Sign in to follow this  
lonegulch

Easy Vhs To Dvd For Mac - To Buy Or Not To Buy?

Question

I am reading all the NEGATIVE comments about Roxio Easy VHS to DVD for Mac.

I have NOT purchased Roxio Easy VHS to DVD yet, but would like input. (tsantee)

I have a iMac (mid-2011) with OSX Lion 10.7.5, with imovie '11 but no iDVD.

The system requirements for Easy VHS to DVD state that I need OSX 10.4 or .5 or .6. It also says I need iMovie 08 or 09. Will my OS and iMovie work with the Easy VHS to DVD for Mac?

Would I need to purchase additional software to burn my DVDs after I transfer the VHS tapes to my computer?

I'd appreciate any candid help in deciding my purchase. I know if I phone Roxio (there doesn't seem to be much help offered by them) I will get nothing but positive comments.

Thank you

7 answers to this question

The Easy VHS to DVD for Mac will work with your Mac. The only caveat is you should use the Medium Quality setting because the High Quality setting has audio sync problems. That doesn't mean that medium quality is not high quality. The medium setting is h.264 mpeg 4 instead of Apple Intermediate Codec which is a good thing.

If you want to make a video DVD you need additional software. Roxio's Toast can do this as well as some other DVD-authoring applications. However, you don't really need to make video DVDs any more. Many HDTVs, Blu-ray players and other devices (such as Apple TV) allow you to stream video from your Mac to your TV over your home network. Most all of these support playing h.264 mpeg 4 videos. So rather than spend your money on a DVD authoring application I suggest spending it on a device that supports streaming your video (if you don't already have one).

There are other video-capture devices for the Mac but those cost more than Roxio's device. You have choices.

Thank you tsantee

I have Roku for streaming and wifi via a local "satellite" company -- I live off grid in a town of 280 population-- anyway, I'd love to give my family DVDs of the VHS videos, plus I have others that I want to share. So I do need a way to burn DVDs after I transfer the vhs to my computer. I was looking at Toast. I gather Toast Basic isn't available any more?

I appreciate your well-explained answers. I am not terribly techie.

Thank you tsantee

I have Roku for streaming and wifi via a local "satellite" company -- I live off grid in a town of 280 population-- anyway, I'd love to give my family DVDs of the VHS videos, plus I have others that I want to share. So I do need a way to burn DVDs after I transfer the vhs to my computer. I was looking at Toast. I gather Toast Basic isn't available any more?

I appreciate your well-explained answers. I am not terribly techie.

You have two choices with this: One is to give them data discs of the videos that they can play on their computers (or stream to their TVs if they have that option). The other is to make a video DVD.

If you get on Roxio's email list you'll see they offer some pretty good deals for Toast. Yesterday I got an email offering Toast for $49.99 and Toast Pro for $30 more; either is a good deal. Here's a link to that mailing.

You also can search macupdate.com for other software to author DVDs.

One thing you didn't ask is if you need to use iMovie. You only need iMovie if you want to do creative movie-making. Toast lets you trim segments from videos so it does a fine job if you aren't planning to add titles, audio tracks, still photos, transitions and so on.

I've been reading reviews on the Roxio product which are less than flattering. I use an iMac running Snow Leopard 10.6.8. What can you tell me about a Diamond VC500MAC video devise and ai-dvd creator-intel -full335 software?

Thanks in advance,

Cut

I've been reading reviews on the Roxio product which are less than flattering. I use an iMac running Snow Leopard 10.6.8. What can you tell me about a Diamond VC500MAC video devise and ai-dvd creator-intel -full335 software?

Thanks in advance,

Cut

Never heard of them and we're not supposed to discuss competing products in the Roxio forums unless there is something the Roxio software can't do properly.

Never heard of them and we're not supposed to discuss competing products in the Roxio forums unless there is something the Roxio software can't do properly.

You're kidding! Will the Roxio gods come down out the clouds and smite you? With the numerous negative reviews I've read I think I'll seek advise elsewhere. Bye! :rolleyes:

ps: here are some independent reviews I've found. http://www.amazon.com/Roxio-Easy-VHS-DVD-Version/product-reviews/B001LQO4P4

Edited by Cutnstuf

Not kidding. Do you think you can go to Apple's forums to ask about Samsung phones?