Will Creator Nxt Read Old Adaptec Directcd?

Lance H

Question

11 answers to this question

I'm considering buying Creator NXT, but I was wondering if it can 'read' and 'write to' CD-R disks created in the old Adaptec DirectCD format? Does anyone know?

NXt will not write to any DirectCD disc. That program is long dead and good riddance.

Whether NXT (or any program) can read any of those discs is questionable.

I just went and checked what software I have running on a Vista machine. It seems to be running Roxio Creator DE (OEM installation on a Dell), and it has allowed me to 'drag-n-drop' files onto CD-R disks created in the old "DirectCD" format. So, I guess your telling me they removed that legacy utility from the new version of Creator.

Thanks.

I just went and checked what software I have running on a Vista machine. It seems to be running Roxio Creator DE (OEM installation on a Dell), and it has allowed me to 'drag-n-drop' files onto CD-R disks created in the old "DirectCD" format. So, I guess your telling me they removed that legacy utility from the new version of Creator.

Thanks.

It was dumped 6 or 7 versions ago

NXT has a "Burn Utility" that will allow you to drag and drop but still keep the cd working. The old program was a packet writing program where a lot of people lot the ability to reopen them.

This is Roxio Burn. Note that it is sold as a stand alone or as part of NXT. It will not read or write to those old discs.

Hey Thanks Guys,

Well, then it must not be Roxio's Creator DE loaded on a Vista machine, that is allowing me to 'drag-n-drop' files onto a CD-R, created with DirectCD on a Windows NT 4.0 machine. I realize this is old stuff, and I need to move on, but it's a "stop gap" that I need to use for a short period of time. Does anyone have any idea what is allowing me to read and write to these DirectCD, CD-R's if it's not Creator DE? Could it be Windows DVD maker? Those are the only 2 utilities that I'm finding on the Vista machine that use the DVD/CD. The XP machine that I would like to perform this task on, can't read or write to CD's currently.

Hi Lance,

The reading of these DirectCD discs is done by your operating system, not NXT. Windws XP is supposed to be able to read them without extra programs or drivers, but like most other things about DirectCD your mileage may vary. That's another reason I recommend you make sure you don't have your only copy of a precious file on a DirectCD disc.

If you're able to drag-n-drop files onto a Direct CD formatted disc, you must have one of the forms of DirectCD running on your Vista machine. If the version number of your Creator DE is 9 or lower, then it's very likely it brought DirectCD with it. What is the Creator DE version number?

Regards,

Brendon

Yes Brendon is right, Roxio dropped the separate program after it became standard issue with the Windows OS starting with Win XP.

Whenever you drop in a Blank Disc you should be seeing these options:

post-39730-0-55979900-1377257639_thumb.jpg

The 1st one is "Drag to Disc" (actually MS licenses its' use from Roxio)

The 2nd one is a Session Writing system, you can Write, Overwrite and even "erase" a file but the file space taken up by the "Overwritten" or "erased" file cannot be recovered... At the price of discs, this is not a big deal anymore -_-

Session Writing is also far more stable than Packet Writing ;)

Of course in the age of thumb drives and SD cards almost no one uses optical media anymore, for storage :huh:

Jim,

The options you describe don't happen in XP, the OS where Lance wants to perform his task.

Lance,

If you can get the XP machine reading and writing CDs, you can either install your Creator DE on that machine, or I can point you to a download of Drag-to-Disc 9 which will happily run in XP.

Regards,

Brendon

Hey thanks alot Brendon, Jim and the rest of you guys,

It's starting to make sense now. I think the Drag-to-Disc utility must be part of Creator DE 9.2 that came with my Dell (Vista) machine, because I was able to take one of those old DirectCD disks that was created on the old Windows NT machine, read from it, and drag files to it on the Dell (Vista) machine, and then take it back to the old Windows NT machine and use it there again. It was seamless and I never had to load any software on the Vista Machine. So Brendon, I will take you up on that offer to point me to a download of Drag-to-Disc 9 to try on the XP machine.

Thanks again,

Lance