• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 233 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

elwoodblues1969

My Tv Won't Display 720P

Question

Hello,

I have a PS3 & a Sceptre X40 TV(1080p) and via the component cables,my TV will not display anything higher than 480p.

http://www.sceptre.com/Products/LCD_HDTV/Specs/X408BV-FHD/X408BV-FHD%20MainPage.htm

Also...if I use an additional set of component cables for the video output from the Roxio device,I get an audio signal in the left channel,but only a buzzing noise in the right channel.

If I use an HDMI cable as the output from the Roxio,I don't get any audio signal at all.

I just recieved my Roxio this morning & I've spent 7 hours just trying to sort out my hardware issues,so I have not even touched the software end of things,as of yet.

I have tinkered with every conceivable A/V settings within my PS3,but have made zero progress.I understand that Sony does not allow 1080p recording,but I thought I could at least get 720p quality out of the component connections?

Are component cables really this poor in quality,that they only deliver 480p max?If so,then why are there 3 cables devoted solely to just video,but only deliver 480p?

3 video cables,just for 480p?

So then,the Roxio HD Pro is actually only high definition if you own an Xbox?The hardware set up instructions seem so rudimentary(according to the video/manual instructions)..but I have found this type of configuration to be the most complicated and frustrating mess I have ever dealt with.

I actually arrived to a point where I packed everything up & was ready to return it...but then I did some more research on the other game capture devices that are available and it seems,that as long as I am using a PS3,I will run into the same problem.

I am growing really desperate & I am profoundly sorry that I chose to buy a PS3...any suggestions?Any possible workarounds?

Please help!

Edited by elwoodblues1969

14 answers to this question

Take a breath!

Component Cables only deliver What is Sent!!!

The RGC Software will only capture at What it Receives!

You starting to see the source of the problems???

You must Set your PS3 to a specific output, NEVER let it chose on its' own...

Even then, if you shove in a 720 quality disc, that is all that it will output...

ARE YOU USING the official PS3 Component cables? (many ps3 users tell us that the problems stop with quality cables are used ;))

One other fast and easy test, is to grab a DVD or BD Player and use it for the Source. That way you know you have a good quality signal.

Take a breath!

Component Cables only deliver What is Sent!!!

The RGC Software will only capture at What it Receives!

You starting to see the source of the problems???

You must Set your PS3 to a specific output, NEVER let it chose on its' own...

Even then, if you shove in a 720 quality disc, that is all that it will output...

ARE YOU USING the official PS3 Component cables? (many ps3 users tell us that the problems stop with quality cables are used ;))

One other fast and easy test, is to grab a DVD or BD Player and use it for the Source. That way you know you have a good quality signal.

"Component cables only deliver what is sent"...but yet I need "official PS3 cables"??Sounds like a contradiction in terms.I have a Radioshack brand of component cables,so therefore I can't get 720p quality?

Let me reiterate,that I've tried every available setting within the display & audio setting options in the PS3 & all to no avail.

I have run everything through my TV,including the internet,blu-ray and DVD and I get HD quality across the board.

All this being said,can you please give me some input that is useful?I'd really appreciate it,if you have some other trouble-shooting ideas.

Thanks

I did...

Good luck to you.

Your wishing me luck,instead of trying to understand why I am having a problem,by asking me more questions?Excuse me for being ignorant,but this is my very first game capture device and by the way(in case you haven't noticed),several people are having issues with this device.

If you people don't want to be bothered,then why don't you people just make a more in depth tutorial video that addresses how this device works with a TV's settings and that way,you can eliminate the need for a discussion forum,of which you obviously don't care to participate in.

Your wishing me luck,instead of trying to understand why I am having a problem,by asking me more questions?Excuse me for being ignorant,but this is my very first game capture device and by the way(in case you haven't noticed),several people are having issues with this device.

If you people don't want to be bothered,then why don't you people just make a more in depth tutorial video that addresses how this device works with a TV's settings and that way,you can eliminate the need for a discussion forum,of which you obviously don't care to participate in.

FYI: You are posting to a users forum, not Roxio Tech Support. The folks, who post here, are not Roxio, unless you see Roxio by their name. They owe you nothing.

FYI: You are posting to a users forum, not Roxio Tech Support. The folks, who post here, are not Roxio, unless you see Roxio by their name. They owe you nothing.

Ok...fine by me pal,I'll take my queries to Roxio's tech support and/or YouTube users.

"Component cables only deliver what is sent"...but yet I need "official PS3 cables"??Sounds like a contradiction in terms.I have a Radioshack brand of component cables,so therefore I can't get 720p quality?

The answer to your question is quite possibly, "Yes."

Also, did you try using a DVD or Blu-Ray player as a source to see how that worked?

The answer to your question is quite possibly, "Yes."

Also, did you try using a DVD or Blu-Ray player as a source to see how that worked?

I did some research and found a very interesting discussion about component versus HDMI..it's quite iluminating; http://www.overclock...-cables-on-720p

Component cables(regardless of brand),do indeed support HD...but since component is an analog cable,I suspect this is why my TV allegedly does not display past 480p,because it seems to only recognize HD from a digital cable.

Using HDMI only,I had no problem whatsoever,getting a 720p display...but of course,the PS3's blu-ray function,is a real problem with no solution I could find.

I viewed through several YouTube videos,were Roxio & PS3 users gave instructions on how to configure component cable set ups(BUT NONE OF THEM),ever said anything about what the resolution was,that was displayed on their TV's and to make matters worse....much worse,is that each individual had a different method of cable connection set ups.

One person had the configuration arranged as per the Roxio tutorial,another person had cables running in through the front inputs ONLY and yet another person,had connections running from only the rear of the Roxio device ONLY...which,needless to say,just compounded my confusion and made me wonder if any of those tutorials were legitimate at all.

I had contacted Roxio tech support,but unfortunately...it's via e-mail only and supposedly,I only have the one time support code(for the privilege of free support) :glare: and then beyond that...I would have to pay $25 session..or something to that effect and honestly,I think it's a terrible waste of money(especially so,since there is no guarantee they will resolve my issue).

To be quite blunt and to the point,none of you guys strike me as the gamer-types,so I can't fathom why you people are on this forum volunteering your time,because if your not neck deep into video games and the subsequent accessories,you're really not of much help to anyone with these types of issues(at least with regard to this particular category of the forum).

At this point,all of this riff raff is inconsequential to me now,because I decided to place an order for an Xbox and thereby circumventing all of this bullshit.I've been wanting an Xbox for a while for other reasons,so it's all good in the end.

As for the software end of things with the Roxio device...well...I'm pretty well versed in video production software(particularly Sony Vegas Studio)...so I'm not worried about any possible hiccups with Roxio's software.

Edited by elwoodblues1969

To be quite blunt and to the point,none of you guys strike me as the gamer-types,so I can't fathom why you people are on this forum volunteering your time,because if your not neck deep into video games and the subsequent accessories,you're really not of much help to anyone with these types of issues(at least with regard to this particular category of the forum).

You're right, most of us aren't the "gamer types". But tell me, which would you have preferred, no response at all to your original query, or the suggestions you did get? Your fellow gamers don't seem too inclined to hang out and help each other here, so those of us who have the inclination, do make an attempt to help, and often succeed.

On the flip side, it's not unusual to get gamers here who are unwilling to take the time to provide useful information, have very little experience with Windows or PCs, and expect a magical answer in 15 words or less, without any effort on their part. It does become difficult to not get cynical and write the gaming crowd off at times.

I hope your new Xbox satisfies your gaming needs and works as you expect with your game capture device.

It seems you are still having some issues that have not been resolved.

I don't own the same TV so I will help you in any other way I can, if my solutions did not work out for you, then I ask you to refer to your TV's manual for further support.

SETUP OF CABLES

Step 1: Check that you have a PS3 component cable. This cable contains 1 PlayStation plug, and 5 analog plugs, generally in the colors: RED, BLUE, GREEN for video, WHITE, RED for Audio.

Step 2: Just to be on the safe side, make sure that you did not mix up the red analog plugs and that all plugs are plugged in and secured firmly into your GameCap HD Pro.

Step 3: Connect a male-male component and audio cable from your GameCap HD Pro to your TV's component input

*Note: I noticed recently that the audio in and audio out on the gamecap pro are not mirrored! Make sure that with your audio cables, white mirrors red and red mirrors with white to make sure that your stereo mix isn't switched around!

Make sure your GCP HD is plugged in and correctly installed on your computer with the latest updates. the led light on the capture device should light up purple, not red.

SETUP OF PLAYSTATION 3 SYSTEM

Step 1: After turning your PS3 on, go to system settings, then display settings.

Step 2: Select output method and set it to Component. in the resolution selection, the most basic resolution is not unselectable. Apart from this, ONLY check 720p, then continue. If this displays the correct image then you should be good to go.

Step 3: Load up the capture software provided with your card, if needed set the input to Component, and check the options to make sure that 720p mode is selected.

I really hope this works. It's late where I am right now so I can't do much more at the moment, but if you need any further assistence I will see what I can do :)

The GameCap Pro HD is not perfect, but it can be a nice piece of equipment once you work around it's flaws.

Good luck!

I did some research and found a very interesting discussion about component versus HDMI..it's quite iluminating; http://www.overclock...-cables-on-720p

Yes it is. But that has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with Roxio or the RGC Pro

I viewed through several YouTube videos,were Roxio & PS3 users gave instructions on how to configure component cable set ups(BUT NONE OF THEM),ever said anything about what the resolution was,that was displayed on their TV's and to make matters worse....much worse,is that each individual had a different method of cable connection set ups.

One person had the configuration arranged as per the Roxio tutorial,another person had cables running in through the front inputs ONLY and yet another person,had connections running from only the rear of the Roxio device ONLY...which,needless to say,just compounded my confusion and made me wonder if any of those tutorials were legitimate at all.

What do you mean by "Legitimate" ?? DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THEY ARE VIDEOS PRODUCED BY END USERS ??

That means THOSE PEOPLE DO NOT WORK FOR ROXIO OR COREL !!! It also means that NEITHER COMPANY endorse them. If you're DUMB ENOUGH to consider those videos to be THE HOLY GOSPEL of video game capturing, you DO need help (Though not the help you're seeking here)

Just WHAT do you think most of us were when you first started this thread ?? VIDEO PRODUCTION PROFESSIONALS ?? SERIOUSLY ??

Most (If not ALL) of us here ARE gamers (Apparently just like you)

At this point,all of this riff raff is inconsequential to me now,because I decided to place an order for an Xbox and thereby circumventing all of this bullshit.I've been wanting an Xbox for a while for other reasons,so it's all good in the end.

As for the software end of things with the Roxio device...well...I'm pretty well versed in video production software(particularly Sony Vegas Studio)...so I'm not worried about any possible hiccups with Roxio's software.

Good. Maybe you can take YOUR ATTITUDE with you to your friends in the VP industry. They might appreciate it more (Then again, maybe not)

Sorry guys but even with all my problems & frustrations, I had to vent some frustration toward the OP as he/she thinks we're all supposed to be professionals (If not WORK for the company) & felt as though I had to set the record straight :)

Cheers :)

I don't know if you've managed to fix your issues by now with PS3 capture over Component.

I have posted this before, but I will do it again just in case:

SETUP OF CABLES

Step 1: Check that you have a PS3 component cable. This cable contains 1 PlayStation plug, and 5 analog plugs, generally in the colors: RED, BLUE, GREEN for video, WHITE, RED for Audio.

Step 2: Just to be on the safe side, make sure that you did not mix up the red analog plugs and that all plugs are plugged in and secured firmly into your GameCap HD Pro.

Step 3: Connect a male-male component and audio cable from your GameCap HD Pro to your TV's component input

*Note: I noticed recently that the audio in and audio out on the gamecap pro are not mirrored! Make sure that with your audio cables, white mirrors red and red mirrors with white to make sure that your stereo mix isn't switched around!

(If this confuses you, I mean to say: make sure that all plugs are in the right color plug.)

Make sure your GCP HD is plugged in and correctly installed on your computer with the latest updates. the led light on the capture device should light up purple, not red.

SETUP OF PLAYSTATION 3 SYSTEM

Step 1: After turning your PS3 on, go to system settings, then display settings.

Step 2: Select output method and set it to Component. in the resolution selection, the most basic resolution is not unselectable. Apart from this, ONLY check 720p, then continue. If this displays the correct image then you should be good to go.

Step 3: Load up the capture software provided with your card, if needed set the input to Component, and check the options to make sure that 720p mode is selected.

Setting the resolution higher really isn't that useful. Most PS3 games don't go past 720p, with the exception of some titles. Sometimes, a game's box claims it's 1080p, but this isn't always true.

Besides, when your system's resolution is 1080i or 1080p, switching to a game that has 720p resolution might reset the capture resolution to 480p.

So again, setting the video output to 720p may look worse, but for games and capturing the footage, this is your best bet.

A word of advise: Make sure you always load up the game first, then check the capture resolution before you start playing and recording.

Do note that footage captured over component may look bland. To get the best results, I found these settings worked best for me:

Brightness: 125

Hue: 128 (default)

Contrast: 240

Saturation: 255

These settings generally work best when you set the game's gamma/brightness adjustment (back) to default.

Another tip:

As someone said earlier, there is a vast difference between hdmi and component and their quality.

As component is analog, you may see translucent artefacts in your footage. HDMI is a lot clearer.

To capture PS3 footage over HDMI, you will need to evade HDCP.

You can do this with either of the 2 options: a HDMI splitter, or the Monoprice DVI-D/Toslink to HDMI converter. The latter is more expensive, but is proven to work with all HDMI capable consoles.

With the monoprice you need to keep the following in mind: It only comes with a US power supply. For best results for people outside the US, you should use a travel power converter.

You will need the following cables: 1 HDMI to DVI-D cable, 1 toslink (or optical male-male) cable, 1 HDMI cable to run from the monoprice to the GCP, then 1 more HDMI cable to go from GCP to your TV.

You will also need to set your audio output to "optical" and disable all optional output methods. linear PCM is best for this.

If you wish to use a different sound source (like analog), you can set "multiple audio output" on from the PS3 settings menu.

However, a fair warning, the Roxio GCHDP has difficulty with transitions in games between loadscreens, cutscenes and gameplay while capturing over hdmi. There is no 100% fix for this issue. Monitoring your capture on a separate screen and stop the capture every now and then.

I am not responsible for purchases made by you based on my advice. What worked for me might not work for you. I will also not be held responsible for abuse of the HDCP evasion by others.