• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

ruddyman

Encoding In Burning Process Slow! Toast 11.1 And Mavericks

Question

After installing Mavericks yesterday, the encoding/CD burning process was so terribly slow that I had to cancel and download the free burn software to finish the job. When I say slow, I mean after 6 hours I was only at 25% completed. I was burning a couple of .m4v files (600 mb a piece) to DVD. The free burn software had it done within a couple of hours.

11 answers to this question

I'd like to check this on my Mac. Were the .m4v videos HD or SD? Were you making a video DVD?

• Like 1

On my 2.2Ghz MacBook Pro running OS 10.9.0, Toast 11.1 (1072) took 28 minutes to encode a 13-minute (815 MB) .m4v standard-def video at Best quality and less than 2 minutes to multiplex and write a disc image of the DVD. So something is happening on your Mac that isn't happening on mine. I don't know if you have DiskWarrior but maybe there is something amiss with your system's interaction with Toast. Or maybe it will work to trash the Toast plist and prefs files and even reinstall Toast.

Edited by tsantee
  • Like 1

On my 2.2Ghz MacBook Pro running OS 10.9.0, Toast 11.1 (1072) took 28 minutes to encode a 13-minute (815 MB) .m4v standard-def video at Best quality and less than 2 minutes to multiplex and write a disc image of the DVD. So something is happening on your Mac that isn't happening on mine. I don't know if you have DiskWarrior but maybe there is something amiss with your system's interaction with Toast. Or maybe it will work to trash the Toast plist and prefs files and even reinstall Toast.

Would it be safe to assume from your post then, that Toast 11.1 is working correctly with Mavericks then? I just bought Toast 11, and am planning on upgrading. However if it isn't going to work correctly, I would rather just get a refund for the product. On a side note, does Toast not do animated DVD menu's? I thought it did, am I overlooking something?

eshane

It appears that my post asking if Toast 11.1 will work with Mavericks has been answered here. I don't use DiskWarrior, so it looks like I just might be able to continue to use Toast 11.1. Please let me know if I'm mistaken. Am thinking of upgrading to Mavericks this weekend after I check on a few other apps that I don't want to lose functionality...so far though, it looks like I'll probably be upgrading. Thanks folks! {:)

Would it be safe to assume from your post then, that Toast 11.1 is working correctly with Mavericks then? I just bought Toast 11, and am planning on upgrading. However if it isn't going to work correctly, I would rather just get a refund for the product. On a side note, does Toast not do animated DVD menu's? I thought it did, am I overlooking something?

eshane

I'm expecting Toast to work as before except for the loss of the Web Video capture due to changes Apple has made with how Flash is treated. Roxio completely rewrote Toast 11.1 for future compatibility with Mac OS, but there seems to be no further work on Toast since 11.1 (1072) was released a year ago.

As for the Toast DVD menu, there is only the static menu. You would need to use different software if motion menus are important (or if you wanted to name chapters).

• Like 2

There is a new feature in Mavericks, called "App Nap", which slows down background processes. Maybe it's responsible? You can try this:

1. Go to Applications > Toast 11 Titanium.
  2. Right-click on the Toast Titanium app.
  3. Choose "Get the Info" or something.
  4. In the Info window, check "Prevent App Nap" or something.

I say "or something" cause my system is in French, and I don't have the English labels. In theory, this will prevent "App Nap" from affecting Toast.

• Like 1

I don't have diskwarrior, but I did the plist trash and I reinstalled Toast. Still terribly slow on the encode. Worked fine before Mavericks. I also prevented "appnapp"

Edited by ruddyman

I just bought 11, tried to install it and my new iMac is telling me that it is from an unknown supplier and won't allow it to install.

I discovered, not on the Roxio site, that the unknown developer block on install can be overridden by holding down the option key while double clicking the app in the finder. 11 installed quickly and I just burned a two DVD set with TIF and .MOV files in a very short amount of time, without any hang ups. This is on a new iMac 3.4ghz, running Mavericks.

Edited by Jim Wilson