Issues With 'pause' Function And Delays Between Live Concert Songs

texastoast

Question

Hello all.

Earlier this summer my Macintosh G4 finally died and I upgraded to a iMac.

I was running Toast 6 on my G4 which worked great and purchased Toast 11 for my iMac and it's having issues. When I edit/cut apart a concert with programs like Adobe Audition, Soundboard & Audacity and reassemble them in Toast, set the 'pause' length at 'zero' and burn or playback, there is still a fraction of a second where there's dead space. I did not have this issue with Toast 6. I've even tried to drop previously edited concerts into Toast 11 and still have the same problem. Has anyone had a similar issue Toast 11? I need a program that can burn concerts seamlessly.

3 answers to this question

You are referring to making an audio CD, right? If you click the custom crossfade you should be able to audition how the audio plays from one track to the next. I haven't encountered a pause when setting it at zero. There is a click that happens when playing the preview at the bottom of the Toast window but that doesn't transfer to the audio CD or .sd2f file.

The only thing I can think of that could cause a pause is if the CD was burned Track at Once (TAO) instead of Disc at Once (DAO) but Toast's default is DAO so you would have had to change that in order for it to be the issue.

You shouldn't have to crossfade anything. Setting the pause at zero should work perfectly. You can hear the disruption when you play the track line up before you burn the disc as well. Like I said, no problem with Toast 6. Seems the problem is with Toast 11. I thought newer versions of software are supposed to be superior. Sadly, I can no longer use Toast 6 which worked fine.

I can also say that I'm highly displeased with the lack of customer support Roxio and it's new parent company offer. Paying for a product that doesn't function properly and then them offering $25 one-time support is ridiculous. I've worked call centers and customer service and this is no way to run a business. Especially when it's a software issue not a user issue. Jus' sayin'.

Edited by texastoast

I didn't say you had to crossfade. I said that using the custom crossfade window lets you preview how the tracks will sound after burning them to disc. I'm just referring to auditioning the audio so you can tell if Toast is adding any kind of pause. If there is no pause when previewing in the crossfade window then none should appear in the final CD as long as Disc at Once is used.

Yes, you can hear a click when using the playback controls at the bottom of the main Toast window. It has been that way since Toast melded many of the Roxio Jam features into Toast 8.

When I burn an audio CD with zero-second gaps I get seamless audio playback using Toast 11 on the finished CD. If you aren't, that glitch should also be present when you preview in the custom crossfades window. I have had tracks that include a small bit of silence that I needed to use Track Trim to remove. I'm confident your tracks don't have that problem.

As for Roxio's customer support, there's nothing I can do to help with that.