• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Installation Failure Error Code 1603

plusmore

Question

I am trying to install NXT 2 Pro and getting an interrupted error after which the installation rolls back. In the setup log there is a line that says

Action InstallActions.EMC_14X.Install failed with exit code 1603.

I am running Windows 8.1, I am logged on as the Administrator and I have disabled Windows Defender (new laptop, will put a proper antivirus on later). The machine is a Dell XPS15 (i7 8GB RAM 512GB SSD hard disk) so should be powerful enough.

I have attached the log files - can anyone advise how to fix this? I have tried 4 times so far and I'm bothered my maximum install count is going to reached before I get the program installed!

Peter

LogFile 13-10-05 16-50.zip

17 answers to this question

I don't know if this is any help, but I got the same error message trying to install NXT on a Windows 7 machine. I tried so many times I used up all my permitted installations. Roxio finally reset my install counter and the next attempt at install I disabled Norton Security and did a Windows Clean Boot (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us). My install finally completed normally, but (this is off topic) I now am having many problems using NXT disc copy, disc burn, MyDVD burn, and desktop burner. I hope if you get it installed you don't run into these problems, but if you do, please see: http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/89663-nxt-pro-not-recognizing-disc-in-drive/ . Good luck!

Jerry

If you are running W8.1, isn't that a beta version todate ? I had been advised that the full version W8.1

wasn't supposed to be out for update until later this month from MS ??

I work for a Microsoft Partner and as such have MSDN access, MS made the RTM version available to MSDN users prior to it being a downloadable update for everyone.

Peter

I have worked through that topic and none of it applies to my system, what is also odd is that I had the previous version of NXT installed and that was no bother. I bought the new version, uninstalled the old version and now can't install the new vesion. I have run the Microsoft Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter followed by CCleaner to ensure that all traces of any previous programs have been removed from the registry. Baffled at the moment.

Oh well, as no one seems to have any ideas and I can't raise a call with Roxio technical support as they didn't provide a support code when I registered the software nor responded to my request for one when I raised a ticket with them (01888207) I have had to remove and reinstalled Windows 8.1 one last time (failed again) so put Windows 7 back on to the computer. Needless to say the installation went straight through. The pain is that I have used up 5 or 6 of the possible installations so I am wary about ever trying Windows 8 again as I am likely to exceed my maximum number of installations - this is a test machine so gets rebuilt several times a year - is there any way that I can get the counter reset to 1?

Windows 8.1 hits the streets in the next couple of weeks - I wonder if that means that everyone purchasing NXT 2 for a new computer after then is going to have the same problem? Maybe then Roxio will address the issue.

So, Windows 8.1 has gone live today. The question is do I attempt to reinstall it again and then try installing NTX 2 or do I wait for a few weeks to see if Roxio announce any updated versions/patches/workarounds (do they ever formally announce updates?)

Edited by plusmore

Worked this time :D

I installed Windows 8.1 from scratch again and installed all device drivers and updates, then from an account with Administrator rights installed NXT 2 Pro. I didn't take the option to check for updates and the install went in clean, tested with the USB video grabber from Easy VHS to DVD 3 and that captured video fine.

Hope this may help others.