No Sound On Videos For Editing

cj23

Question

I recently installed NXT 2 and when I tried to edit a video file there was no sound even though there is sound when I play the video clip. Is this a problem with NXT 2 or am I missing something when I import the video file. I had no problem with previous versions of Creator.

If anyone can help I would appreciate it. If I can't resolve this problem I will have to go back to a previously version of Creator

thanks

13 answers to this question

Thanks for replying.

The file is from a HD video camera.

When playing the video using Windows media player or any other player the sound is there.

When editing the file with previous versions of Creator the sound is there

Sound is only missing when trying to edit with Creator NXT 2.

Any other suggestions. Could it be a problem with NXT 2

I am not having any luck with Roxio Support.

If you can help Thanks.

I am using winddows 7

I don't have Quicktime installed on this computer and have never had to use it before.

My main question is : Why is the sound there on previous versions of Creator and every other video player and not on NXT 2.

I didn't try what Jim suggested bedause I have many hours of video and would not be able to convert them all just to make it work on NXT 2

OK here is what I have tried.

The original file is a AVCHD Video.

I restored creator 2011 and was able to edit the file with the sound. Can't do that with NXt 2

I then converted the original file to AVI file, reinstalled NXT 2 and was able to edit with original sound of recording.

I am not a young man and if I have to run all my videos through a converter I'll never finish in my ifetime.

My question is: Why won't creator NXT 2 work on the original AVCHD file when the old version of Creator will work??

Thanks for your help but I don't think converting the files is an option for me, I'll just have to use an old version of Creator or find a different editor.

You said "I am not a young man and if I have to run all my videos through a converter I'll never finish in my lifetime" That is a lot of videos or you are older than me -- and I'm pretty old.

There are some converters that will do batch convert. The one I use is the free "Any Video Converter" Load the videos and let it run overnight. Convert the AVCHD files to mpg2 (high definition) if you are going to use blu ray or make AVCHD discs. Select mpg2 (standard definition ) if you are going to make standard DVDs. Since the conversion would make the videos DVD compliant, they would be rendered (reencoded) ONLY where you have made changes or there are transitions. It actually saves a lot of time -- which you may or may not have.

Please don't play the "Yes -But" game ! Use the advice or not, Also a reminder, we are users who try to help. We are not Roxio employees so you using an older version or going to something else has no affect on our wallets.

Sknis

I'm glad I am not the only old man fooling around with this stuff.

That's good advice. I may have to look into the batch convrsion you mentioned, The information about converting the files to MPG2 is especially usefull because it in not clear to me which formats produce the best quality DVD's.

I know you guys are just trying to help and I really do appreciate it since I am a long way from being a Digital Guru. I realize that going back to an earlier version of creator or using another product takes nothing out of your wallet. I was just mentioning it as an option I might have to resort to,

I finally have a problem ticket open with Roxio so If they don't have an answer that doesn't involve converting the videos, I'll probably follow your much appreciated advice.

A final Question. Does running files through the converter cause a loss of quality??

Thanks for all your help.

Sknis

I'm glad I am not the only old man fooling around with this stuff.

That's good advice. I may have to look into the batch convrsion you mentioned, The information about converting the files to MPG2 is especially usefull because it in not clear to me which formats produce the best quality DVD's.

I know you guys are just trying to help and I really do appreciate it since I am a long way from being a Digital Guru. I realize that going back to an earlier version of creator or using another product takes nothing out of your wallet. I was just mentioning it as an option I might have to resort to,

I finally have a problem ticket open with Roxio so If they don't have an answer that doesn't involve converting the videos, I'll probably follow your much appreciated advice.

A final Question. Does running files through the converter cause a loss of quality??

Thanks for all your help.

Any time you run a video file through a converter you will lose quality - it may not be enough that you will notice though.

All video on a standard DVD is mpeg format. If you started with HD video then going to a standard DVD will lose quality.

You said the original file from the camcorder was AVCHD. What is the extension on the file after you have transferred it to your computer? How are you transferring the video to your computer?

Edited by myguggi

If you are going to convert, you normally stick to the Same format and quality!

You probably have mts or m2ts files. Stay with that!

Now IF your only Output is going to be DVD Movie, you could do the conversion to mpeg in your output quality AND retain your original files ;)

That way you have a render ready mpg for burning to DVD but retain your originals...

Jim, and Myguggi,

The file extension is MTS and I transfer files to computer by plugging the SD card into the computer and using roxio video capture.

There is no need to use Roxio Video Capture to transfer the files from the SD card to your computer. A simple copy using Windows Explorer should do it and it will keep the identical quality of the original video on the SD card.