dw-41008

Password Protecting Video Files

Question

Due to the privacy policies at our school, videos with "identifying" information cannot be distributed over the Internet. Rather than creating DVD/Blu-Ray disks containing the videos we have taken/created for distribution to everyone, I am hoping requiring a password before the video can be played will satisfy those with this concern. Does Creator Pro 2012 or any other Roxio product support prompting for a password or key before playing the video? Wrapping the video in a password protected compressed file (e.g. RAR, ZIP) does not meet the requirements because the video can be freely viewed after it is uncompressed. Thank you for sharing your expertise!

4 answers to this question

Roxio Burn is the only product I know which will encrypt disc content, but the recipient is required to run Roxio Burn and after decryption the files are freely viewable and uploadable at will.

Creating DVD/Blu-Ray discs doesn't leave you in any better position - the discs can still be copied or the video ripped from them and uploaded to the Internet.

Anything that can be viewed, can be copied...

Whoever wrote your "rules' has no business in making rules for what they know nothing about -_-

Yeah... pretty hard to do what you want. The closest I can think of is a site that requires a password to get in to view the videos, which are only streamed. But it's pretty hard to come up with a streamed video that couldn't be captured and subsequently passed around. I guess the question becomes, what is "identifying information"?