Cleaning Digitized Vinyl Lp Tracks

aras

Question

I am in the process of digitizing some old vinyl using Sound Editor in Roxio 2011. I used to do this regularly but it has been some time since I used the clean and enhance features and so need a refresher.

My problem is that I do not want to treat the entire track with the cleaning options. When I click on the Clean up Audio button at the top of the Roxio Sound Editor window I am given three options: Clean, Enhancer & Equalizer. When I click on Clean I receive a popup window that allows me to adjust the intensity or threshold for the following parameters: Declicker, Decrackler, Denoiser & Noise. When I have tried applying these filters, it markedly affects the quality of the entire track - the track becomes deadened and less lively. What I want to be able to do is to manually identify the pops and clicks (the serious ones are very easy to identify on the waveform displayed in the Sound Editor window) and simply remove those specific pops, I don't want to treat the entire track.

I remember being able to do this a couple of years ago, but I have simply forgotten how. Is anyone able to refresh my memory?

Thanks so much.

aras

9 answers to this question

For serious editing like that I prefer using Goldwave because it has a feature where you can "repaint" the signal by hand to remove and "recreate" or at least "mask" the changes you're making. I know that's suggesting a different program, but it has editing capabilities beyond what Sound Editor can do.

As for the other cleaning options in Sound Editor, you do need to turn them down. The defaults are definitely too high and affect the actual music too much. Obviously, any sort of cleaning is a balance between how much noise you remove and leave, and how much the music is affected or not. Again, there are other tools that are more sophisticated than Sound Editor, and I have some of those as well.

Was there a audio extra bonus program in Roxio Creator 2011? Something like Bias Sound Soap? Was that what you were thinking of? Look at your Windows all programs for "Bias". Let us know.

Hi sknis, I couldn't find the Bias Sound Soap. I guess it wasn't included when I purchased and downloaded Roxio 2011.

For serious editing like that I prefer using Goldwave because it has a feature where you can "repaint" the signal by hand to remove and "recreate" or at least "mask" the changes you're making. I know that's suggesting a different program, but it has editing capabilities beyond what Sound Editor can do.

As for the other cleaning options in Sound Editor, you do need to turn them down. The defaults are definitely too high and affect the actual music too much. Obviously, any sort of cleaning is a balance between how much noise you remove and leave, and how much the music is affected or not. Again, there are other tools that are more sophisticated than Sound Editor, and I have some of those as well.

Hi Dave, I tried resurrecting an old program I used to use long ago by Creative Labs called Wave Studio 7 and it was able to do exactly what I wanted it to do. That is highlight exactly where the pop occurred on the LP and remove it without affecting the entire recording - only that part of the waveform I highlight and zoom in on is impacted. However, when I went to save the edited wav file I received a popup window stating there was insufficient room to save the clip. Not sure what that is about - must be because it is an ancient program not up to the Windows 7 OS (yes, that is how old it is).

What is strange is that when I go back to Roxio's Sound Editor it seems that I should be able to do the same thing: highlight the portion I wish to clean. Because when I do highlight where the pop is and then clean it, a mark is placed where I highlight indicating that the effect was applied there and only there. However, no matter how much I play with the filter levels, the pop remains, unlike when I used the Creative Labs Wave Studio sound editor.

So it appears that the Roxio 2011 cleaning feature is somewhat useless for my purposes.

Of course, I could still be doing something completely wrong.

I don't really want to lay out more bucks for another sound editing program. This is something I want to do for just a few LPs that are worth digitizing because they are here and in relatively good condition. If it comes to needing to purchase some more software, I would rather simply purchase replacement CDs and chalk up my money used on Roxio 2011 as a poor investment.

Live and learn....

Cheers

aras

Edited by aras

[snip]

Hi Dave, I tried resurrecting an old program I used to use long ago by Creative Labs called Wave Studio 7 and it was able to do exactly what I wanted it to do. That is highlight exactly where the pop occurred on the LP and remove it without affecting the entire recording - only that part of the waveform I highlight and zoom in on is impacted. However, when I went to save the edited wav file I received a popup window stating there was insufficient room to save the clip. Not sure what that is about - must be because it is an ancient program not up to the Windows 7 OS (yes, that is how old it is).

aras

Did you check the Creative website for an upgraded Wave Studio7 driver, for your card and Windows 7?

Edited by grandpabruce

Did you check the Creative website for an upgraded Wave Studio7 driver, for your card and Windows 7?

Thanks for the suggestion GrandpaBruce. There actually was a more recent version of Wave Studio 7 on the Creative website but it still doesn't work. Something about there being insufficient space in the temp folder - which is ridiculous as I have a 1 TB HDD and still have 1/2 a TB of space remaining.

I finally found the Learning Center in Roxio Creator 2011 and figured out that Sound Editor is supposed to be able to apply cleaning to selected portions of a track. So I tried that - highlighting a section of a track exactly where the pop is located and then applying the cleaning filters. This drops an icon under the waveform where I have cleaned indicating that it has been scrubbed of the pop - but upon playback the pop is still clear as before. I even tried saving the track as a wav and playing it in iTunes, but there is no difference. For whatever reason my installation of Roxio Creator 2011 will not clean the audio using the supplied filters.

Not sure what is up.

aras

Aras, There is a limit in the amount of space in the TEMP and TMP folder. They must be cleaned out periodically. You can download a free version of "CCleaner" and select to clean the folders. DO NOT use the registry cleaner since you are not having trouble with that.

Dave D-W suggested Gold Wave. They have a very generous trial period. I find it easier to use than Audacity. You don't have to buy it to use it for the few instances that you need.

Aras, There is a limit in the amount of space in the TEMP and TMP folder. They must be cleaned out periodically. You can download a free version of "CCleaner" and select to clean the folders. DO NOT use the registry cleaner since you are not having trouble with that.

Dave D-W suggested Gold Wave. They have a very generous trial period. I find it easier to use than Audacity. You don't have to buy it to use it for the few instances that you need.

Thanks for pointing out that GoldWave has a free trial period. I had a look at it when it was first mentioned yesterday and decided against it when I saw that it was not freeware. I'll give it a go given it has a trial period.

And Wave Studio must be using a different temp folder then I know of. I emptied the temp folder when that error happened and so stopped using it - I have better things to do with my time than hunt for temp folders. But I have used CCleaner many times in the past. I'll run it now and see if that fixes the issue with Wave Studio.

thanks again everyone for your help.

aras