Neaco

Capturing Video Without Firewire?

Question

My computer with full Roxio and a firewire port crashed (hard drive or motherboard). I used this to import video from my Cannon HV20 DV camcorder. My newer computer does not have firewire, only USB and HDMI inputs. QUESTION: Can I use USB or HDMI to import my video from the camcorder? My newer computer came with Roxio software and showed the page allowing video capture. I have used it to burn discs. When I later clicked on the video capture, I was suprised to find out that I needed to pay for a full program that enables the video capture. I do not want to pay for this upgrade and then find out that I cannot capture with USB or HDMI. Thanks.

5 answers to this question

Most of the "bundled" software that comes free or cheaply with new computers is "reduced ability" teasers, given free or cheaply to you to encourage you to buy the full version.

Did you know you can get PCIE Firewire cards quite cheaply to add a couple of Firewire ports to your computer? One would save the expense of new software, and they don't cost much - e.g. From $13 to $16 from Amazon.

It's worth investigating.

• Like 1

I have an older Sony camcorder (DRV-950) that has both a DV firewire and USB output. Just curious if NXT2 will support this.

Do you have a Firewire port on your system and does you OS support Firewire?

Do not use the USB output to your computer with this program. The program thinks that it is a web cam and doesn;t record the audio. Windows Movie Maker may give you some options there.

Edited by sknis