rahmmie

Subtitles Not Hardcoded After Mavericks Installed

Question

Let's see, hopefully I can give all the background info properly:

Working on an iMac Mid 2011, Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB, Software OS X 10.9

Using Toast 11 Titanium, Version 11.1

Burning a simple DVD (no HD) so I can watch it on a regular DVD player, so I'm using the "VIDEO" option and then the "DVD-Video" subcategory.

In a folder are two files: Joe and Nancy.avi and Joe and Nancy.srt (yes, the names of the files are exactly the same, the only difference is the extension)

Prior to upgrading to OS X 10.9 (Mavericks), all I had to do was drop the Joe and Nancy.avi file in Toast, click on "burn" and insert a DVD. Once finished, I could watch the DVD and the subtitles that were in the file Joe and Nancy.srt would automatically be hardcoded into the video (which is exactly what I wanted). The last time I did this was 2 days before upgrading to Mavericks. One day after upgrading to Mavericks, Toast will only burn the Joe and Nancy.avi file but I cannot get it to recognize the .srt file with the subtitles (and of course, it doesn't burn them when burning the video). I have made absolutely no changes to any preferences to any other applications, the only change has been the upgrade to Mavericks.

Just in case someone needs this info, the Joe and Nancy.avi file has the following characteristics:

Video: DivX 6.0, 720 x 304, 25 fps

Audio: MPEG Layer - 3, Audio, Stereo, 48000 Hz

The Output Summary says:

Video: MPEG-2, 4.0 Mbps (8.0 Mbps max)

Audio: Dolby Digital 192 kbps

The day after I upgraded to Mavericks I tried to burn a DVD like the one I had burned a few days before with the Joe and Nancy movie, and it would burn the movie but not the subtitles. In fact, I tried to burn the same movie I had burned last (Joe and Nancy) and this time it would NOT burn the subtitles. It wouldn't even show them when looking at the movie in Edit mode while in Toast.

Either Mavericks and Toast have an incompatibility or there is now a codec that is missing or not compatible with Mavericks and that is somehow affecting Toast.

Has anybody had the same problem or even better, found a solution?

3 answers to this question

Just ran into the same problem today.

I know that the reason this used to work, up until now, is because of a third-party Quicktime extension called Perian. (Check your system preferences panel, do you see it there?) It wasn't a service being provided by Toast directly, it was Quicktime + Perian that was rendering the subtitles onto the picture, and Toast was just burning the result. (That's why there are no options in Toast to select or disable those subtitles; Toast doesn't know anything about them.)

Unfortunately Perian development was discontinued a few years back, but it's continued to work through 10.7 and 10.8. Perhaps 10.9 Mavericks has finally broken it? I'm not sure yet.

Either that, or recent versions of Toast are no longer using the same Quicktime pathway to render AVI movies?

Either way, I've got the same problem. Anybody have any suggestions?

There's a tool called Submerge (not free) that can hard-code subtitles onto a movie, but it doesn't output DVDs directly. You'd have to export an intermediate movie file with subs, and then burn that in Toast, as two steps (and two compression generations!). Not so cool...

I sometimes use a conversion software* that is also able to hook into QuickTime, and those conversions still incorporate the Perian rendered subtitles. I don't think that Mavericks made Perian aided conversions impossible per se, although I can't get it to work with Toast either.

Well, after doing a lot of research (and after taking advantage of the free trial), I went with Submerge. Basically, it can read most subtitle files that the old Perian couldn't and as long as they are in the same folder as the movie, you can output a file with the subtitles hard burned into the movie itself, ready to burn by Toast. It also gives you a choice of sites where you can go look for subtitles if your movie didn't have them with it. So far I haven't had any problems finding subtitles for any movie.

Yes, it's a bit more time-consuming and you have to buy Submerge (it's a pretty good deal compared to some of the other softwares available out there, and be careful, some of the "free" ones will just make you waste your time), but at the same time it has forced me to stop being so dependent on the Quicktime Player. I now use something called MPlayerX, it's free, and it has played every type of file I've thrown at it. Furthermore, it still incorporates the subtitles the same way QT used to before the upgrade to Mavericks.

As for quality, I have found that if you export the movie from Submerge using the Apple TV of the PS3 720 setting, the movies will keep the same resolution as the original for a SD DVD. For a HD DVD, go for Apple TV or PS3 1080. I also like the ability to make a letterbox screen movie into a widescreen movie automatically but without distorting the movie itself.

These are the times when I wish I knew more about coding so I could upgrade Perian :(