• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 20 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
RVdave

Microsoft error message

Question

I just downloaded and tried installing Easy Media Creator 9 Suite on my desktop and laptop, and have the same problem on both. When pushing the Roxio Home desktop icon to start the program, I get a MS error message saying "Roxio Creator has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." I then have the opportunity to Send MS the error report, which I did. Both machines are running XP SP2 and I've download this program 3 times and have uninstalled/re-installed it at least 5 times without any success. Is this a Windows compatibility problem, or a Creator 9 problem? I just ordered a backup CD, hoping I'll have more success with the CD than I'm having with the download. I've followed similar threads on this forum and have purged the registry of all Sonic and Roxio entries, so I "think" I'm doing as clean an install as possible. Thanks for any help you can provide. - Dave

First my apologies.... When I wrote the following:

I might as well add my voice to this. My windows is completely updated, Drivers are completely updated, running with SP2, Windows XP Prof. Begain with a clean install (removed any traces of prior roxio/sonic products as suggested in other threads, Used registry cleaner and rebooted) before installing EMC9 which was purchased at retail (full boxed version). Installation went smoothly. BUT... when I run the program components (e.g. MyDVD) I get all the same buffer overrun statements as Sgtrich reported in post #15 of this thread. Eventually I get the Visual C++ runtime error and complete program shutdown.

However, if I launch EMC9 using exactly the same procedure MyDVD runs without any apparent flaws. So I have a workaround, but it still suggests that something is very wrong.

Any thoughts???

I forgot to add the most important point, specifically that If I launch EMC9 from under any other profile except the profile that installed it..... then it works without any apparent flaws. I am at a loss to explain why my wife can use the software, my son can use the software, but when I log on with my profile it won't run without fatal errors.

I will enter this to the roxio support page, but based on other tries with Roxio Support, it seems like the best help comes from other users. That's why I'm posting here.

So why won't the software work with my profile?

Thanks

Don't know the why, but it has been posted that they are working on a fix for it . In the meantime, if you call the number at the link I posted, they should be able to help you get it resolved.

I had the same issues on my system after installing EMC 9 from EMC 8. I do not load the Media Manager or Back Up so I could not try disabling Roxwatch in the msconfig startup. I did have the latest version of IE 7 on my system and found that when I uninstalled IE 7 everything worked fine. I will try to reinstall IE 7 and see if it changes anything now that I have EMC 9 registered and working finally. My system is a self-built computer with the latest technology running Windows XP Pro SP2 and all available updates. I enjoy the use of IE 7 and hopefully Roxio will get this problem fixed quickly or I might have to look elsewhere for my burning/media software. I will post again after I install IE 7 again to let you know it worked or did not work for me.

Okay, this worked for me not sure if it will work for everyone else. I loaded EMC 9 and the content pack minus the back up and Media Manager. I do not use either of these programs from Roxio. It gave me an error message when I tried to start Roxio from the Roxio Home Icon. I uninstalled my IE 7 and clicked the Roxio Home Icon again and it went into registering my Roxio and started to work like a champ. I decided to try a reinstall of my IE 7 and rebooted my computer. I started IE 7 and surfed for a while then went back and clicked on the Roxio Home Icon and by the grace of the computer GODS and all that is HOLY it worked like a champ. I burned a few disks and it seems to truck on through it. Not sure why but it appears IE 7 kept the EMC 9 registration screen from showing up causing a problem with the program. If you revert to IE 6, let EMC 9 go through the registration screen, then reload IE 7 it should owrk like it did for me. I will provide further updates if something goes wrong.

Edited by Dionysus

Don't know the why, but it has been posted that they are working on a fix for it . In the meantime, if you call the number at the link I posted, they should be able to help you get it resolved.

Thanks Larry, I got phone support, who recognized the problem associated with installation profiles and the buffer overrun. Sent me a hotfix patch and now all is well. They said that they will be fixing this in a subsequent release. Thanks again

Thanks Larry, I got phone support, who recognized the problem associated with installation profiles and the buffer overrun. Sent me a hotfix patch and now all is well. They said that they will be fixing this in a subsequent release. Thanks again
Good to hear you got it taken care of :) Appreciate you posting back and letting us know.

So does it mean you really are a "HappyBob" now? (sorry, couldn't resist :huh: )

BTW, were you charged for the phone support?

I uninstalled IE7 as you guys said and even doing that didn't fix the buffer over-run that occurs after being on the EMC9 Home area for 2-3 minutes. It only fixed the R6057 error that I had and the buffer over-run I was getting before I even opened the software at all. Now I can open it but get the error a couple minutes into doing anything with it.

Not sure what else to try.

Good to hear you got it taken care of :) Appreciate you posting back and letting us know.

So does it mean you really are a "HappyBob" now? (sorry, couldn't resist :huh: )

BTW, were you charged for the phone support?

No Larry, I was not charged for the phone support, that made me a HappyBob!

Actually, I'm happy most of the time, just a little frustrated around the edges (sometimes).