• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

ToddHD

Blu-Ray Burning - No Video On Two Of Three Segments

Question

I have three video files that I dropped into Toast, but only get video for two of them. I am trying to create a Blu-ray disc with 3 menu choices (a film, a production slide show, and a gag reel). The three files (largest less than nine minutes long) are:

First: (video black, only plays audio when burned, original .mp4 file size 1.02 GB, 08:20 duration - the film)

Video: MPEG-4 Video, 1920 x 1080, 23.98 fps

Audio: MPEG-4 Audio, Stereo, 48000 Hz

Second: (video black when burned, original .mov file size 140 MB, 03:25 duration - the production slide show)

Video: H.264, 1920 x 1080, 23,98 fps

Audio: none

Third: (plays audio and video, original .mov file size 273 MB, 1:55 duration - the gag reel)

Video: MPEG-4 Video, 1920 x 1090, 15 fps

Audio: MPEG-4 Audio, Stereo, 44100 Hz

Output summary: 2.55 GB, Blu-ray Video, Video MPEG-2, 26.0 Mbps (26.0 Mbps max), Audio Dolby digital 192 kbps

Biggest difference I see is the 15 fps on the video that plays vs. 23.98 fps. Will play all files (but not the menu) from a burned disc on my Blu-ray burner LG Super Multi Blue BE14 using Roxio Video Player, but on my Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray player I get a menu but only can see the video of the third menu item.

Using Toast Titanium 11.1 on a MacBook Pro 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 memory, Mac OS X 10.7.5.

Custom Toast settings:

Encoding:

Video Format MPEG-2

Average Bit Rate 26.0 Mbps

Maximum Bit Rate 26.0 Mbps

Motion Estimation Best

Reencoding Automatic

Field Dominance Automatic

Aspect Ration Automatic (all should be 16:9)

Audio Format Dolby Digital

Data Rate Automatic

Thanks for any help!

Todd

7 answers to this question

So the problem is the Panasonic player cannot properly read the videos that Toast encoded. I don't know the reason for that. It may be that the bit rate is too high for the player. I'd lower the average to no more than 20 Mbps and bring the maximum down to maybe 22. I'd actually do less than that but you apparently want the highest bit rate possible. You might also try the MPEG-4 AVC codec instead of MPEG-2.

Tried to reduce Mbps and changed to MPEG-4 with the same results. I wonder if the problem is the source material (shot on a RED ONE). Maybe there's a codec problem somewhere in the workflow. I'm in the middle of trying to import the .mp4 file into Final Cut and exporting it to a .mov file to see if that works.

Thanks,

Todd

Edited by ToddHD

It's not a codec problem because you say the video plays from the disc with Roxio Video Player. You also have tried both MPEG 2 and MPEG 4 encoding and a different bit rate. The problem may be that the Panasonic player doesn't like burned Blu-ray video discs or maybe ones burned to that particular brand of media. You might check if a firmware update is available for your Blu-ray player. If you know a friend who has a Blu-ray player you might check how the discs play on that player.

Did you use Toast's "High-Definition DVD" setting and burn to standard DVD media (because it will fit that media) or did you use the Blu-ray Video setting and burn to Blu-ray media? Both methods create a Blu-ray video disc.

Well, importing the video files into Final Cut and reexporting didn't work - same issues. I'm using Memorex BD-R 4x 25GB Single Layer discs. The Panasonic manual says BD-R discs are supported, which is evident because the disc reads, the menu comes up, and one of the menu items plays fine.

I was able to burn a DVD which works. The reason I don't think it's the Blu-ray player is that the gag reel menu choice plays fine. I haven't tried it on another Blu-ray player yet.

Oh well, lots of fancy drink coasters made so far...

Well, importing the video files into Final Cut and reexporting didn't work - same issues. I'm using Memorex BD-R 4x 25GB Single Layer discs. The Panasonic manual says BD-R discs are supported, which is evident because the disc reads, the menu comes up, and one of the menu items plays fine.

I was able to burn a DVD which works. The reason I don't think it's the Blu-ray player is that the gag reel menu choice plays fine. I haven't tried it on another Blu-ray player yet.

Oh well, lots of fancy drink coasters made so far...

Since the combined videos don't require the space of a Blu-ray disc, try Toast's High-Def video setting and burn to regular DVD media. It is still a Blu-ray video even though it isn't on Blu-ray media. That's an easy way to determine if there is a problem with the media. Memorex has a poor reputation for its DVD media but that is usually problems with burning, not playback. As far as I know their Blu-ray media is acceptable. I use Verbatim so I don't have any experience with Memorex discs.

Obviously, I don't know why it isn't working the way it should. I also don't know any way to get Toast to make the disc differently than you've already tried. Sorry that I haven't been of more help.

Edited by tsantee

I've a Macbook Pro Retina (10.8.4) and can't burn Blu-Ray disks because I can't install the extra software needed to burn Blu-Ray.

It's only for 10.6. Heaven knows when they will upgrade it. Probably never. This means that I can't do work in FCP X for Blu-Ray.

This is so exciting.

I've a Macbook Pro Retina (10.8.4) and can't burn Blu-Ray disks because I can't install the extra software needed to burn Blu-Ray.

It's only for 10.6. Heaven knows when they will upgrade it. Probably never. This means that I can't do work in FCP X for Blu-Ray.

This is so exciting.

The Toast 11 Blu-ray plugin installs and works in OS 10.7 and 10.8. I have it on Macs running both.