• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Toast Imports Incorrect Titles, Cd-Text

jonoaustin

Question

Hi - new to the forum.

I received Bin/Que files, a PMCD, and a reference CD of masters done at a mastering house. When I insert the ref CD into my Mac, an incorrect title for the CD shows on my desktop. The title is from another band, from some other place - wrong data completely. If I open iTunes, it displays the same, incorrect titles. If I drag the reference into Toast, all the titles (album, artist, songs (CD-TEXT)) are incorrect. The same thing happens if I drag the PMCD and BIN files into Toast.

If I put the reference CD into the player in my car, all titles are correct. If I put the reference CD into a Windows machine into a non-itunes player, correct titles appear. If I fire up iTunes on the Windows machine, incorrect titles again.

I've seen iTunes make mistakes in identifying artists/albums/songs if iTunes doesn't know what they are (unregistered). That makes sense to me. But what doesn't make sense is that Toast picks up the same incorrect data, rather than reading directly off of the disk....!?

Has anyone seen this before? Toast is new to me - so it may be that I have some bad config setting somewhere?

Thanks,

Jon

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

Toast writes CD Text to the audio CD. Macs and most computers do not read CD Text. Your car cd players does read CD Text.

In order to have the correct album/artist/track information appear on the Mac that information must be entered into the Mac's cdinfo database file in one of the libraries. That's where the Mac OS is getting the information you're seeing. How it got there is from the Gracenote online database the first time the audio CD was inserted in your Mac. When you inserted the audio CD the first time the OS searched Gracenote for a listing with the same number of tracks, track lengths and total length as your CD. There was a match so that is the information downloaded and written to your Mac's cdinfo file. You can manually enter and change that info by entering new information in iTunes.

To keep the same thing from happening when the audio cd is first inserted in a different computer, you need to upload your correct artist/album/track info for that cd to Gracenote. Toast and iTunes can do that for you.

Thanks very much. I understand....what confuses me is why Toast shows artist, album, and song titles the same way. It should just read them directly from disk...just as it does the ISRC codes, UPC code, etc. No? If one is trying to copy a disk, shouldn't Toast maintain the integrity of the source?

Thanks very much. I understand....what confuses me is why Toast shows artist, album, and song titles the same way. It should just read them directly from disk...just as it does the ISRC codes, UPC code, etc. No? If one is trying to copy a disk, shouldn't Toast maintain the integrity of the source?

Yes, that confuses me too. Toast does read the CD Text. You can see that by choosing Disc Info from the Toast Recorder menu when the CD is inserted. I'd expect it to default to the CD Text rather than the cdinfo information. When I "save as disc image" the resulting .sd2f file does show the CD Text info when added to Toast to make a disc copy.