Toast Crashes After Multiplex

allinthemind

Question

mac 10.8.2- Im trying to create a bluray with an H.264 bluray m4v. after it completes multiplexing process toast crashes. It happens everytime no matter what file I use. This morning I was burning blurays successfully then it just stopped working. I went back and tried to rebounce the same files that we're successful this morning but they now crash as well. I went ahead and updated to the latest version of toast but still the crash. I tried trashing prefs and removing codecs from the qt folder as reccomended by others on here but t did no good.. I was thinking possibly rolling back to version 11.04 or 11.02 but cant find a link anywhere please help!

17 answers to this question

So the crash happens when Toast is ready to start writing. Have you tried choosing Save as Disc Image to see if Toast will write to the hard drive without crashing? Since it is multiplexing and not encoding the time before the writing begins shouldn't be very long. If it was a lengthy time Toast has a history of losing communication with an optical drive that may have gone to sleep. But that usually results in the eternally spinning ball and not a crash. Have you completely shut down your Mac, waited about 10 seconds and then started it up again? It may be a memory allocation issue that possibly could be reset this way. I'm sorry that I don't know the reason for the problem you're experiencing. It is very uncommon so I'm making some wild guesses at what might fix it.

Edited by tsantee

Okay, so it isn't the writing that's the issue. Toast is crashing at the point it is doing the final stage before writing or when it tries to read what it just created during the multiplexing. It sounds like something is wrong within Toast itself. You say you updated. Are you using Toast 11.1 (1072) or Toast 11.1 (1067)? The latter (1067) is in the download available from Roxio's software updates page while 1072 is an online update that appears when you launch 1067 (and possibly an earlier version). I would rename my existing Toast folder and download and install the on from the software updates page. After launching the newly installed Toast update I'd accept the 1072 online update. That assures a fresh non-corrupted version. You won't need to reinstall the Blu-ray plugin. If the new installation works I'd then trash the old Toast folder.

Something that puzzles me about your description is that you are creating a mp4 Blu-ray disc yet Toast is multiplexing rather than encoding. The only time I've known Toast to multiplex when making a Blu-ray video is when the source video is mpeg-2 format and the result remains mpeg-2. There have been several posts by users who couldn't find any way to create a mp4 video that Toast wouldn't re-encode. So tell me about your source videos. You say you've tried several. Are they from different sources? What are there specs? I'm at a loss to explain why Toast is crashing and the fact it is multiplexing instead of encoding is a remaining mystery to me.

I'm so frustrated with this program.. This morning I decided to go ahead and completely uninstall toast titanium 11 from my system and try a reinstall. I installed 11.1 1067 form the software updates page. When I opened toast I got an error saying that the Blu Ray plugin was not installed. Where do I find this download? The only thing I've found on Roxio's site is a link to buy it again.

My source is 5k r3d edited in premiere converted via adobe media encoder to 1080 with the h.264 blu ray preset. I tried the mpeg 2 bluray preset as well but that did the same thing, multiplex then crash.. the h.264 .m4v bluray preset worked yesterday morning. I was able to burn 3 blurays then on the 4th one toast stopped working. so weird

its empty.. Do you think the total uninstall reinstall could work? Do you know where I can download the bluray plugin without having to buy it again? or a full version of toast titanium 11?

I believe the Blu-ray plugin isn't actually a plug-in. I think it is an invisible registration file similar to Toast's registration file that unlocks the Blu-ray video features when Toast launches. All the Blu-ray features are within the Toast application package itself except for the menu styles which are in a Library>Application Support folder. Did you try using a different menu style? Maybe that is what is corrupted.

If you do a complete uninstall and reinstall the Blu-ray registration will still be active so the so-called plugin won't need to be reinstalled. If you install Toast on a different computer you would need to reinstall the plug-in on that machine. Didn't you save the original product installers from when you bought Toast 11?

As for going back to an earlier version of Toast 11 you can copy an earlier version from a backup made of your Applications folder such as a from a Time Machine backup. You also can install from your original purchase download. You can have multiple versions of Toast on your Mac at the same time and each of them will work.

just reinstalled toast titanium eleven and put in my code and this is the error i get on opening every time.. "The Toast 11 HD/BD Plug-in is required to create Blu-ray Video or High Definition on standard DVD discs for more information on the Toast 11 HD/BD Plug-in and high definition projects, click Learn More." If the stupid plugin was imbedded in the software then my serial key would unlock it right? I'm really frustrated! I spent $150 for this program a year ago and it doesnt work at all..Either the download im getting from the site isnt the full version of toast or my serial code is not allowing me full access.. what next?

This probably sounds like a horrible workaround but you might choose Always Re-encode in Toast's custom encoder settings window so that Toast encodes rather than multiplexes. You can try this with a short clip and by choosing Save as Disc Image so you don't have to wait long for the outcome. I'm sorry for all the suffering you've had with this.