• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

jimisaac

Nxt Pro Not Recognizing Disc In Drive

Question

Roxio NXT Pro recognizes my burner (LG BH16), but when I insert a blank DVD for burning, the disc isn't seen (burn window indicates drive is empty). I'm running Windows 8 on an HP Envy 700-060 (10GB Ram, i5 Intel CPU). Any fixes? Thanks.

MORE INFO: Discovered that NXT will burn Disk Image and Burn Data to that drive.

Edited by jimisaac

Jim,

I have the same problem on my new HP Pavilion HPE H8-1360. After some problems getting NXT installed, I began testing some of the applications (particularly ones involving Copy Discs, Copy to Image File, Roxio Burner, and burning a DVD project to disc), there were definite problems with these applications. It appears that Roxio often does not recognize that there is a disc in either the source or the target drive. I was able to test these applications on a HP4540 Laptop computer with NXT installed and everything worked normally.

I also discovered that NXT will burn Disk Image and Burn Data to my drive.

I forwarded my observations to Roxio Support, but not sure if that does any good. Hopefully someone out there has a solution (other than swapping out DVD drives).

This reply is to some questions I received in the Topic at:

http://forums.suppor...all-error-1603/

Here is what I can document at the current time.

NXT Burn Data Disc works fine as long as the target disc is blank. I usually use DVD-R discs.

NXT Copy Disc does not work. It will not read the source disc...it just hangs. Again I am using DVD-R discs.

NXT Copy Disc to Image does not work. Same problem as above...will not read source disc.

The NXT Burn MyDVD project to disc function does not work. Please see attached screenshot - it says "Drive is Empty". I can select Image File

and it will burn the project to an ISO file. Then I can use ImgBurn to create a disc.

Also the NXT Desktop Burner does not work...it just prompts to insert a disc. See attached screenshot.

I never mix disc types. If I use a DVD-R source, I use a DVD-R target.

Hope that gives you some useful information.

post-112103-0-38876100-1380167934_thumb.png

post-112103-0-51571300-1380167965_thumb.png

Hi Jeff,

This is an odd one.

So where we're at, if I have it right -

-Roxio Burn [the desktop writer] won't see a source disc.

-Burn Data Disc [bDD] will see only blank discs as destination.

-Copy Disc won't see source discs, for either a disc copy or copy to image.

-MyDVD won't see blank discs to do a burn, though it creates images okay.

Can you confirm those?

Some questions:

[1] What happens when you try to use Burn Data Disc to add data to a disc which already has some data on it but is not closed?

[2] Do any of the other Roxio modules recognize partly-used data discs where they don't see blank ones?

[3] You said ImgBurn will burn an ISO image okay [so your burner works]. Will Burn Disc Image burn an ISO to disc, or does it think the drive is empty?

[4] ImgBurn displays info about the disc in the drive. What does ImgBurn say about the disc when those Roxio programs are claiming the drive is empty? [Does ImgBurn help Roxio to see the disc, or does Roxio prevent ImgBurn from seeing it? Or will ImgBurn see it while Roxio doesn't?]

[5] Can Windows Explorer or other Windows programs see a data or blank disc when NXT is claiming the drive is empty?

Anything else you can give us which will help to narrow this down?

Regards,

Brendon

So where we're at, if I have it right -

-Roxio Burn [the desktop writer] won't see a source disc.

-Burn Data Disc [bDD] will see only blank discs as destination.

-Copy Disc won't see source discs, for either a disc copy or copy to image.

-MyDVD won't see blank discs to do a burn, though it creates images okay.

Can you confirm those?

Anything else you can give us which will help to narrow this down?

Regards,

Brendon

Brendon,

The answer to your first four questions is True; that is exactly what I have observed. As to your other questions I will have to get back to you on that. I am currently out of town and do not have access to the computer. I will do additional testing and report results early next week.

Regards,

Jerry

Well, I finally had some time to do some extensive testing on the problems I am having with Roxio NXT on my HP h8-1360t Desktop computer. This post is primarily in reply to the questions that Brendon raised. I decided to document my testing and results in Word since I ended up with a lot of screenshots. I exported that document to PDF and am including it with this post so those who have nothing better to do (like me) can go through it in detail.

For the rest of you, the summary is:

• Roxio Desktop Burner does not recognize a disc in the drive.
  • The Burn Data Disc will only recognize blank unformatted discs and then hangs when a burn is attempted.
  • Copy Disc and Copy Disc to Image do not work – they do not see the source disc.
  • MyDVD shows ‘Drive is empty’ when Burn to Disc is selected.
  • MyDVD will create an image file if ‘Save disc image file’ is selected.
  • Burn Disc Image seems to work without problems.
  • Discs not recognizable by NXT work fine in other programs such as Power2Go, ImgBurn, and Windows Explorer.

My conclusion is there is some type of conflict between NXT and the CD-ROM device on my HP Desktop which is a: HP DVD-RAM GHA3N SCSI CdRom. But there is no way for me to prove it unless either Roxio or HP engineers want to provide some sophisticated diagnostic tools. I will report my findings to both Roxio and HP and hope for a sympathetic ear.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I’m listening. Thanks.

Roxio NXT Not Recognizing Disc In Drive.pdf

Jerry,

Thanks for your detailed PDF. I am going to have to take some time and work through it on a Windows 7 machine. It's complicated by the fact you're referencing two different installations of NXT, each on a different machine, and also by the fact that you're including UDF formatted discs which complicate the mixture immensely. I didn't realize that you were mixing burning systems until I glanced through your PDF.

Very simply outlined, there are two main ways of writing discs. [1] Authoring, which creates discs in 'sessions' with groups of files, using CDFS, and [2] Packet Writing a.k.a. 'Windows Live File System' which formats discs in a version of UDF and then writes individual files to the free space left after formatting.

The Creator system [after Easy Media Creator 9] uses Authoring rather than Packet-Writing, and this might well be why your Creator modules such as MyDVD, Burn Data Disc, and Roxio Burn, etc., are not recognizing some of your discs. If they're formatted, they can't be used for Authoring.

It's tempting to say "Ah, there. That's your problem." However I don't like jumping to confusions, so I'll work my way through your document and get back to you. Using UDF will certainly be part of the problem, but I'm going to have to try a bunch of things out on a W7 machine [if I have enough install-counts left] before I can be precise.

I have other things happening here, so it might take a day or so.

Regards,

Brendon

Brendon, Yes there is a lot of data in the PDF...please take your time reviewing it. But let me make a couple of points now.

1. I used only blank unformatted discs with MyDVD and Burn Disc Image.

2. What's the point of having Copy Disc and Copy Disc to Image functions if they don't work with formatted discs regardless of what format was used to create them in the first place.

3. Burn Data Disc was tested with a blank unformatted disc and still did not complete the burn successfully.

4. Roxio Desktop Burner does not see any type of disc, even blank unformatted ones.

5. All the functions that do not work on the HP Desktop, DO work on the HP Laptop. Both computers are running Windows 7 Professional. The only difference is the type of DVD-Rom device in each machine.

Thanks again for your interest and help. I did report the problem to Roxio, but have not had a response. I will also report it to HP...just have not had time.

Jerry

Why are you using formatted discs?

Why would you do a Copy Disc or Copy Disc to Image with an unformatted disc?

Because the process formats the disc the way it needs to be formatted. For image files, the images have all the information in the image to make the disc work properly. It is a electronic image of what should be on a disc. Brendon has already talked to you about packet writing vs session writing. It sounds like you may have had early experience with packet writing. Forget all that.

I just had that quick question but I know that Brendon is working with you to do some educating and helping you solve your problems. I will stop posting in this thread so there is no crossed dialogs among the three or more of us. Brendon has some things going on so his excellent replies may be a little slow in arriving. They are worth waiting for.

Because the process formats the disc the way it needs to be formatted.

Sorry...I misunderstood your question. Of course I use unformatted discs for the TARGET, but the problems I was trying to document are that NXT does not see the SOURCE disc no matter how it is formatted. It just hangs saying "Reading disc". Hope that clears it up. Thanks for your input...it helps me make sure I am wording things properly.

Jerry

Update: Just thought I'd let you know that I am doing additional testing of the NXT Burn to Disc and Copy Disc functions. I should have some new documentation soon.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry. These various functions are what I've been referring to as program modules.

Brendon

Hi Jerry,

Once I got into your PDF I saw you distinguishing between your laptop and desktop. I see in post #10 that you say "5. All the functions that do not work on the HP Desktop, DO work on the HP Laptop." I also saw in one of the other topics you're discussing this in, that you had several hiccups getting the software installed onto your desktop. It has been a bit difficult pulling all these threads together, and it was complicated by finding out that you had been using packet-written data discs as well.

I'll try to dispose of the Packet-writing/UDF issue first:

Please re-read my post #9 above.

Formatting a disc in UDF wastes space [120MB out of a 650MB CD] and wears out rewriteable discs much faster than authoring a disc, and so is less reliable, however it does allow you to easily write as little as one file a time to disc through Windows Explorer.

Creator has not used the packet-writing data system since EMC 9. The major disc burning software vendors were dropping or had already dropped packet-writing because of these reasons when Micro$oft inexplicably adopted it as its default disc-writing setting in Windows 7. The standard 'authoring' method is called CDFS.

Because Creator doesn't use packet-writing, it won't write to UDF-formatted discs. This is why Copy Disc, My DVD, and other writing modules ask you to erase a rewriteable formatted disc or else insert a blank.

post-208-0-35466600-1381022985_thumb.jpgpost-208-0-70353200-1381023011_thumb.jpg

Creator's reading is usually done through Windows Explorer, so you aren't likely to have problems reading from a formatted disc, only trying to write to it. Before you can copy a formatted data disc with perhaps only a couple of files on it, you must completely format the destination disc and then copy over the whole source disc, not just the files. Perhaps that's why whole-disc copying for packet-written data discs is rare.

In any event, that's why some discs are either not recognized or not accepted by Creator NXT. Some functions [Copy Disc etc] cannot be done with formatted source discs on the laptop or the desktop.

The Desktop

Once we sift through our symptoms to get away from the packet-writing/CDFS confusion things get a little clearer.

On the desktop you seem to be getting "hangs" during the initial reading of a disc, [Copy Disc . . . , and Roxio Burn show the disc is reading but not going anywhere] MyDVD fails to get the 'ready' signal so thinks the drive is empty.

And also a hang during the writing of the TOC [Table of Contents] after a disc is written. [A faulty TOC makes the disc appear empty.]

Imgburn had only one problem in your tests. In para.2 of your PDF it hung while getting media status, and didn't read the disc. I tried several times, but couldn't duplicate that problem. It read my DVD+RW disc formatted in UDF 2.01 with a couple of small files on it, and then made an image of the whole disc - 4.37 GB. :)

So is this the software or the drive? I'm strongly inclined to suspect your NXT installation but ImgBurn did have that one problem. If it's not just NXT. It could be the drive, Windows, or your desktop's other hardware.

I'm sorry, but I don't think I can get any closer at the moment. If it were me, I'd do a thorough uninstall/reinstall of NXT on the desktop, and if that didn't cure the problems I'd swap out the burner drive.

[Whew! What a saga, it took me all weekend to try everything out.]

Best regards,

Brendon

Brendon,

Thank you for taking the time to thoroughly evaluate my observations regarding NXT disc issues.

I am currently doing more extensive testing of NXT Burn to Disc and Copy Disc functions. I am not done, but I can offer some comments on your observations.

I couldn't figure out how to get the screenshots in the right places in this post so I am just going to attach a Word document that addresses some of the observations you made.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Jerry

Post toTopic Roxio NXT Not Recognizing Disc In Drive_20131006.doc

Thanks Jerry.

If Imgburn is now working properly but NXT [desktop] is not, then the finger points at NXT [desktop]

If NXT [laptop] is working properly, but NXT [desktop] is not, then the finger points at NXT [desktop]

I'll work on the confusions about the various flavors of UDF, but I think we could probably say that the conflict is Windows Live File System [packet writing] vs. authoring, without fracturing the truth too much.

Meantime, it does seem that you need to reinstall NXT on the desktop.

Regards,

Brendon

Brendon,

As I say, I still need to do some additional testing on the Desktop...specifically if any other programs that Read from the DVD drive exhibit any problems. If they do, it would point to the drive as the source of the problem.

I am willing to do another install of NXT, but let me tell you what I have done so far. After I got the install counter reset, I installed once with just Norton Security disabled. I tested NXT and observed all the disc related problems I have reported. I then did an uninstall with Revo and reinstalled with Norton Security disabled and after doing a 'clean boot' in Windows. I still have the same disc related issues in NXT. I even reinstalled NXT on my old Vista computer (it was still available...I gave it to my 98 year old mother). :) NXT worked fine on the Vista computer (also an HP). I uninstalled it from the Vista computer. No sense in confusing mom too much.

I am perfectly willing to reinstall on the new HP Desktop, but I need some suggestions on what steps I should take that would most likely result in a good install...I don't want to run into install count problems again. Also, for the record, I have reported these issues directly to the Support Tech that helped with the Install count issue and have not had any feedback. Any ideas for a new install scenario?

Regards,

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Given the steps you outlined in post #19 I don't think it's likely you could get a better install of NXT, so I don't believe another reinstall would be of any value to you.

I'm down to my last suggestion in post #16, look at swapping out the drive. If you could borrow a drive from another machine or person it wouldn't take long to check.

Even if the current drive works okay with other software it may be clashing with NXT which works okay with other drives. :blink:

Regards,

Brendon

Brendon,

I tend to agree with you. I want to do a few more tests and then I am going to contact HP and report I suspect a bad drive. Since I have only had the PC for less than two months, I am hoping they will offer to swap out the drive. I'll let you know.

Jerry

And the saga continues:

For those of you who have been tracking this topic, this is my latest update.

I finally had a response from Roxio Support (after substantial nagging on my part), and they provided me with instructions for doing another uninstall and reinstall of NXT on the HP Desktop computer (for those keeping score, that is 15 installs).

Here is a summary of the problems with the issues involved in in getting Creator NXT installed on a new HP Pavilion h8-1360t Desktop PC. I transferred NXT from a Windows Vista PC where it was working without problems.

A Roxio Support Case was opened for the problems I experienced trying to install NXT on the new computer. That Case Number is: 01836762 but there is another Case open on the same subject. That is Case 01855517. I don't know which one I should be using...

I had problems trying to install NXT on the new computer. I previously installed NXT and Paintshop 4 on a Windows Vista PC. I retired that PC and bought a new HP Pavilion h8-1360t Desktop. I sent a message to Roxio Support making sure I could transfer the software to the new PC. I was assured I could. Needless to say even though I uninstalled NXT from the old computer I experienced problems installing it on the new Windows 7 PC. I opened a Support Case (01836762) to get some help. The additional problem was that I had tried to install NXT so many times, that I have reached the limit on installs. Finally, after some begging on my part, Roxio support reset my NXT install counter and I was able to install NXT on the HP1360 PC with no apparent installation problems.

However, after doing extensive testing of the NXT applications, I have found several problems. This is a summary of the problems I have found on the HP Pavilion Desktop:

- Roxio Desktop Burner does not start when a disc is inserted in the drive. If it is started manually from the Windows Start Menu, it displays a message to insert a disc even though a disc is in the drive. Complete failure of function.

- The Burn Data Disc function does recognize a blank, unformatted disc in the drive for an initial burn. However, if the disc is left Open for an Append, when the disc is inserted to Append, NXT hangs with the message 'Reading disc, please wait...' The only thing you can do is Close NXT, but when you do that, you cannot restart NXT until you use Task Manager to kill the process, RoxioCentralFx.exe *32. This is an inexcusable error!

- Copy Disc does not work. NXT hangs with the message ‘Reading disc, please wait…’ This is the same as documented above - you can close NXT, but when you do that, you cannot restart NXT until you use Task Manager to kill the process, RoxioCentralFx.exe *32.

- Copy Disc to Image does not work. With any type of DVD disc, it hangs as described above and the Task Manager has to be used to kill the process, RoxioCentralFx.exe *32.

- MyDVD shows 'Drive is empty' when Burn to Disc is selected.

- MyDVD will create an image file if Save disc image file is selected.

- Burn Disc Image does not work. It throws an error message that there was an error writing to the target disc and no data is written.

- Rip Audio CD, Burn Audio CD and Burn MP3 CD worked normally. (Hooray!)

- Discs not recognizable by NXT worked fine in other programs such as Power2Go, ImgBurn, and Windows Explorer.

I was able to test all these applications on a HP4540 Laptop computer with NXT installed and with a few exceptions, all functions worked normally.

One conclusion is there is some type of conflict between NXT and the CD-ROM device on my HP Desktop which is a HP DVD-RAM GHA3N SCSI CD-ROM. But there is no way for me to prove that without some technical assistance from Roxio and/or HP. On the chance I have a bad disc drive, I will ask HP for a replacement drive, but since NXT is the only application that has a problem reading/writing to the drive, I doubt if they will replace the drive. I will try, though.

I have assembled extensive documentation on the problems and testing performed with NXT on the HP Laptop and the HP Desktop. The document is attached to this post.

Roxio NXT Testing.doc

Edited by jolafson

Jerry,

Have you tried a different drive in there yet?

Brendon

Brendon,

As I say, I still need to do some additional testing on the Desktop...specifically if any other programs that Read from the DVD drive exhibit any problems. If they do, it would point to the drive as the source of the problem.

I am willing to do another install of NXT, but let me tell you what I have done so far. After I got the install counter reset, I installed once with just Norton Security disabled. I tested NXT and observed all the disc related problems I have reported. I then did an uninstall with Revo and reinstalled with Norton Security disabled and after doing a 'clean boot' in Windows. I still have the same disc related issues in NXT. I even reinstalled NXT on my old Vista computer (it was still available...I gave it to my 98 year old mother). :) NXT worked fine on the Vista computer (also an HP). I uninstalled it from the Vista computer. No sense in confusing mom too much.

I am perfectly willing to reinstall on the new HP Desktop, but I need some suggestions on what steps I should take that would most likely result in a good install...I don't want to run into install count problems again. Also, for the record, I have reported these issues directly to the Support Tech that helped with the Install count issue and have not had any feedback. Any ideas for a new install scenario?

Regards,

Jerry

Jerry, hope you see this, but let me put my 2 cents in. I have been using NXT in my older Dell Desktop computer with Windows 7, and it worked fine.

I upgraded my computer to another Dell with Windows 8 and NXT, and it did not see any of the drives. Now remember this is the same exact NXT program I used in the older Dell.

I had so much frustration trying to figure out the problem, I finally gave up and returned the Dell while it was returnable. So I go out and get a new ASUS computer, which is suppose to be good computer.

And it is, but again with Windows 8, NXT or I should say MyDVD didn't see the drives. To this day, it's still not seeing the drives. I've come to the conclusion that it's not a problem with hardware on any computer but with Roxio NXT software and Windows 8... I can't imagine how many other people are having this same issue. I bought Nero and everything works as it should. Now Roxio is advertizing NXT2, and I'm not about to purchase another version until this one is patched, fixed or whatever. I did get a response from Roxio saying that they were aware of the problem and that in the meantime, I should burn an image disk first and then burn to disk. Which does work, but this other problem should be resolved. I do know that this NXT seems to work better in Laptops for whatever reason. I just hope someday they figure it out. I know this doesn't help you solve the problem, but don't think it's your drives or blanks, it's NOT... it's definitely a problem with NXT and Windows 8 on Desktops.

Brendon,

Actually no I have not tried another drive. I spent two hours on the phone with HP Support today trying every test we could think of and the drive never failed. It works with every other program I have that reads/writes to the drive. I am not going to spend more money when I have other programs that will perform the functions that NXT will not.

Also, I see there are at least two other Forum Topics that report basically the same problem. They are "Nxt Says No Disk Inserted" and "Disc Not Recognized - Split From Hijacked Thread". This further re-enforces my conclusion that the problem lies with NXT, not the hardware.

I have sent Roxio Support all of my testing documentation, but I have not had a response. Needless to say, I will never buy another Corel/Roxio product again.

Regards,

Jerry

Understood Jerry,

However if you'd managed to borrow another drive for the desktop and it worked, we'd know that the combination of that type of drive and NXT generates a problem. If the temporary drive also had a problem, we'd suspect it's a combination of your system and NXT. Either way it would give the techs a direction to look.

I'd be happy as a sandboy if had this on my bench to explore, but I'm the opposite end of the world from you, and NXT and NXT 2 work properly on all my hardware. Remember, NXT works properly on your laptop, too.

Best wishes,

Brendon