Blue Screen Abend On Cd Load

justphilip

Question

My system features followed by problem statement.

Computer specs are:

PC model: HP p7-1414

Processor: AMD A8-5500 with Radeon HD Graphics 3.20 GHz

RAM: 32,0 GB

Operating System:

Win 8 v6.2.9200, 64 bit operating system

Roxio Creator 2012 (Music/Photo/Video/Sharing/Burning):

Version 13.5; 6.0.0.0

Serial Number: Lc-V3872-21Zhw-DQ570

iTunes:

version 11.1.0.126

Used to play stored cd music

Problem: Blue Screen Abend

When a music CD is loaded into the CD/DVD drive the system displays a blue screen and reboots. The complete operating system has been reloaded and each program loaded from install downloads or CD.

Roxio Power DVD appears to be the cause. When the default Audio CD is set to iTunes, the CD plays okay on the first CD after a message is displayed in the upper right of screen (stating that other options available ) and ignored. After reboot Power DVD is re-established as the default audio CD.

This blue screen abend occurs whether or not iTunes is preloaded or not; Roxio was never loaded during this prolonged occurrence. Many attempted fixes by Geek Squad with; reloading the operating system was their final solution; it worked until the final four programs WinZip, Nero 2013, Roxio creator 2012 and Roxio Easy VHS to DVD3 were installed. This problem started to occur after 24 Wind 8 updates. It did not occur with VISTA O/S.

iTunes is the preferred music player.

Is this a known problem with a fix?

6 answers to this question

Hi Philip, You said

"Roxio Power DVD appears to be the cause. When the default Audio CD is set to iTunes, the CD plays okay on the first CD after a message is displayed in the upper right of screen (stating that other options available ) and ignored. After reboot Power DVD is re-established as the default audio CD."

Power DVD is a cyberlink product; have you asked on their forums? Is the version you have compatible with your OS? Have you set it to not open music from itunes (music formats)? Have you set the Auto play programs in Windows to use itunes?

As grandpabruce says, the Creator program is not compatible but I have never heard of a blue screen issue with the program. Usually it works a couple of times and then just stops working.

I have all those programs except Nero on my computer and I have not had a blue screen. I still have W7. I just updated W7.

BY the way, most people use "crash" rather than "abend" on these forums. Are you getting any error messages before the blue screen?

Autoplay options:

post-58-0-77458400-1380716482_thumb.jpg

Edited by sknis

No prior messages other than the Pop up box message: "DVD RW Drive(E:) Audio CD" "You have new choices for CD." It appears that I will need to buy an upgrade that is Win 8 compatible leaving me with a clean up question: Should I de-install Creator 2012 or leave in place for an upgrade overlay? Not sure if "Power DVD" came with Creator 2012 install and if it will be removed if I de-install creator 2012. What to do? Thanks for the responses!

I now believe I was wrong on my assumption of PowerDVD10 causing the crash. When the Music CD is loading the Roxio/CD symbol appears at the bottom of my screen, so I now think it is a Roxio/Win 8 conflict. I reviewed PowerDVD 10 and 12, both are compatible with win 8. Thanks for your response.

That cd icon is called Roxio burn. I never use it. I turn it off on the Home screen options. That would not cause the crash.

Does Nero have a packet writing program ? If you have to format a disc before using it it is probably a packet writing program. There would still be no crash unless you had a very early version of a packet writing program on your computer. Roxio took their packet writing program out of the suite many versions ago.