Roxio Retrieve

mseabhayes

Question

About 10 years ago when we were leaving Africa to return to the States I saved all our files on CDs with Roxio. It took 4 disks and now when I go to retrieve them with Roxio Retrieve the JPEGs cannot open in Windows and the Word and Excel documents open as blank Word and Excel documents. Is there anything I can do?

2 answers to this question

About 10 years ago when we were leaving Africa to return to the States I saved all our files on CDs with Roxio. It took 4 disks and now when I go to retrieve them with Roxio Retrieve the JPEGs cannot open in Windows and the Word and Excel documents open as blank Word and Excel documents. Is there anything I can do?

The discs may have degraded from storage. First lets see if a good photo recovery program will help with the photos and see if there is anything there. Download the free Androit PhotoRecovery software. I have used it and was able to recover all but a couple of photos from a damaged memory card. It should work on the cd IF there is anything to recover and it is a standard image format.

If that works, come back and let us know; we can give you some suggestions for the other files.

Before you presume that your archive discs are corrupt it would be a good idea to fill in the background so we know what you're working with, before we tell you to abandon the Roxio software.

What program [name and version number] did you save them to disc with, and how did you do it? Did you use encryption or compression while you were saving them to disc?

What Roxio program suite are you trying to use to restore the files, and what version of Retrieve does it have?

Is it still the same software and machine as when you saved the data? Have you changed Operating System or computer in that 10-year interval? If you have changed your operating system, what OS did you have when saving, and what OS do you have now?

Can you see your files on the disc(s) when you open them with Windows Explorer, and can you read and/or copy them without disc read errors?

Regards,

Brendon