Flac Or Aiff For Burning Audio Cds?

johnfior

Question

If I have audio files in FLAC format, I realize I can just drag them into Toast 11 and burn an Audio CD, as Toast will convert and burn. The resulting CD will display AIFF files when reinserted in my Mac. I have often done this, but I'm wondering about sound quality.

From a sonic and technical point of view, would the final Audio CD be of better quality if I convert the FLAC files to AIFF before dragging them into Toast to burn, or is there no difference compared to burning an Audio CD straight from FLAC files?

I'd love an official answer from Roxio, rather than trusting my ears/judgment.

2 answers to this question

I'd love an official answer from Roxio, rather than trusting my ears/judgment.

This is not the place for official corporate statements, as this is a user forum. ;)

FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) is a codec which allows digital audio to be losslessly compressed such that file size is reduced without any information being lost. [From Wikipedia]

This means ALL the audio content is identical to what was in the source for the conversion to FLAC.

And that is the same as what will be used, converted from FLAC to PCM, for the Audio CD.

There is no benefit in doing the last conversion manually in preparation, as opposed to letting Toast do it on the fly.

The resulting CD will display AIFF files when reinserted in my Mac.

You said that exactly right. It will “display” AIFF files, rather than that there are actual AIFF files on the CD. But the PCM audio on Audio CDs is so much like AIFF files, that it is an easy (as in: not processor-intensive) interface trick for the Finder to display it that way, and let the user treat tracks as files.