Bd Burn Failure

StevenMR

Question

When I try to burn a BD disk from Mac OS 10.7.5 I get an error message that says "Could not record the disk because too many files are open. Result Code = -42" Then Toast crashes on me. The files come from TiVo Transfer. I've tried trashing the Toast Pref files - no change. Can anyone help?

7 answers to this question

Not sure which Toast settings you're asking about. Write speed = Best, Media is set to Blue Ray Video, Destination is set to my internal Blue Ray burner.

For the disk I'm trying to burn now, the file size indicated is 16.17 Gb with 7.14 Gb of disk space remaining.

No video editing whatsoever - it's a straight drag and drop.

Tivo video is dragged from the Media pane in Toast (it shows up there once I've downloaded the file from my Tivo to my Mac via Tivo Desktop) into the main Burn window.

The burn process makes it through the Multiplexing but during the Filling Ram Cache stage it stops. This time I'm looking at a different error message: "The file “00001.m2ts” could not be accessed. (Data fork, -42)

Not sure which Toast settings you're asking about. Write speed = Best, Media is set to Blue Ray Video, Destination is set to my internal Blue Ray burner.

For the disk I'm trying to burn now, the file size indicated is 16.17 Gb with 7.14 Gb of disk space remaining.

No video editing whatsoever - it's a straight drag and drop.

Tivo video is dragged from the Media pane in Toast (it shows up there once I've downloaded the file from my Tivo to my Mac via Tivo Desktop) into the main Burn window.

The burn process makes it through the Multiplexing but during the Filling Ram Cache stage it stops. This time I'm looking at a different error message: "The file “00001.m2ts” could not be accessed. (Data fork, -42)

Seems to me that you're doing things right. You might want to run the permissions repair using Disk Utility. Empty the Roxio Converted Items folder in your Documents folder. Instead of clicking the burn button choose Save as Disc Image from the File menu. When that is complete (hopefully) you can burn the resulting .toast file to disc using the Image File setting in the Copy window.

I've already tried to repair permissions. I trashed everything in the Converted Items folder and tried to save as a Disk Image instead of burning. Same problem - a -42 error.

Have you tried a different TiVo transferred video? By choosing Save as Disc Image you can do that as a test without wasting a disc.

Edited by tsantee

I've tried with a variety of TiVo transfer files and get the same results. On rare occasion the burn is successful, but it's been a while since that's happened. I'm not losing BD disks since the process never gets as far as actually initiating the burn, but I'm also not able to use the software as intended. I'm able to burn non-BD dvds without a problem, though occasionally Toast will crash upon completion of the burn.

I just made two Blu-ray video discs using videos from TiVo Transfer on my iMac running 10.8.5. In both cases Toast started by multiplexing the video twice and then proceeded with writing. I also used Toast to edit the commercials out of the videos. So I'm unable to replicate the problem you're having.

If Toast is showing that it is encoding rather than multiplexing the video, go to the custom encoder settings window and choose Never next to Re-encoding.

I'm sorry but I don't know what is the reason for the issue on your Mac. Possibly it is a system directory issue such as those repaired with DiskWarrior.