Manual Available?

bgcokeonut

Question

20 answers to this question

No not really...

You posted in a Forum that isn't even the same software you have, hence the move ;)

Also need to know know What Version you have and step my step what you are doing.

Version from Help - About

Did you look at the disc with Windows Explorer to see if any files were on it?

If so, What are they?

Sorry about posting in the wrong area. Thank you for the answers. The guide posted will help me. I am used to using Win movie maker and then Win DVD maker to produce the disc. Now in Win 8, I can use movie maker but there is no Win DVD maker. So that is where I am stuck. I got Roxio on a recommendation, went through the steps of creating the disc with backgrounds, etc. I got stumped at burning the disc. As I said , it went through all the motions but never "printed". I am using Memorex DVD+R. Maybe they are the problem.?. Anyway, thank you again for this help and I will continue on.

Version Win8 Toshiba Satellite brand new just purchased; disc had nothing on it; I open create DVD movie; add a previously created movie from Movie Maker; it imports fine and I can play it back within Roxio system; I even validate that all is OK; When I go to the burn screen I click 'burn disc; On the burn project screen, I choose burn to disc; but the 'burn' button does not light up for me to choose; If I check create folder, the burn to disc unchecks, but the burn button is now available. So I proceed as is and it acts like it is burning but nothing is actually on the disk in the end. Hope that makes sense and is more helpful. (I don't know why it is underlined. I tried to shut it off but it won't go away).)))

Edited by Brendon
underline removed for poster

Version Win8 Toshiba Satellite brand new just purchased; disc had nothing on it; I open create DVD movie; add a previously created movie from Movie Maker; it imports fine and I can play it back within Roxio system; I even validate that all is OK; When I go to the burn screen I click 'burn disc; On the burn project screen, I choose burn to disc; but the 'burn' button does not light up for me to choose; If I check create folder, the burn to disc unchecks, but the burn button is now available. So I proceed as is and it acts like it is burning but nothing is actually on the disk in the end. Hope that makes sense and is more helpful. (I don't know why it is underlined. I tried to shut it off but it won't go away).)))

If you unchecked the Burn to Disc, and checked the Burn To Folder, or Folder Set, it isn't going to burn to the DVD.

Right!

"Burning" to a Folder will create a VIDEO_TS folder set in the default directory of the program.

You Then use Burn Data Disc to burn that Folder Set to a DVD.

YOU STILL HAVE NOT given me your Version of Easy CD & DVD Burning so I am done with this Topic, but wish you the best of luck -_-

Well, pardon me for my misunderstanding. I didn't realize it was the software you needed. I should have but I didn't. If it still helps: version14.0.49.2; 5.0.0.0. The common framework version: 4.0.4580.32870; central framework version: 7.04580.32862. I do appreciate everyone's help and really hope I can get this working. I know you are taking time out to answer questions and I thank you.

Well, pardon me for my misunderstanding. I didn't realize it was the software you needed. I should have but I didn't. If it still helps: version14.0.49.2; 5.0.0.0. The common framework version: 4.0.4580.32870; central framework version: 7.04580.32862. I do appreciate everyone's help and really hope I can get this working. I know you are taking time out to answer questions and I thank you.

Yes it does make a big difference as the version you have is the Fourth Version and the link Brendon provided does not reflect the version you have, nor will the Posting I wrote :o

The principles are the same but your screen will not look like those at all -_- Whereas the link Steve provided will be for your software and any screen cap that you might need I can boot to Win 8 and my Red Box 14 version and post them for you ;)

Question remains at this point (to me anyway) Can You Burn???

I did find the folder and I am able to open it. However, I still do not know whether I can burn a DVD. It still does not work no matter what I do. I even asked Toshiba support whether my actual machine is even capable of burning DVD (I can and have burned music CD.) I don't have an answer to that one. My next thing is maybe to go to Office Depot and get one of their 'experts' to see what they can do. They recommended the Roxio, so I think one of them knows the program. I can only hope. This would have been so much easier if MS would have just left Windows DVD maker where it was.

To clear up whether you have a DVD drive or not.

Just a quick question, which might save you going to Office Depot, can you find Device Manager in your Windows 8, [Go to Settings > PC Info > Device Manager] and click on the blue triangle alongside DVD/CD-ROM drives. That section will expand to show your optical drive make and model, where I've put a red box around mine.

post-208-0-56229000-1377134342_thumb.jpg

Mine is a HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H22N drive, what is yours?

Regards,

Brendon

Toshiba Satellite does mean a whole lot since there are probably 50 version of that laptop. Yes, your computer optical drive will burn DVDs. If you can't do it with the Roxio program, download and try to burn the video folder to a disc using IMGBurn. I think that will work.

Toshiba is notoriously bad in posting updates. You may want to Google search for new firmware for that drive. Follow the instructions carefully.

Hello again,

Thanks for the information. Your TSST CDDVDW SU208 DB is a DVD writer, so that should be okay.

Now, your version of this suite uses MyDVD for burning DVDs. Is that what you've been using?

When you're ready to burn a DVD and have a blank disc in the drive this is what you should be seeing

post-208-0-20849300-1377224324_thumb.jpg

Paths and drive letters will vary, but essentially you should see "Ready to burn" under the drive name, and "Capacity of current disc: 4000.x MB" under that, with the Burn button in black.

The fact your burn button stays greyed for 'Burn to disc' suggests there's a problem with the disc or the drive.

Tell me please, what text shows on your machine [1] in the drive name slot where mine shows my GSA-H22N?

[2] Underneath that, where mine shows 'Ready to burn' and the capacity? Does it show 'Drive is empty' or 'Disc is not blank'?

Regards,

Brendon

My drive says: TSST corp CDDVDW Su - 208 DB It stays at Drive is empty. I tried three different names disks, Memorex, Sony, Verbatim no body works. Capacity of disk shows 0.0mb; project size 1221.2mb MYDVD shows in window with 8.0x I have not been using MYDVD in the past, only with this program. I was using windows DVD maker - no longer available with Windows 8. For such an easy to use program, as I was told, this has become a nightmare. I am so over this program. I really appreciate what you are trying to do to help. I'd hate to think there was something wrong with the drive since this is a brand new (less than 2 mos old) computer. However, nothings perfect. The drive works because I did create a music CD with it. I would think I wouldn't be able to do that if the drive was not working.

My drive says: TSST corp CDDVDW Su - 208 DB It stays at Drive is empty. I tried three different names disks, Memorex, Sony, Verbatim no body works.

<snip>

I'd hate to think there was something wrong with the drive since this is a brand new (less than 2 mos old) computer. However, nothings perfect. The drive works because I did create a music CD with it. I would think I wouldn't be able to do that if the drive was not working.

Thank you very much for that information, it's very helpful.

-The fact your drive info shows in the drive name slot shows that both Windows and the Roxio suite are seeing and talking with your drive.

-However the 'Drive is empty' means your drive is failing to detect the presence of a blank DVD, despite your trying three different types.

I believe this is a drive issue rather than a program issue, since the program is doing all the things you'd expect if the drive was empty.

A DVD drive has two optical systems - one for DVDs and one for CDs - so it is possible for one system to fail while the other keeps working happily. We need to test the drive.

Suggestion:

Make a small project in MyDVD, and in the burn dialog shown in post #17 save as a disc image file [iSO] and then try to burn the ISO to DVD using some other burning software. If it won't burn using the other software then we know the drive is the problem, but if it does burn OK then we know that MyDVD is fine but something's wrong in the Roxio burning engine.

You should choose the software for the test, but if it helps a number of us here use Imgburn for this sort of thing. It's free, safe, small, and doesn't interfere with anything else, and it does a good job burning images to disc. Get it from the official website at http://www.imgburn.com

Would you try this test, please?

Regards,

Brendon

I loaded IMGBURN but could not get it to work, since my computer kept telling me my security won't allow it. I tried several times and gave up. I was however, able to burn a DVD with pictures - not a video - but picture stills on an actual DVD disk. Does that count? Anyway I am about ready to give up. Fortunately I still have my old computer with Vista and I know that works. So my plan right now is to clear everything but the movie/media/music and use it strictly for this purpose. You have been so patient and helpful I thank you once again.

I can't imagine why your computer security won't let you use Imgburn. I haven't heard of that before.

It seems that your DVD player might be functional, but I can't work out anything else without full details. I'm sorry that the problem has forced you into reverting to your Vista computer, but at least that seems like a good workaround.

I'm glad to have been able to help you a little, but sorry I wasn't able to immediately put my finger on the cause and produce a fix for you.

Regards,

Brendon