Install Error 1603

jolafson

Question

Forgive my redundancy because I posted this reply in the Topic: Installation Rolls Back With Error 1603 After Following All Of Tips And Instructions, but I am desperate for a solution.

I am having a similar and frustrating experience with trying to install NXT on a new computer. At the risk of being too verbose I will attach a couple of files that document the problem. In a nutshell I installed NXT and Paintshop 4 on a Windows Vista PC. I decided to retire that PC and bought a new HP Pavilion Desktop. I sent a message to Roxio Support making sure I could transfer the software to the new PC. I was assured I could. Needless to say even though I uninstalled NXT from the old computer I could not install it on the new Windows 7 PC. I have opened a Case with Roxio/Corel Support, but so far they have been little help. Of course, now I have tried to install NXT so many times, that I have reached the limit on installs. That is the short version. The files I have attached document the exchange between Roxio and myself and also include the portion of the Roxio_Setup.log file that shows where it quits. If anyone has any suggestions about additional steps I could take to get this resolved, I am listening!

Roxio Case_01836762 Log File Error.txt

Roxio Case_01836762 Problem Summary.txt

19 answers to this question

This is extensive, but it what I suggest...

(If you still have any listing of NXT on your PC in the Start Menu or in the Programs and Features list then)

Download and install the
Uninstaller. Then run it in
Moderate Mode
to remove any traces of Roxio.

Create a New User Account with Administrator Privileges.

Turn OFF any A/V & Firewall.

Reboot and log on to that new account.

Copy your entire disc to a new folder on your HDD.

In that new folder, right click on Setup.exe and select Properties.

Under the Compatibility tab, make sure
nothing
is checked!

Right click Setup.exe and select Open.

Allow it to Check for Updates (this is for Roxio not Windows)

Use the Default Locations!

As I said it is extensive, but it covers several different potential problems
;) Edited by Jim_Hardin

Allow it to Check for Updates (this is for Roxio not Windows)

I would follow Jim's advice except NOT let the software check for updates while installing, that seems to be where it failed after the update.

And delete all Roxio logs before installing again it will make a new clean install log you can post if it fails.

Edited by cdanteek

Thanks to Jim and cdanteek for your advice. However, it is a mute point since I have tried so many install options that I have no more remaining installs for NXT. I have documented this fact to Roxio support and asked them to reset my Install Counter, but to date I have had no response. If I do get them to reset the install counter, I will try your suggestions. Maybe I should just pay the $60 and upgrade to NXT2. Then at least if it failed, I could return it for a refund :)

We will pass it along and get your Install Count reset.

Then do the instruction set I posted but add cd's suggestion and skip that part ;)

Thanks Jim! I also had a message from Brendon that said: "I've asked Rox-Ralf if he would reset your install counter." So I am waiting to hear from him.

In the meantime, I will use Revo to make sure all remnants of NXT are gone.

Update...downloaded Revo and ran it...there were no signs of NXT. I also deleted (actually saved) all Roxio install log files from previous attempts. Just waiting to hear that the counter has been reset.

BTW- Do you have any idea why when I am in normal edit mode in the "Post" editor, I cannot start a new line by hitting the Enter key? I have to toggle edit mode, then toggle back. Am I missing some elementary setting for posting? Just curious.

Jerry

I also deleted (actually saved) all Roxio install log files from previous attempts. Just waiting to hear that the counter has been reset.

Remove them from the default location. When you get reset try a install if it aborts zip the log file and post it, don't just keep trying to install it because it will eat up the next ten installation activations and make the log files a mess to read.

Remove them from the default location. When you get reset try a install if it aborts zip the log file and post it, don't just keep trying to install it because it will eat up the next ten installation activations and make the log files a mess to read.

I saved the log files to another folder. Also, I just got a message from Corel saying they reset my install counter so I am ready to try another install. I will try first under normal conditions. If that does not work, I am going to create a new Admin user account and do a clean reboot of the computer, then try another install. If that doesn't work, I'm sending the log files to Corel.

Jerry

BTW- Do you have any idea why when I am in normal edit mode in the "Post" editor, I cannot start a new line by hitting the Enter key? I have to toggle edit mode, then toggle back. Am I missing some elementary setting for posting? Just curious.

Jerry

Are you ruining IE 10? It is quirky here and you have to shift to the Basic Editor (above the B) for the Enter key to work :wacko:

Then back if you want to use any other features...

Are you ruining IE 10? It is quirky here and you have to shift to the Basic Editor (above the B) for the Enter key to work :wacko:

Then back if you want to use any other features...

Yes, I am using IE 10...it came installed on the PC, otherwise I would not be using it. I did find the trick about shifting to the Basic Editor.

Thanks for feedback.

I finally have some good news to report! Roxio support finally came through and reset my install counter. I was able to successfully install NXT! The only thing I did differently this time was I turned off Norton Security and I opted to NOT install updates during install. I am in the process of testing all the applications and the only thing I have noticed so far is NXT has difficulty recognizing DVD discs in my DVD drive for copying and burning data. It may be my drive...I need to do more testing, but that is a separate issue. I think we are safe to shut this topic down as my original problem has been resolved. Thanks to all for your support and suggestions.

Regards,

Jerry

I turned off Norton Security

That should be done when ever and software is installed or removed!

and I opted to NOT install updates during install.

I've tried to convince Mr Hardin not to advice folks to update during a install, but it falls on deaf ears.

I have another update to this topic which is a little off topic, so if you think I should open another topic, I will. Let me explain my response to Roxio Support after they reset my counter and I was able to reinstall:

Edited version:

A Support Case was opened for the problems I experienced trying to reinstall NXT on a new computer after retiring the original PC I had installed NXT on. That Case Number is: 01836762 and I have been communicating with Antonio on this problem. The additional problem was that I had tried to install NXT so many times, that I had reached the limit on installs. Finally, after some begging on my part Antonio came through and reset my NXT install counter. I was finally able to install NXT on the new PC.

That's where the good news stops. After testing some of the applications (particularly ones involving Copy Discs, Copy to Image File, Roxio Burner, and burning a DVD project to disc), there were definite problems with these applications. It appears that Roxio often does not recognize that there is a disc in either the source or the target drive. I was able to test these applications on a HP4540 Laptop computer with NXT installed and everything worked normally.

I forwarded these comments along some screenshots and the NXT installation log files to Corel Support for the record. That's my story for now.

Should we close this topic and I'll start another concerning the Read/Write problem?

Regards,

Jerry

Yes please Jerry.

Open another topic something like "NXT fails to recognize an empty DVD" or something that covers the problem.

I'm away from home at the moment, but I seem to remember that some time ago one solution for this was to update the BIOS [firmware] of your writer to the latest version, because this sort of problem should have been fixed by your drive maufacturer. However this isn't a process to go into willy-nilly, so if you can hang on another few days either someone else may have a solution or I can get back home and see what I can find.

In the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to burn a project or two to a disc image [iSO], and then try burning the image to disc with NXT. If NXT doesn't find the blank disc, try the fee ImgBurn program to burn the image to disc. If neither of them recognizes the blank disc then it's a drive problem, but if only one of them recognizes the blank disc that points to a software problem.

Regards,

Brendon

Edited by Brendon

Brendon,

Thanks for advice. Actually I found another topic with the exact same problem. It is at:

http://forums.suppor...-disc-in-drive/

I posted my drive problem there. I checked for new drivers for my drive and it says I have the most recent. Don't know about the BIOS...that is kind of scary. I did try burning to an ISO file from MyDVD and that works fine. I am also able to burn the ISO file to a BLANK disc in NXT. I also have ImgBurn and Power2Go which let me burn the ISO file. So it is not like I don't have workarounds, but it bugs me that some of the disc copy functions don't work.

Regards,

Jerry

Brendon,

Thanks for advice. Actually I found another topic with the exact same problem. It is at:

http://forums.suppor...-disc-in-drive/

Thanks for the link, Jerry.

I posted my drive problem there. I checked for new drivers for my drive and it says I have the most recent. Don't know about the BIOS...that is kind of scary. I did try burning to an ISO file from MyDVD and that works fine. I am also able to burn the ISO file to a BLANK disc in NXT.

Yes, I agree with you about flashing drive BIOS. It's a last-ditch thing to have to do because it's dangerous if you slip.

ISO files can only ever be burned to blank discs, since they're a complete-disc-in-a-file. If you haven't been able to get an ISO to burn to a disc with something [however small] already on it, then that's not faulty software - the software won't let you.

Thinking about that, which disc copy functions still won't work?

And remember Cdanteek's question, do any of your failures involve trying to copy a DVD+ disc to a DVD- blank, or vice-versa?

Regards,

Brendon