• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Flv Files Not Being Recognized, Only Mp4

caubeen

Question

I have a number of video files which I have previously downloaded from the internet, including YouTube videos. Some are flv and some are mp4. I'm not sure why there are two different types, although it may be they came from different sources. At this point, I don't remember, although I think it is likely they all came from YouTube. Anyway, when I go to the folder from which I want to copy some of these files to a dvd, it only shows the mp4 files as being available. I have somehow copied (not using Roxio) some .flv files to a dvd disc, but they will only play in a computer, not a dvd player. What am I not understanding about these two different types of files? Any help would be appreciated.

Caubeen

7 answers to this question

I have a number of video files which I have previously downloaded from the internet, including YouTube videos. Some are flv and some are mp4. I'm not sure why there are two different types, although it may be they came from different sources. At this point, I don't remember, although I think it is likely they all came from YouTube. Anyway, when I go to the folder from which I want to copy some of these files to a dvd, it only shows the mp4 files as being available. I have somehow copied (not using Roxio) some .flv files to a dvd disc, but they will only play in a computer, not a dvd player. What am I not understanding about these two different types of files? Any help would be appreciated.

Caubeen

flv files are not compatible with Roxio and you have to use a 3rd party utility to convert them to an acceptable format. "Freemake Convertor" is such a free program. Google for it.

What am I not understanding about these two different types of files? Any help would be appreciated.

Video can be stored on DVDs in two different ways:

[A] as a data disc, where the video files [flv, mp4, avi, wmv etc] are just stored on the DVD.

The menu item 'Make Data Disc' does this, and the stored files can be played on a computer but not usually on a DVD player.

as a specially authored video DVD.

Here the video files are processed by the Roxio program [MyDVD, or MyDVD Express etc] into a standard video DVD that all DVD players can play. The files are converted from mp4, avi, wmv, etc. into files which appear as VOB, BUP and IFO files in a VIDEO_TS folder on the DVD.

YouTube will give you MP4 and FLV files, and Easy CD and DVD Burning [Make Data Disc] will store any of those files on a data DVD. However FLV files aren't recognized by Easy CD and DVD Burning for processing into Video DVDs so MyDVD won't handle them.

Regards,

Brendon

Brendon and Digital Guru,

Thanks much for your answers, which were very clear and to the point. I now understand how to proceed (without Roxio, unfortunately), but I wish Roxio had included some information about its limitations with regard to flv files, as they are quite common.

Once again, I appreciate you taking the time to help me understand.

Caubeen

You're welcome. The distinction between video files and standard video DVDs confuses many people.

If you have a Roxio program [the reason for posting here?] don't throw it away.

There are a number of free, safe converter programs which can convert your FLVs to a type that the Roxio programs will accept.

Regrets Davieray, this program [Easy CD & DVD Burning, v.14] won't touch MP4s, either :angry:

Here's the list of files it claims to handle, compared to the following list which belongs to its parent suite, Creator 2012.

post-208-0-43484400-1388358076_thumb.jpg

Easy CD & DVD Burning, v.14

post-208-0-61422400-1388358131_thumb.jpg

Creator 2012

I'm afraid I can't help you with recommending a file converter. I have the full Roxio suite which handles these filetypes, so I use that when needed.

Best regards,

Brendon