Photoshop Elements 3 Conflicting With Roxio Easy Media Creator 8

anders@strandholm.dk

Question

Hi.

I installed Roxio Easy Media Creator 8, and upon that I simply can't launch Adobe Photoshop Elements 3 - when splashscreen appears it reaches "checking preferences" and things hang for app. 4-5 minutes, then the error messages appear (yellow triangle w. exclamation mark): The application could not launched (or similar). After this Windows hangs and it is impossible to close it down.

Is Photoshop Elements 3 conflicting with Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 ? - does anybody know how to address and solve this issue - in advance thank you.

Anders Strand-Holm.

15 answers to this question

Hi.

I installed Roxio Easy Media Creator 8, and upon that I simply can't launch Adobe Photoshop Elements 3 - when splashscreen appears it reaches "checking preferences" and things hang for app. 4-5 minutes, then the error messages appear (yellow triangle w. exclamation mark): The application could not launched (or similar). After this Windows hangs and it is impossible to close it down.

Is Photoshop Elements 3 conflicting with Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 ? - does anybody know how to address and solve this issue - in advance thank you.

Anders Strand-Holm.

Upon reading this I installed PS Album and then PSE 4 and it broke my Easy Media Creator 8 when their drivers were installed. It's not a Roxio problem or an Adobe problem, although perhaps we may need to be more aware of each other in future releases.

Much like us, and like most software that burns to CD/DVD, a number of drivers (known as upperfilters and lowerfilters) are installed so that the software may record to CD/DVD.

Getting the mix right between two pieces of software sometimes takes some work, but you may need to uninstall both, reinstalling, reboot, reinstall the other and see what happens. If one is broken, start the process again but this time install in the opposite order.

There should be no conflict. I had PSE3 and recently upgraded to PSE4. Neither one had a conflict on my machine. I would first try an application REPAIR.

Go to the Control Panel

Choose Add/Remove Applications

Select Adobe PSE3 and click on CHANGE/Remove. (PSE4 has this. I assume V3 does too)

In one of the following dialog boxes you have a choice to REPAIR or REMOVE.

Choose REPAIR

If that does not fix the problem, then uninstall and reinstall PSE3.

I had PSE3 installed before EMC8, but still didn't have any problems. I later upgraded to PSE4. I have installed and uninstalled EMC8 so many times I wouldn't guess how many. Not because I've had any problems, but rather trying to duplicate problems like your own. Haven't had a single problem so far.

There should be no conflict. I had PSE3 and recently upgraded to PSE4. Neither one had a conflict on my machine. I would first try an application REPAIR.

Go to the Control Panel

Select Adobe PSE3 and click on CHANGE/Remove. (PSE4 has this. I assume V3 does too)

Choose REPAIR

Go to the Control Panel

Choose REPAIR

Hi ggrussell.

Thanks for your reply and interest in this matter. I did recently, however, uninstall and the reinstall PSE 3 but it did not help at all. Situation unchanged :) ...

BTW - which program did you install first PSE 3 I guess ?

Any other suggestions that could drag me out of this situation ?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Anders

I had PSE3 installed before EMC8, but still didn't have any problems. I later upgraded to PSE4. I have installed and uninstalled EMC8 so many times I wouldn't guess how many. Not because I've had any problems, but rather trying to duplicate problems like your own. Haven't had a single problem so far.

Hi ggrussel.

Thanks - but it does not help much, though...

I'll try to load a new image and install EMC 8 from scratch - perhaps this helps...

Anders

Hi ggrussell,

I need to know: Did you make a default installation of EMC 8 or did you make a custom. In last case, which features did you deselect ? - Direct CD ? - did you run the RxFix upon installation ?

Thanks,

Anders

I have a similar situation to these circumstances and am not sure how to correct them. I had upgraded to emc 8 with ape 4 on my computer. After this I could not disconnect and reconnect my external dvd burner without having my computer lockup and not read any external usb devices. I can still disconnect and reconnect my printer so the problem must definetely be in the drivers for the dvd burner. When I removed ape 4 off my computer i still had the same problem. I then removed emc 8 and had no functionality on either my internal cd buner or my usb external dvd burner. I reinstalled emc 8 but still had the same exact problem. I also have realized that I cannot read sd cards off my built in sd card reader on my computer at all. I figure this must be a driver conflict too. Please someone help my because I am lost on what to do.

My computer is

Dell Inspiron 6000

Pentium M 1.6GHz

1.5 GB RAM

Norton Internet Security

Norton Password Manager

Weatherbug

Scansoft Omnipage

Brittannica Ultimate edition 2006

Musicmatch Player plus

video lan player

This post will be lost if you simply attach it to another. You may have an entirely different problem. :) Pleas create an new post.

I have a similar situation to these circumstances and am not sure how to correct them. I had upgraded to emc 8 with ape 4 on my computer. After this I could not disconnect and reconnect my external dvd burner without having my computer lockup and not read any external usb devices. I can still disconnect and reconnect my printer so the problem must definetely be in the drivers for the dvd burner. When I removed ape 4 off my computer i still had the same problem. I then removed emc 8 and had no functionality on either my internal cd buner or my usb external dvd burner. I reinstalled emc 8 but still had the same exact problem. I also have realized that I cannot read sd cards off my built in sd card reader on my computer at all. I figure this must be a driver conflict too. Please someone help my because I am lost on what to do.

My computer is

Dell Inspiron 6000

Pentium M 1.6GHz

1.5 GB RAM

Norton Internet Security

Norton Password Manager

Weatherbug

Scansoft Omnipage

Brittannica Ultimate edition 2006

Musicmatch Player plus

video lan player

Glad to hear you have it running. I am not entirely sure, but I would guess maybe Drag to Disc since Adobe installs it's own CD burning engine. Unfortunately, Adobe doesn't give you choices for custom install. I didn't run into this problem because I didn't have any of those EMC options installed to start. Since Patrick has reproduced this in house, perhaps a permenant solution will be in a future patch.

Have you looked in the Control Panel, Add/Remove Apps to see if the Danish installed was by itself? You may not be able to change that.

The Cineplayer DVD decoder is just for playback and is used with the CinePlayer which is included in EMC8. I don't think there is an option to uninstall just the Cineplayer.

Hi again.

Well - I couldn't find any entry in Add/Remove Programs, that indicate the InstallShield Update Manager 3.0, so it might be a non-optional thing I guess. I just wonder why it is the only part of the EMC 8 software installation that is in danish - could this part be based on keyboard-layout ? - I find it strange. I would like to ask Roxio Tech Support but sweeping their homepage did not lead me to emal contact page or similar, so I could address them directly. Do you know how to contact these chaps per email ?

Thanks again, ggrussell

Best regards,

Anders

Hi again.

Well - I couldn't find any entry in Add/Remove Programs, that indicate the InstallShield Update Manager 3.0, so it might be a non-optional thing I guess. I just wonder why it is the only part of the EMC 8 software installation that is in danish - could this part be based on keyboard-layout ? - I find it strange. I would like to ask Roxio Tech Support but sweeping their homepage did not lead me to emal contact page or similar, so I could address them directly. Do you know how to contact these chaps per email ?

Thanks again, ggrussell

Best regards,

Anders

You should be able to find contact info here:

http://www.roxio.com/en/company/contactroxio.jhtml

I always do a custom install. I deselect Drag to Disc, Media Manager, Home Connectivity, Disc Image Loader and the Backup. Just don't need or use them or have something else.

Hello ggrussell.

I finally got the chance to load e new Norton Ghost image, and then try your custom install: Deselected Drag to Disc, Media Manager, Digital Home (you refer to Home Connectivity? - must be the same), Disc Image loader and Roxio Backup.

The problem is no longer present - thanks GREAT! - but which of these might have caused the problem.

I have two additional questions:

1. Roxio EMC 8 also installed InstallShield Update Manager 3.0 - but in Danish ? - why - can this be changed ? - I have not one single piece of danish software on my new pc, as it did create problems in the past, everything inclusive the Win. XP Pro OS is in Int. English language. Can I get rid of this or some how choose the english language instead? - The entire EMC 8 installation is english.

2. In Control Panel I have also something called CinePlayer DVD Decoder Options - do I need this or can it be uninstalled ? - your advise would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Best regards,

Anders

Glad to hear you have it running. I am not entirely sure, but I would guess maybe Drag to Disc since Adobe installs it's own CD burning engine. Unfortunately, Adobe doesn't give you choices for custom install. I didn't run into this problem because I didn't have any of those EMC options installed to start. Since Patrick has reproduced this in house, perhaps a permenant solution will be in a future patch.

Have you looked in the Control Panel, Add/Remove Apps to see if the Danish installed was by itself? You may not be able to change that.

The Cineplayer DVD decoder is just for playback and is used with the CinePlayer which is included in EMC8. I don't think there is an option to uninstall just the Cineplayer.

Upon reading this I installed PS Album and then PSE 4 and it broke my Easy Media Creator 8 when their drivers were installed. It's not a Roxio problem or an Adobe problem, although perhaps we may need to be more aware of each other in future releases.

Much like us, and like most software that burns to CD/DVD, a number of drivers (known as upperfilters and lowerfilters) are installed so that the software may record to CD/DVD.

Getting the mix right between two pieces of software sometimes takes some work, but you may need to uninstall both, reinstalling, reboot, reinstall the other and see what happens. If one is broken, start the process again but this time install in the opposite order.

Hi patatrox.

I received several suggestions - amongst these to perform a custom install (ggrussell) leaving out Direct CD, Drag to Disc, Media Manager, Home Connectivity, Disc Image Loader and the Backup... (what might be left?) - I also observed EMC 8 installed, I think the name is InstallShiels Update Manager in Danish?? - all my software incl. Win XP Pro SP 2 is english. Should I understand you this way you suggest me to uninstall both EMC 8 and PSE 3 - then try to install EMC 8 first and then PSE 3 ? This, because I did initially install things in the opposite order ?

Wish I had some concrete guidelines, as this is very time consuming, forth and back and so on....

But thanks!

Anders

Archived