• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Dvd Won't Play On Set-Top Player

barney3856

Question

12 answers to this question

I don't understand "mpeg2-DVD with NTSC DV progressive." Those are two different formats. I'm presuming you used the DVD-video setting in Toast's Video window. Is that correct? If so, Toast should have created a playable video DVD. When you say it works fine on the Mac is it playing with DVD Player or some other way?

When I export the format is mpeg2-DVD and then a preset box is next with either NTSC or pal and different choices for both standard ,widescreen progressive. I didn't change that box. I used the first box in the toast asst. for video DVD for Mac,PC and DVD player, after burning I tried playing it on my Mac through the SuperDrive and it looked fine.

Okay. It sounds like you did everything right. When you clicked the burn button did Toast say it was Encoding or Multiplexing the video. Since it was already in MPEG 2 format it should have said Multiplexing unless the source MPEG 2 was out of spec for a video DVD. When you say it plays from the Superdrive on the Mac I'm presuming the application that is playing it is DVD Player.

The only thing I can suggest is to burn another disc to see if that works. Choose a slow burn speed such as 4X. You might also try a different brand of blank disc because the cheap brands (including Memorex) sometimes don't work well.

It wanted to know if I wanted to burn in NTSC or encode in pal I did both at one time or other. The most recent disc was NTSC it runs on the Mac and I tried it on a dell PC and it played fine. I'm using Verbatim DVD-R . I don't know how the change the burn speed as it didn't ask.

It wanted to know if I wanted to burn in NTSC or encode in pal I did both at one time or other. The most recent disc was NTSC it runs on the Mac and I tried it on a dell PC and it played fine. I'm using Verbatim DVD-R . I don't know how the change the burn speed as it didn't ask.

If you're in the U.S. it must be NTSC to play on a regular DVD player. A computer can play NTSC and PAL. The Verbatim disc should be fine. In order to change the burn speed choose Recorder Settings in Toast's Recorder menu. Select a burn speed after the blank disc is inserted and recognized.

I have no explanation about why the Dell won't play it. This shouldn't have been any problem so it's hard for me to suggest how to fix it.

Ok I have burned in NTSC and it won't play. The last thing I tried was to burn a disc of some clips I have in iMovie folder from a Sony camcorder I made the beginning of August. They play on the dell PC and the Mac I'm working with but not on the DVD player I also tried my neighbors DVD player and nothing. I'm ready to ask for a refund and I only had the software 5days

Ok I have burned in NTSC and it won't play. The last thing I tried was to burn a disc of some clips I have in iMovie folder from a Sony camcorder I made the beginning of August. They play on the dell PC and the Mac I'm working with but not on the DVD player I also tried my neighbors DVD player and nothing. I'm ready to ask for a refund and I only had the software 5days

Asking for a refund makes sense at this point. I can't explain why this is happening. It certainly is an unusual case. Are you using Toast 11.1 (1072)?

When you insert the disc in your Mac and open the volume that appears in the Finder you should see two folders. One is a VIDEO_TS folder that contains several files. The other is an empty AUDIO_TS folder. If this is what you're seeing then Toast did what it was supposed to do. I'm sorry that I've been unable to help you resolve this.

tsantee, if this were in Creator, I'd say it sounds like he's creating a data DVD, not a video DVD, with the VIDEO_TS folder as you asked about in your last post. Not sure how easy it is to do that in Toast, but it's not uncommon to have folks write their source video files to DVD in Creator, without mastering a video DVD.

tsantee, if this were in Creator, I'd say it sounds like he's creating a data DVD, not a video DVD, with the VIDEO_TS folder as you asked about in your last post. Not sure how easy it is to do that in Toast, but it's not uncommon to have folks write their source video files to DVD in Creator, without mastering a video DVD.

I, too, am wondering about this.