Sonic MyDVD software got broken and kept giving errors. The Roxio web-site (which is where I was sent by HP) didn't have any way to repair or fix my versions. So, I figured I'd get an upgrade and that the extra features of Easy Media Centre would give me some options I wanted to explore. I can create CD's. But it's not appropriate to expect people to buy and run sofware which is defective and giving error messages which interfere with the use of their computer.

Can someone from Roxio please respond, either in the forum or through my registered e-mail address?

Ok, I did the re-installation (45 minutes). Hasn't made a scrap of difference. I still get the Buffer Overrun error whenever I start Media Manager. I also get the same error each time after a re-boot.

This really is stupid and frustrating. I paid for this up-grade mainly becuase my HP DigitalMedia Archive and Sonic MyDVD software got broken and kept giving errors. The Roxio web-site (which is where I was sent by HP) didn't have any way to repair or fix my versions. So, I figured I'd get an upgrade and that the extra features of Easy Media Centre would give me some options I wanted to explore. I can create CD's. But it's not appropriate to expect people to buy and run sofware which is defective and giving error messages which interfere with the use of their computer.

Can someone from Roxio please respond, either in the forum or through my registered e-mail address?

I am not Roxio; just a user like you. Are you sure that the earlier programs got broken or did something else on your computer break? Audio codecs, other software updates, etc. You did not give us enough information to help troubleshoot your problem on your computer. How much free and defraggmented hard drive space do you have/ Did you try to do a install using your own tweaks?

I am not Roxio; just a user like you. Are you sure that the earlier programs got broken or did something else on your computer break? Audio codecs, other software updates, etc. You did not give us enough information to help troubleshoot your problem on your computer. How much free and defraggmented hard drive space do you have/ Did you try to do a install using your own tweaks?

The computer is about 2 months old, an HP MCE. I tried no 'tweaks', just the default insallation. The main disc is 250G with about 160G free. HP DigitalMedia Archive was posting an error box requesting access to installation files every few minutes (sounds broken). The only change I have made recently was adding a Hauppage WINTv PVR card which required me to activate Microsoft Media Center. That was a real pain. I don't know what that installation changed in detail but the MCE activation wiped out all of my desktop, video monitor and similar settings. I have got all of that back into shape but, much as I have tried, I can not de-activate or remove MCE. I also installed the Haupagge WINTv software (to use instead of MCE).

If I were the only person having this Buffer Overflow problem, I'd be more willing to accept it as something on my machine. But, clearly, this is a more general problem, and not just related to IE7. It is being discussed on a number of fora. It also appears to have occured with earlier versions of the Roxio products (e.g. it is mentioned in a review of Easy CD Creator 5 on a review on Amazon.co.uk). Finally, buffer overflows are a common thing for hackers to exploit, raising security concerns. When a compnay if given evidence of a consistent problem, they should be looking into finding the coding error and fixing it. Sorry for the rant but I am sick of having to 'fix' my computer.

The computer is about 2 months old, an HP MCE. I tried no 'tweaks', just the default insallation. The main disc is 250G with about 160G free. HP DigitalMedia Archive was posting an error box requesting access to installation files every few minutes (sounds broken). The only change I have made recently was adding a Hauppage WINTv PVR card which required me to activate Microsoft Media Center. That was a real pain. I don't know what that installation changed in detail but the MCE activation wiped out all of my desktop, video monitor and similar settings. I have got all of that back into shape but, much as I have tried, I can not de-activate or remove MCE. I also installed the Haupagge WINTv software (to use instead of MCE).

If I were the only person having this Buffer Overflow problem, I'd be more willing to accept it as something on my machine. But, clearly, this is a more general problem, and not just related to IE7. It is being discussed on a number of fora. It also appears to have occured with earlier versions of the Roxio products (e.g. it is mentioned in a review of Easy CD Creator 5 on a review on Amazon.co.uk). Finally, buffer overflows are a common thing for hackers to exploit, raising security concerns. When a compnay if given evidence of a consistent problem, they should be looking into finding the coding error and fixing it. Sorry for the rant but I am sick of having to 'fix' my computer.

It sounds like your broke your computer BEFORE you installed the Roxio software. My guess is you should contact HP to see what is up with the HP software giving errors. They may be able to give you a fix or you may have to do the old format C:/

It sounds like your broke your computer BEFORE you installed the Roxio software. My guess is you should contact HP to see what is up with the HP software giving errors. They may be able to give you a fix or you may have to do the old format C:/

If I were alone in having this problem then I would tend to agree with you. But, given the number of people who are reporting the Buffer Overrun error issue, it seems unlikely that we all have 'broken' computers. More likely, there is a problem with the Roxio software. Clearly there are installation problems with this package: look at the DivX 'fix' in this forum and the problems with misnamed registry entries. I'm not going to pull apart my computer to find a problem which likely is not mine. And I am certainly not re-formating my drive C; (which would take my over a week of solid work to re-install and re-configure the software currently on that drive).

The problem I was reporting with DigitalMedia have been cleared by removing the software from my system. Can't see how they could explain the on-going problems which, as I have said, are a problem reported by quite a few people.

EDIT: I have test most of the other features of this package. The ONLY one which won't work is Media Manager. I haven't done a re-boot with RoxWatchTray installed to see if that makes the situation worse (I diasabled it per the suggestions earlier in this thread).

Edited by nickb

add me to the list having the same problem. Had media 5 installed ran with no problems. Installed 9 and I get the buffer overrun errors. I bought the software at a local retailer - did not download it I have a dell inspiron 8500, IE 6.029, ms xp pro. Can someone give us an indication that this problem is known and we will get a fix.

add me to the list having the same problem. Had media 5 installed ran with no problems. Installed 9 and I get the buffer overrun errors. I bought the software at a local retailer - did not download it I have a dell inspiron 8500, IE 6.029, ms xp pro. Can someone give us an indication that this problem is known and we will get a fix.

If you are able to run version 5, then that means you don't have SP2 installed. EMC 9 requires SP2 to run properly.

:) I am having the same problem. Brand new hardware, but crashes persist. Some individual programs work, but major components do not (photosuite, cenemagic, etc.). I dont buy that it has aanything to do with IE. i installed it with IE6 and it didnt work. I upgraded to IE 7 and it didnt work. This seems to be fairly consistant with EMC any version. Was any Beta testing done?

:) I am having the same problem. Brand new hardware, but crashes persist. Some individual programs work, but major components do not (photosuite, cenemagic, etc.). I dont buy that it has aanything to do with IE. i installed it with IE6 and it didnt work. I upgraded to IE 7 and it didnt work. This seems to be fairly consistant with EMC any version. Was any Beta testing done?

Even if the problem has nothing to do with IE7, you will have problems with IE7 installed.

Has anyone had Roxio reply to this problem?I also bought and installed Creator 9 on my HP MCE.

I cannot get the program to work. Have the same runtime error 6025. Would appreciate some help on how to fix this problem or get a refund and get on to something else that works and is less time consuming as installing and removing this program. Thanks!

Has anyone had Roxio reply to this problem?I also bought and installed Creator 9 on my HP MCE.

I cannot get the program to work. Have the same runtime error 6025. Would appreciate some help on how to fix this problem or get a refund and get on to something else that works and is less time consuming as installing and removing this program. Thanks!

Since we don't work for Roxio, you will have to contact them, directly. I do see a trend with the program not working on HP MCE machines, even if IE 7, which is a BETA program, is not installed.

I would suggest contacting HP to see why their MCE computers aren't working with EMC 9.

Thank you for your advise. I shall try Roxio and HP. New to all this.

Since we don't work for Roxio, you will have to contact them, directly. I do see a trend with the program not working on HP MCE machines, even if IE 7, which is a BETA program, is not installed.

I would suggest contacting HP to see why their MCE computers aren't working with EMC 9.

Thank you for your advise. I shall try Roxio and HP. New to all this.

I was hoping some other folks with the HP MCE, who are running EMC 9 successfully, would drop in and offer a solution to get you up and running.

This is the problem I've been having. I don't have IE 7 installed, and Windows and all other drivers are completely up to date. I can get the program to work properly (or at least I don't get the error message) under my wife's user profile and one that I created just to test working with this program. The error message occurs only under my own user profile. All of the user profiles on my computer have Admin privileges. It seems that the program is corrupting the user profile to which it is downloaded/installed.

I am having the same problem... I do not have IE 7 installed (never did) and I am up to date with my Windows updates. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Seems like this is a pretty common problem.

I am having the same problem... I do not have IE 7 installed (never did) and I am up to date with my Windows updates. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Seems like this is a pretty common problem.

I got a reply from Roxio to the ticket I created on their help system which asked me to call technical support. After taking my info, the person who answered the phone immediately told me that he would send me a link to a patch to apply to my copy of EMC9. I applied that this morning, re-booted and seem to be able to use the product without an Overrun error. It's early days but it seems like the problem may have been fixed. Don't know why this patch isn't being made avaialble more widely (unless they are in the process of adding it to the support section of thier web site). FYI.

Patches like that are often 'beta' or at least specific to a particular system. Until they can produce one that can be used by all systems, it will not be posted.

Give them time to make sure there are no unintended results in it.

RVdave,

Thanks for posting a follow up to your situation. It really makes the discussion more helpfull to people that are just looking for some troubleshooting tips.

I have 7.5 and everytime I try to load DVD builder I get "has encountered and error" The instruction at "0x6010219d" referenced memory at "0x00000016".

I cannot burn DVD at all, I can't even get DVD builder to load without crashing. What can I do. I already tried reinstalling.

I have 7.5 and everytime I try to load DVD builder I get "has encountered and error" The instruction at "0x6010219d" referenced memory at "0x00000016".

I cannot burn DVD at all, I can't even get DVD builder to load without crashing. What can I do. I already tried reinstalling.

Your program is a totally different program. Start a new thread in the 7.5 forums, and list your computer specs, similar to the way I have them in my signature.

This is the problem I've been having. I don't have IE 7 installed, and Windows and all other drivers are completely up to date. I can get the program to work properly (or at least I don't get the error message) under my wife's user profile and one that I created just to test working with this program. The error message occurs only under my own user profile. All of the user profiles on my computer have Admin privileges. It seems that the program is corrupting the user profile to which it is downloaded/installed.

I might as well add my voice to this. My windows is completely updated, Drivers are completely updated, running with SP2, Windows XP Prof. Begain with a clean install (removed any traces of prior roxio/sonic products as suggested in other threads, Used registry cleaner and rebooted) before installing EMC9 which was purchased at retail (full boxed version). Installation went smoothly. BUT... when I run the program components (e.g. MyDVD) I get all the same buffer overrun statements as Sgtrich reported in post #15 of this thread. Eventually I get the Visual C++ runtime error and complete program shutdown.

However, if I launch EMC9 using exactly the same procedure MyDVD runs without any apparent flaws. So I have a workaround, but it still suggests that something is very wrong.

Any thoughts???

I just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in since it seems that people here running HP machines may be feeling like their machines are getting the blame for this problem.

I have a sony viao FE550 (purchased new in April 06), w/ IE6 - no IE7 ever & I too am having this same problem at all times no matter what I do. I seriously doubt its the machines here. It would be VERY nice and what is owed the customers if Roxio offered support for this issue, or at the very least offered to have those with issues 'roll-back' to the earlier version that works. I shelled out $100 for software that I can't get to work & I don't have the luxury that some others here seem to have which is just waiting for a patch and in the meantime using the earlier version. I WISH I could exchange this for an earlier version that actually would run!!

I just downloaded and tried installing Easy Media Creator 9 Suite on my desktop and laptop, and have the same problem on both. When pushing the Roxio Home desktop icon to start the program, I get a MS error message saying "Roxio Creator has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." I then have the opportunity to Send MS the error report, which I did. Both machines are running XP SP2 and I've download this program 3 times and have uninstalled/re-installed it at least 5 times without any success. Is this a Windows compatibility problem, or a Creator 9 problem? I just ordered a backup CD, hoping I'll have more success with the CD than I'm having with the download. I've followed similar threads on this forum and have purged the registry of all Sonic and Roxio entries, so I "think" I'm doing as clean an install as possible. Thanks for any help you can provide. - Dave

Just installed EMC9 on my old Dell Laptop with IE7 Beta2 and had no problem with error messages or activation. This machine is hardly clean since it has been in use for several years. I am using a store bought CD of EMC9.

However, I get this exact message on my new Dell XPS700. It has IE7 RC1 and MCE XP with latest updates. It is a realtively clean machine since it is less than two weeks old. So far, I have not been able to get EMC9 to start on this machine. Get the error message you describe. Will try rolling IE 7 back but experience on my laptop makes me skeptical of this being the only problem with EMC9. I will report back when I try this.

So far, I am very disappointed with EMC9. It seems very slow on my laptop. Looking into why this is the case but I do have very large music and photo libraries and I think the Watch function is the reason.

I had been using old versions of Easy Creator 5 and 6 on my laptop and old desktop and these worked great.

Also disappointed with Roxio support as I am still waiting for a reply to my email trouble report.

Roger

Just installed EMC9 on my old Dell Laptop with IE7 Beta2 and had no problem with error messages or activation. This machine is hardly clean since it has been in use for several years. I am using a store bought CD of EMC9.

However, I get this exact message on my new Dell XPS700. It has IE7 RC1 and MCE XP with latest updates. It is a realtively clean machine since it is less than two weeks old. So far, I have not been able to get EMC9 to start on this machine. Get the error message you describe. Will try rolling IE 7 back but experience on my laptop makes me skeptical of this being the only problem with EMC9. I will report back when I try this.

So far, I am very disappointed with EMC9. It seems very slow on my laptop. Looking into why this is the case but I do have very large music and photo libraries and I think the Watch function is the reason.

I had been using old versions of Easy Creator 5 and 6 on my laptop and old desktop and these worked great.

Also disappointed with Roxio support as I am still waiting for a reply to my email trouble report.

Roger

Turn off RoxWatch via msconfig. Do a little research of the posts in these forums, and you will find out you need to remove IE7.

HappyBob and BsAs Wolverine,

If yuo're getting the error without IE 7 or Vista installed, then go to the EMC 9 suport contact page here and call Roxio.

HappyBob and BsAs Wolverine,

If yuo're getting the error without IE 7 or Vista installed, then go to the EMC 9 suport contact page here and call Roxio.

First my apologies.... When I wrote the following:

I might as well add my voice to this. My windows is completely updated, Drivers are completely updated, running with SP2, Windows XP Prof. Begain with a clean install (removed any traces of prior roxio/sonic products as suggested in other threads, Used registry cleaner and rebooted) before installing EMC9 which was purchased at retail (full boxed version). Installation went smoothly. BUT... when I run the program components (e.g. MyDVD) I get all the same buffer overrun statements as Sgtrich reported in post #15 of this thread. Eventually I get the Visual C++ runtime error and complete program shutdown.

However, if I launch EMC9 using exactly the same procedure MyDVD runs without any apparent flaws. So I have a workaround, but it still suggests that something is very wrong.

Any thoughts???

I forgot to add the most important point, specifically that If I launch EMC9 from under any other profile except the profile that installed it..... then it works without any apparent flaws. I am at a loss to explain why my wife can use the software, my son can use the software, but when I log on with my profile it won't run without fatal errors.

I will enter this to the roxio support page, but based on other tries with Roxio Support, it seems like the best help comes from other users. That's why I'm posting here.

So why won't the software work with my profile?

Thanks