• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 71 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Briggsy

Is Toast 11 Os X Mavericks Compatible?

Question

Hi I have just re-installed my MacBook ready to upgrade to Mavericks.

I currently have Toast 10 and was about to upgrade to 11 before I install it.

Does anyone know if Toast 11 is Mavericks compatible?

The Roxio web site only states up to OS X 10.7, Mavericks will be 10.9?

There is no email address for Roxio support I can find!

Can anybody help please.

Hi!

I'm just running OS X Mavericks GM and I mentioned some problems running Toast Titanium 11. Especially when I'm adding files to Toast to burn them on a DVD Toast crashes alle the time. Looking for an alternative at the moment.

Hopefully there will be an update soon, but at the actual version Toast isn't useful anymore.

I hope this helps you. Btw OS X Mavericks is great! :-)

• Like 1

I posted a link near the top of the this forum for reporting bugs and issues to Roxio/Corel. It's anyone's guess whether Toast will be updated to fix issues that appear with Mavericks.

• Like 1

WARNING: RANT MODE ENGAGED !

The video conversion feature of Toast Titanium 11 does NOT work on 10.9 or, to my added frustration, 10.8

I was using it on a 10.7 box to convert m2ts files from a PVR into Apple Intermediate Codec files to process down with iMovie or Final Cut Express.

Updated from 10.7 to 10.9 and now the conversion stops short -- I only get about 3 minutes of a 30 minute files.

Same garbage on 10.8

I may have to downgrade a machine back to 10.7 until it is fixed.

ADDITIONAL RANT !

I tried to report this as a bug and was unable to get into the reporting system.

If I go to www.roxio.com/registration and log in, I see my various versions of Toast under Registered Products, but if I go to Tsantee's link, and try to submit a bug, but it errors on me, saying :

Error: We were unable to find a valid Corel.com account with your email. Please try again.

WTF ? I can log in at www.corel.com, but my Registered Product List is empty.

So how do I get my customer info from the Roxio site to the Corel site ?

:angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

Edited by Ygor

Running Mavericks (OSX 10.9) on an iMac with Toast 11 Pro (ver 11.1). When I upgraded to Mavericks last week I seem to have lost the capability to run TIVO Transfer. It just stays in the Active Transfers queue showing "Waiting" with the little circle going round and round. My TIVO Transfer is ver 2.0 and I do not see any updates available for that. Am I going to have to go back to Mountain Lion to get this to work? I regularly download and cut DVDs of shows so I can off-load the TIVO DVR because of limited disk space. I am still able to run Toast 11 Titanium to cut the DVDs but only of stuff I have already downloaded from TIVO using TIVO Transfer under OSX 8.x.

I also upgraded to Maverick and now Toast 11 (1074?) crashes when I try to burn an image file to DVD. It crashes when I import the file immediately. Toast 9 compresses an image file, but then hangs when it goes to writing the "write in" file and just stays there. New burner drive that has worked flawlessly since I bought it about 2 weeks ago.

Any chance Roxio is going to provide an up date?

Finally resolved my problem with TIVO Transfer. After rereading all the posts in this forum it seems there is just too many problems that can be resolved by rebooting everything in the path from the TIVO to the Mac. After starting with the Router (did not solve anything) I tried the PC version of TIVO Transfer and it replied that the TIVO was busy making another transfer. Went to the TIVO and found it had a zombie transfer running with no destination so it could not finish. Rebooted the TIVO and tried the PC - it worked! Retried the Mac and now it works too. Too bad the Mac did not tell me the problem like the PC did. All is fine now from TIVO to Mac to DVD.

I also upgraded to Maverick and now Toast 11 (1074?) crashes when I try to burn an image file to DVD. It crashes when I import the file immediately. Toast 9 compresses an image file, but then hangs when it goes to writing the "write in" file and just stays there. New burner drive that has worked flawlessly since I bought it about 2 weeks ago.

Any chance Roxio is going to provide an up date?

While it seems logical that when Toast stops working after a system upgrade that the problem is with Toast. However, the problem could be that something didn't install correctly with the system update. I'm not having problems with Toast 11.1 on my MacBook Pro running Mavericks and my Mac is the oldest model that Apple supports with Mavericks. The basic trouble-shooting steps are to trash the Toast plist and prefs files in your User>Library>Preferences folder and restart Toast. Toast is notorious for corrupted preferences files. Next, do the Repair Disk Permissions in Disk Utility. Then do either Repair Disk in Disk Utility or - much better - run Alsoft's DiskWarrior. I know DiskWarrior is expensive but it has been a tremendous tool over the years for keeping my Macs in shape. When I've had odd behavior from applications the problems usually were solved by running DiskWarrior.

I can't think of any reason for Toast to crash when adding a .toast disc image file.

There's no way to know if Corel is working on a Toast 11 update. My hope is they are assessing reports from Mavericks users to determine if any critical functions need to be fixed.

One of the things I have noticed and i am not sure where the problem lies is that the video quality of a DVD created from iMove 10 to Toast 11.1 (Mac) is very poor. I am using the iMove HD 1080 Setting (Share/File) and then using the Best encoding on the Toast Titaninum (11.1). it appears that iMove is outputting MP5 instead of MOV and I am not sure if this has anything to do with it. So far I have only looked at one DVD I created and it was soccer footage so I am trying another setting to see if perhaps the fast movement is not helping. Anyone have any recommendations on getting the best quality from the iMovie 10/Toaster combinations. The source material is from and HD camera.

I got TiVo Transfer to resume working by rebooting my TiVo Premiere Elite/XL4 and restarting my router. Don't know if both procedures were required.

Still can't get Toast 11 to convert my TiVo file, continue to get error "Couldn't complete the last command because (ID=-50) Result Code = -50." I have reinstlled Toast after uninstalling all related files numerous times. Have also tried Wondeshare Video Converter Ultimate, Handbrake, RealPlayer Converter, Decode Manager & kmttg programs. Nothing will convert my TiVo file created by TiVo Transfer. MacBook Pro OS X 10.6.8. I am about to migrate to my new MacBook Pro 15-inch OS X Mavericks, but don't expect that to work either. Since Corel support is nonexistent, I would hope that TiVo would build some software to move files to/from their DVRs. Otherwise I find my TiVo functioning severely limited.

WeeJavaDude & jacbec, I'll get back to you on your posts on Monday.

In the meanwhile, WeeJavaDude try "sharing" your movie from iMovie to "File" and then choose SD 480P 854x480 as the size. That may work better for Toast. Also, in Toast's custom encoder settings window there is an option to turn on Half-Pel which improves video conversion with lots of motion. I'm presuming you're making a regular video DVD because you say you are making a DVD.

jacbec, do a test with a different TiVo transferred video. I've had ones that were unusable after transfer due to a problem with the source file.

I've been burning blu rays for months using Toast titanium with the blu ray plugin. I upgraded to Maverick last week. Over the weekend I tried to burn a blu ray and suddenly it stopped after the encoding process. It says couldn't set up the track for writing, and refuses to burn the disc.I tried troubleshooting the problem with no success. I still get the same message after the encode.I've burned about 20 blu rays over the past several months, so I know how to use the program and its settings. I've got to blame it on Toast incompatiblity. I'm hoping for a update from roxio, but I'm not holding my breath. Hope my info helps you.

Just downloaded Blue-ray add on. Will not work. Can't even install. Mac won't let me. Calling Visa. Wayout, Utah. Should have read this forum first. Using Maverick on Mac Pro.

Edited by Wayout

Just downloaded Blue-ray add on. Will not work. Can't even install. Mac won't let me. Calling Visa. Wayout, Utah. Should have read this forum first. Using Maverick on Mac Pro.

If the Mac won't let you install it that probably is due to the Security settings. Open System Preferences and choose the Security & Privacy panel. Click the padlock to unlock the settings. Then choose either Allow apps downloaded from Mac App Store and identified developers or from Anywhere. Then run the Blu-ray installer. You can change the security preferences back afterward if you want.

I, too, recently installed Mavericks (OS 10.9) and for the first time ever Toast has failed me. It stalls out when set to write to copy data onto spanned multiple discs. It appears to go through all the proper steps and even announces it is writing but the amount remains zero percent no matter how long I leave it going. When I abort the disc shows a very long lead in taking up half of the space and a title has been installed. This occurs both before and after trashing the prefs as noted elsewhere as a possible cure. It needs more than that.

After my previous post (posted today 8:34 AM by DeeBee) just above, I discovered that the problem seems to be in the reporting, not the execution. If you leave Toast alone to do its thing, it will appear to not be doing anything until the very end but will have executed your command. At least while I was posting my last message, I had left Toast running. When I looked at Force Quit, it did not report that Toast was not responding. However, I also looked at my activity monitor and noticed that Toast was operating on a very low percentage of usage. I now have completed my 2 disc data copy and have tested the result and all seems to work. However, the progress bar for writing never showed any progress until the end and then showed verification also with no progress, then showed 100% all of a sudden. So, my conclusion is that under Mavericks Toast is operating very slowly and is not reporting properly but seems to be doing what it should be doing. NOTE: this all is happening after having trashed the pref - I do not know what the result would have been without having done that. I hope this sheds some more light on the issue.

After my previous post (posted today 8:34 AM by DeeBee) just above, I discovered that the problem seems to be in the reporting, not the execution. If you leave Toast alone to do its thing, it will appear to not be doing anything until the very end but will have executed your command. At least while I was posting my last message, I had left Toast running. When I looked at Force Quit, it did not report that Toast was not responding. However, I also looked at my activity monitor and noticed that Toast was operating on a very low percentage of usage. I now have completed my 2 disc data copy and have tested the result and all seems to work. However, the progress bar for writing never showed any progress until the end and then showed verification also with no progress, then showed 100% all of a sudden. So, my conclusion is that under Mavericks Toast is operating very slowly and is not reporting properly but seems to be doing what it should be doing. NOTE: this all is happening after having trashed the pref - I do not know what the result would have been without having done that. I hope this sheds some more light on the issue.

Thanks for your report. I haven't tried burning spanned data discs after updating to Mavericks. I'll give it a try to see if the progress display fails to update. So far I'm actually surprised there haven't been more reported issues.

I loaded Mavericks and found that Toast now crashes when I try to burn a disk image. I have Toast 11.1. The program worked fine under the latest version of Mountain Lion. I've also found that QuarkXPress crashes on Mavericks.

I loaded Mavericks and found that Toast now crashes when I try to burn a disk image. I have Toast 11.1. The program worked fine under the latest version of Mountain Lion. I've also found that QuarkXPress crashes on Mavericks.

Another user posted about crashes when adding a disc image but that hasn't happened for me. Tell me more so I can see if I can recreate the issue on my Mac.

New MacBook Pro 15" with Mavericks & Toast Titanium 11 installs and seems to run fine - except TiVo Transfer won't complete a transfer (3 hr 11 min Show) transferred only 7 min 38 sec. BTW, exact same thing happens when I use cTiVo to transfer the same show. TiVo Transfer also stopped working entirely on my old MacBook Pro OS X 10.6.8.

Edited by jacbec

New MacBook Pro 15" with Mavericks & Toast Titanium 11 installs and seems to run fine - except TiVo Transfer won't complete a transfer (3 hr 11 min Show) transferred only 7 min 38 sec. BTW, exact same thing happens when I use cTiVo to transfer the same show. TiVo Transfer also stopped working entirely on my old MacBook Pro OS X 10.6.8.

I just did a 1-hour TiVo Transfer on my MBP with Mavericks. No problem. It may be a break in that specific video. Is it working with other TiVo transfers?

WeeJavaDude & jacbec, I'll get back to you on your posts on Monday.

In the meanwhile, WeeJavaDude try "sharing" your movie from iMovie to "File" and then choose SD 480P 854x480 as the size. That may work better for Toast. Also, in Toast's custom encoder settings window there is an option to turn on Half-Pel which improves video conversion with lots of motion. I'm presuming you're making a regular video DVD because you say you are making a DVD.

jacbec, do a test with a different TiVo transferred video. I've had ones that were unusable after transfer due to a problem with the source file.

I tried doing what was suggested and I found the results not as good. Wondering if something is different between the fact iMovie now outputs mp4 when before it outputted mov. Here is what I observed.

iMovie 10 SD = Watching on my 27" new imac picture was soft full screen but not a lot of artifacts. When watching it encoded through Toast 11.1 saw more artifacts then with the old iMovie. (I had PEL turned on) and motion to best.

iMovie 10 HD - Watching on 27" imac picture quality seemed better than the old version and the SD version. More crip. When encoding found it better than 10SD but not as good as the old iMovie HD output.

IMovie (Last Version) HD - Watching on my 27" seemed software than iMovie 10HD but with fewer artifacts. When encoded on DVD and watched on 60" TV the quality was better than iMovie 10HD and 10SD.

My test was done with the same exact content and burned on the same DVD. From what I can see it appears that Toast is not as good with the new IMovie content as the old. Any thoughts on improving this and would like to see if anyone else has similar experience. this was done with soccer footage.

Just a follow up. I took the same exact content and using iDVD created DVD. I found the colors of the same content to have more contrast and the artifacts don't exist in the iDVD copy. I am sure there are some but the difference is noticeable. I think this would rule out the upgrade of iMovie.

Think cTiVo people gave me a reason for my problem of incomplete TiVo Transfer transfers (and incomplete cTiVo transfers). Turns out that the problem Show at had a glitch or burp when there was a momentary interruption of the audio/video (sound static and pixelation) at 7:38 into the recording. Guess if there is interruption in the TiVo recording, even for a second, I can forget about downloading the Show. cTiVo provided fast and outstanding support and their cTiVo app is great; it both downloads and converts the file format all in one.

Edited by jacbec
  • Like 1

Thanks for your report. I haven't tried burning spanned data discs after updating to Mavericks. I'll give it a try to see if the progress display fails to update. So far I'm actually surprised there haven't been more reported issues.

I did a three-disk spanned Data/Mac & PC on Friday. The first time it ran, it didn't complete. It got stuck 30% into Writing Leadout on the second disk. However, I think it was probably because my Mac went to sleep at that point. When it woke from the sleep, it remained stuck at 30% through Writing Leadout. Clicking on Cancel had no effect. Cmd-Q and Toast>Quit had no effect. However, Dock>Toast>Quit got Toast to exit.

However, when I rebooted to make sure I got a clean run of Toast again, the shutdown hung on the blank screen just after the spinning "I'm tidying up for shutdown" icon went away, with the internal DVD drive still spinning flat out. I had to press-and-hold Power to get the Mac to complete the shutdown.

When I rebooted and disabled SleepWhenIdle, the spanned Data worked just fine.

Isn't there now an ItMayLookLikeTheMacIsIdleButItsNot call that applications can make periodically to stop this sort of thing happening? Doesn't Toast use it?

MaxBook Pro 2.26GHz, OS X 10.9, Toast Titanium Pro 11.1

I am running an iMac with Mavericks and Toast 11. I cannot get TiVo Transfer (v 2.0, the latest available) to even show that I have a TiVo Roamio Plus on my network. The Roamio and all else works just fine. However, when I boot my iMac as a PC running Windows 7, the PC TiVo Desktop Plus transfer app works and I can see the Roamio and download permitted shows. So I know that the Roamio will download to a computer but having to use the PC side of my Mac sucks. Does anyone have any ideas ?