Sign in to follow this  
Chris230291

Converting Dvd/bluray To .mkv?

Question

Hello. Can anyone tell me how i can work out the best settings to use when converting a ripped DVD or BluRay to .Mkv?

I want absolutely no quality loss else this is somewhat pointless (copying physical media to my home server for connivence). I also don't want to make the files unnecessarily large, though big files don't bother me if there needed to achieve 100% quality.

If an alternate piece of software is required to achieve what i want, i don't mind. Toast is still useful to me for other things.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris :)

7 answers to this question

Choose MKV as the "Device" when clicking Convert and select High quality. If that's not good enough then Toast isn't what you need.

I already know how to convert to MKV. What i want to know is how to work out which bit rate etc is optimal for any given piece of media. I can make a 25 minute episode from a DVD anywhere from 1GB to 2GB (or more) depending on what bit rate i type in. I want to know how i find the original bit rate so i can match it (lowering the bit rate increases compression which lowers quality and output size). By doing this the output file will only be as large as it needs to be. By the time i've got through the 100's of movies and TV shows we have, using only the amount of space needed will equate to 100's or even 1000's of GB's of saved space on my server.

Can anyone help?

Chris.

Edited by Chris230291

Can anyone help?

Chris.

Probably not. I'm one of only two people who typically respond to posts in this forum and I don't have an answer for you. Maybe you can find tips for settings at videohelp.com.

That is a shame. I'm surprised Roxio don't include a feature for "lossless" conversions where it works everything out for us. Seems like a no brainer.

I know i can download a separate app for the Windows platform that will tell be the bit rate of a DVD, but i'm after a Mac solution.

I believe Apple Intermediate Codec is lossless. That can be selected in the custom setting for the QuickTime Movie preset.

Can anyone tell me how i can work out the best settings to use when converting a ripped DVD or BluRay to .Mkv? I want absolutely no quality loss else this is somewhat pointless (copying physical media to my home server for connivence).

MKV is versatile enough as a container to support just about any codec, including MPEG-2 or H.264 as found on DVDs and BDs. That is, you can shift the content without converting, thus without quality loss. Those files will obviously be very large, likely larger than you want them to be. You'll need other tools than Toast to do so, though.

Converting to H.264 at a lower bitrate will bring the size down to more manageable levels, while still preserving a very good picture.

Toast's export from DVD to MKV will use square pixels for the output, thereby changing the resolution, so that may not be the optimal tool for conversions with your quality goal.

Note than *any* conversion to a lossy codec will lower the quality, regardless of bitrate settings, whether or not the viewer will be able to make a visual distinction.

The bitrate of the source (DVD) doesn't provide a good clue to what bitrate for conversion will produce visually very close results on the output.

There are some rough guidelines for the relation between good quality, bitrate, video codec used, resolution and framerate. But it also depends on film noise (tough to duplicate in the re-encode), fast movement (e.g. action), random movement (e.g. water waves), color scheme (because of chroma subsampling), and other more or less subtle effects used. And what a good bitrate is for some, is unacceptable for others.

I find that there is a more reliable way to get a quality conversion, if output size is not a real issue, by not setting a bitrate, but by using a fixed quantizer value or constant quality, and accepting whatever (variable) bitrate that will require. A tool like HandBrake allows such a setting.