• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Install For Nxt 2 Pro - Installing In Wrong Directories And Creating Bad Start Menus

SAD

Question

HI, I bought NXT 2 Pro on 9/20 and am having trouble getting it installed correctly. I can't get anyone from Roxio support to help me. I have two cases open but no one responds to either case. Anyway here is my main issue. I want to install on a secondary drive not on my C Drive and everything works OK except WinDVD installs on the C drive and recreates my Roxio NXT start menu item what's more is it doesn't enable for BluRay playback (a feature of NXT 2 Pro) and doesn't show up in the NXT 2 Pro start window. This is even after doing a full uninstall according to the instructions here - http://corel.force.com/roxio/articles/en_US/Master_Article/000015955-Complete-uninstall-instructions-for-Creator-2011-2012-NXT?applicationSubCategory=Creator&keyWords=uninstall&lang=en_US&productSubCategory=Creator+NXT+Pro&productTopCategory=Roxio_Products&sb=new&topicCategory=INS&source=kba Also the programs BackonTrack and Burn install in a menu called Roxio

post-115423-0-49869100-1381527266_thumb.jpg

post-115423-0-94819600-1381527289_thumb.jpg

19 answers to this question

Steve,

Can you please clarify "Installing in wrong directories" (plural). You mentioned WinDVD installing on the home drive instead of where you wanted it, but what other things install in the wrong directories?

I don't have a Blu-Ray drive, so someone else whill have to deal with WinDVD playing Blu-Ray discs or not.

My install created the same menu items in NXT Pro 2 > Video/Movies as you show in your first screenshot, and the same Start > All Programs menu folders as you have (except I have HDR Express 2 and izotope which aren't shown in yours). They all seem to work okay, so What Bad Start Menus are created?

If you can clarify those points for me I can try and duplicate your problem on my system.

Regards,

Brendon

Thanks Brandon for replying!

My main install directory is

D:\Programs\Roxio Creator NXT 2

But there are files in

C:\Program Files\Roxio\Roxio Burn

And in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Roxio\BackOnTrack

And WinDVD is intalled in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Corel WinDVD

On the NXT desktop (older version) under Enjoy there was an option that said Play Video which launched WinDVD. I assume that this isn't happening because the launch app isn't finding winDVD where it expects to and am hoping that this is also why WinDVD doesn't think its licensed for BluRay playback.

I have also included another opened up start menu. I would expect with the new version that the old menu item Roxio Creator NXT would be gone and the NXT 2 would remain. I don't recall ever having just Roxio and the same thing there I would think that the two application should show up under NXT2 -> Applications

post-115423-0-09317600-1381543350_thumb.jpg

post-115423-0-34061800-1381543351_thumb.jpg

I have also included another opened up start menu. I would expect with the new version that the old menu item Roxio Creator NXT would be gone and the NXT 2 would remain. I don't recall ever having just Roxio and the same thing there I would think that the two application should show up under NXT2 -> Applications

My installation is on a virgin Windows, never seen a Roxio program before. My menus and Startup are the same as yours with respect to things installed by Roxio.

The installer doesn't accidentally leave a Roxio Creator NXT folder in Startup, it actively puts one there along with a Roxio Creator NXT 2 folder, and a plain Roxio folder.

I have no idea why the programmers did it like that, [lazy?] but yours and mine have installed the way they instructed it to.

Strange, isn't it.

Regards,

Brendon

When Install hits a application from an Older install that it does not need to remove, it has always left the old Directory intact, removing only the shortcuts for the apps it is removing...

It has always done that since they went with the removal process within the installer ;)

Edited by Jim_Hardin

When Install hits a application from an Older install that it does not need to remove, it has always left the old Directory intact, removing only the shortcuts for the apps it is removing...

It has always done that since they went with the removal process within the installer ;)

Please read post #4. Mine was an install to a virgin HD, and rather than leave old directories the installer made them. It is a deliberate placement by the installer, rather than leaving old stuff.

Regards,

Brendon

Please read post #4. Mine was an install to a virgin HD, and rather than leave old directories the installer made them. It is a deliberate placement by the installer, rather than leaving old stuff.

Regards,

Brendon

Since NXT 2 doesn't come with WinDVD, where did that entry come from?

Unfortunately, my install was over NXT, which is more typical of real world use.

Likewise this minor issues with the Start Menu, are very easy to fix ;)

I do agree that the Installer should have been cleaned up before release!

Of course all complex programs do leave a large footprint on the C:\ drive.

Since NXT 2 doesn't come with WinDVD, where did that entry come from?

What chew talkin' about, Willis?

Of course WinDVD is installed by Creator NXT Pro 2. Where else would it have come from? I assure you it's not from a prior version because there has never been one of them on this system.

post-208-0-64516400-1381667492_thumb.jpg

You really need to have the software installed the way you're talking about, else you get your assumptions wrong and go leaping to one of those confusions.

Regards,

Brendon

You really need to have the software installed the way you're talking about, else you get your assumptions wrong and go leaping to one of those confusions.

I did not think that is a prerequisite for ASKING A QUESTION :huh:

Since they removed the PLAY button from the interface and there is NO mention of it in the specs, it lead me to believe it had not been included... :D

Sorry if that ruffles your feathers ;)

So, Jim to answer your statement about WinDVD being part of NXT 2 Pro

You can see it is indeed one of the included software packages with NXT 2 Pro http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/creator/compare-family.html

You will see there under DVD Creation + Playback

Easy DVD and AVCHD disc playback for your PC with WinDVD

The statment that Jim states "I do agree that the Installer should have been

cleaned up before release! Of course all complex programs do leave a large footprint on the C:\ drive. "

and

That Brendon states "The installer doesn't accidentally leave a Roxio Creator NXT folder

in Startup, it actively puts one there along with a Roxio Creator NXT 2 folder, and

a plain Roxio folder. I have no idea why the programmers did it like that, [lazy?]"

I believe can be summed up in that the installer has bugs that need to be addressed by

the Roxio installation and development team.

1) The installer should follow its own option of allowing you to specify the

installation directory for all directories. It only asks once so the expectation would

be that the software will install in that directory.

2) Maybe you call it Lazy I call it broken

that the installer (probably cut and pasted from older

Roxio product installations)creates a "Roxio Creator NXT" start menu item

and an even older "Roxio" start menu item.

3) the launch desktop is obviously not finding WinDVD as installed

so the play menu option is not showing up. This is a severe bug in my opinion.

SO this leaves me nowhere..How do I get Roxio to fix their bugs???

And NOW after reading the documentation more I'm confused as to whether WinDVD

that is included should or should not read BluRay. I know the new version of

WinDVD does but the included version seems to be old

"which is distrubing in itself" and I don't see where they actually tell you

that NXT 2 Pro supports "PLAYBACK" of the your bluRay creations that

the product does support back to the link above:

Author High Definition Blu-ray Video Discs

Edit HD video directly on BD-RE discs, saving time and money

Author HD video to standard DVDs for playback on Blu-ray players

Burn up to 50GB of data content on to one Blu-ray Disc

Copy* Blu-ray Discs

Burn videos on Blu-ray Disc

Burn up to 60 min of HD video on standard DVDs and watch them using a Blu-ray player

So, should I expect BluRay Playback from the included

winDVD or did I mis-read the capabilities? Or is it an intentional lack of feature

so they can then hit you up for an upgrade cost for BluRay playback?

I can tell you right now, Nothing says that anything included in Plays anything :huh:

I uninstalled WinDVD as I use the VLC Player... (free)

The WinDVD included with NXT does not play ANY commercial disc!

I think I saw someone say the one in NXT 2 will play a commercial DVD... Maybe some one can confirm that.

Those are not "bugs" in the install, so they will not be fixed... They may not perform as you think they should but that does not constitute a "bug".

As I said, it is easy to fix, Cut and Paste the Start Menu Shortcuts into the NXT 2 Folder. Then delete the empty ones!

Yes that is a bit of a pain but then it is all part of customizing your Start Menu ;)

Well Jim you obviously didn't follow the link on the Roxio website (here is tis again midway down the page it talks about WinDVD as part of NXT 2 but not NXT 1), Do you work for Roxio? If WinDVD was NOT part of the NXT Pro edition as the Comparison says it does not,Then How can you say it is not a bug to put it in a directory called Roxio Creator NXT? If it is part of a Product called Roxio Creator NXT 2 then why does it not install it there? Its a bug. Secondly, of course WinDVD plays commercial DIsks that is what it is designed to do you put a commercial disk in your drive and it plays it fine. It will not play a BluRay disc, however, it just says "Media Not Supported.". Thirdly, how is it not a bug that the NXT 2 Pro desktop won't launch WinDVD which is include to play DVDs? and how is it not a bug that 3 of the 11 or more apps don't install in the specified directory and install wherever they want. Why are you so offended that Roxio may have a bug or two. What software doesn't??????

BTW, you are missing the point that the start menu is a result of poor QA and issues with the installer not the issue that its hard or difficult to fix but fixing that doesn't resolve the fact I don't want portions of NXT 2 Pro on my root drive and that the product doesn't find all its components in the launch desktop!!!

I looked at the Features of NXT 2 Pro and WinDVD is not listed there. I did follow your link and see that WinDVD is indeed listed with the Pro Suite ;)

Bugs Break things and this does not qualify as a bug... Sorry but that's the way it is. And that is why I predict, it will not get fixed.

As I said before, I do agree it was a poor way to do it but not worthy of the big deal you are trying to make of it -_-

I did retest my NXT version of WinDVD and it does not play any commercial DVD and will not open any AVCHD or Blu-ray disc. Still cannot say how it works in the NXT 2 version but I am sure Brendon will know when he gets back on.

Sorry it isn't going to work out the way you want. You will just have to do the best you can with it ;)

"I did retest my NXT version of WinDVD and it does not play any commercial DVD and will not open any AVCHD or Blu-ray disc." - I assume you tried with actual legal commercial physical media which is what Corel's WinDVD is created for. The latest version will play commercial BluRay as well. Version 10 which is the included version only plays DVD. So I guess that mystery is solved. I'll see if I can get my money back and just go buy some of the Corel Branded products.

"I did retest my NXT version of WinDVD and it does not play any commercial DVD and will not open any AVCHD or Blu-ray disc." - I assume you tried with actual legal commercial physical media which is what Corel's WinDVD is created for. The latest version will play commercial BluRay as well. Version 10 which is the included version only plays DVD. So I guess that mystery is solved. I'll see if I can get my money back and just go buy some of the Corel Branded products.

Yep, I tried WinDVD in NXT 2 Pro for Jim. It plays commercial DVDs happily, but I don't have a Blu-Ray drive to try

post-208-0-86161500-1381704184_thumb.jpg

I wish you well in your efforts.

Thanks Brendon!

(I was restoring an image last night but "...there were problems", was the message this morning :lol: )

I wish someone would test a commercial BD on the NXT 2 version and let us know, while I am reformatting that drive ;)

SAD: Yes the DVD's I had made did work OK. But since most of my work these days is with AVCHD & BD, that is why I un-installed the bundled WinDVD and went with VLC!

I hope we are getting closer to a solution that will work for you???

Brendon and I can help you consolidate your Start Menu shortcuts into one place...

VLC or other Players can give you a Player that will give you
One Stop Shopping...

Can't change the install path at all
:(

By the way, when I was a young pup in high school, I went to one of thier concerts! My iPhone has quite a few of their songs as well ^_^

Edited by Jim_Hardin
nostalgia

Just for information. :mellow:

I tried playing my most recent commercial blu ray movie - - Star Trek Into Darkness -- and I got a notice that the 'Media Not Supported". My other computer based player has no problems playing it

I loaded the standard DVD version of the same movie and it played.

I just gave my son the last blu ray movie that I did so I can't test that.

WINDVD has an AVCHD logo so I would guess that it plays those home built DVD.