Menu's Don't Work

RussP

Question

I recently purchased and downloaded Toast 11 and assuming it included the most recent update (when I click "About Toast Titanium" it shows as version 11.1). I'm using a Sony HD handycam to shoot home video (in AVCHD format), and successfully burning HD DVD's, however I cannot get any of the menus to show up. When I insert the DVD into a Blu-ray player, the movie starts playing (excellent quality), but the menu doesn't show up, and doesn't work even when I select menu from the DVD player remote. This means I cannot choose which clip to watch, instead I have to fast forward from the beginning until I get to the clip I'd like to watch.

I've already tried trashing the plist and prefs...not sure what else to do. Any suggestions??

6 answers to this question

I'm not sure why this is happening. I don't recall it coming up as an issue before. Maybe it is an incompatibility with the player. I'll check if this happens with my Mac and player. Did you have the box unchecked next to "auto-play disc on insert"? What brand of DVD media did you use?

I tried un-checking the box for auto-play, but then the DVD wouldn't even play....it would just stay on the welcome screen of the blu-ray player. I'm using Verbatim DVD+R. The DVD's play great, with very high quality (I purchased the HD plug-in), just no menus. I've played the DVDs in a Sony Blu-Ray player, and in a PS3. I've tried several different menus, and even tried switching the Aspect Ratio from the "automatic" setting to the "standard" and "widescreen" setting, and still nothing. I purchased Toast 11 online, and downloaded it (backup disc is in the mail), I wonder if that might have caused a problem??

You can see if Toast created the menu by inserting the disc in your Mac and opening Roxio Video Player from the Toast Extras menu. In the playback bar there is a small icon at the lower right that pops up for selecting different titles on the disc. The last one in the list is the menu. It is inactive but at least you can see if it is there. My guess is there is something wrong between how Toast is writing the menu instructions and what the player is needing to see. I haven't made one of those discs and I do have a Sony Blu-ray player so I'll check what happens for me later today. I'm pretty sure it doesn't make a difference that you installed the download. In fact, I think that is preferable.

I can't seem to find the Roxio Video Player, and nothing called "Toast Extras". After download, a folder appeared in my applications called "Toast 11 Titanium" which included 7 icons (Disc Cover, DiscCatalogMaker, Get Backup, Mac2Tivo, Spin Doctor, TiVo Transfer, and Toast Titanium). When I play the DVD in my mac it plays via Quicktime Player, but still no menu...instead it shows a thumbnail list of clips on the DVD.

Nevermind, found the extras menu you were talking about...when I click on Roxio Video Player, a window opens up for me to select something to play. No matter what I select, nothing plays, including from an SD card from my camcorder, or a DVD in the drive.

I also noticed when I try to open anything in the Roxio Video Player, everything already has a Quicktime icon, could I be dealing with some type of file format disagreement??

Edited by RussP